Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:09:47 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

For the record the boat is in San Diego Bay.

"Falky foo" wrote in message
. com...
Whenever my boat's at anchor or in slip at night, I hear weird rapid and
random clicking noises coming from, I think, the bottom of the boat. It's
sort of the sound of pop rocks on your tongue or really loud champagne
bubbles or of pop corn popping in the microwave (but not that loud).

Somebody told me it was barnacles feeding. Is that right? It doesn't
happen when the boat is moving and I don't remember if it happens in the
day.

The old wooden ferry at the San Diego waterfront museum had that noise
when I visited a few years ago. The docent said it was a kind of tiny
shrimp common in the harbor.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?
Falky foo

If they're brine shrimp that means they're SEA MONKEYS!!

Her: Honey what are those popping noises coming from outside?
Me: Those are sea monkeys.
Her: No really sweetheart, what are those noises?
Me: Sea Monkeys
Her: I'm serious!!
Me: SEA MONKEYS!!

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message
They're called "Brine Shrimp", and when our boat was moored at Harbor
Island, we heard them too. Other noises you may hear in San Diego bay are
"Croakers" (a species of fish) and Harbor Seals (as they swim under your
boat to catch fish). Every once and a while, you may also hear the

Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

Byron Creek

"Falky foo" wrote in message
. com...
For the record the boat is in San Diego Bay.

My boat is in Sydney, Australia and I get that noise at night too.

"Falky foo" wrote in message
om...
Whenever my boat's at anchor or in slip at night, I hear weird rapid and
random clicking noises coming from, I think, the bottom of the boat.

It's
sort of the sound of pop rocks on your tongue or really loud champagne
bubbles or of pop corn popping in the microwave (but not that loud).

Somebody told me it was barnacles feeding. Is that right? It doesn't
happen when the boat is moving and I don't remember if it happens in the
day.

Earl Colby Pottinger

"renewontime dot com" :

Every once and a while, you may also hear the Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

Where do people get these crazy ideas from? The very idea that the Navy
trains dolphins belongs in woo-woo land! Please try to get your facts right
in the future. The dolphins are training the Navy to give them free fish!
Now you know where your tax dollars are going.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Jr Gilbreath

Quick, tell the Navy they are in woo-woo land.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f...25-1715834.php

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
"renewontime dot com" :

Every once and a while, you may also hear the Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

Where do people get these crazy ideas from? The very idea that the Navy
trains dolphins belongs in woo-woo land! Please try to get your facts right
in the future. The dolphins are training the Navy to give them free fish!
Now you know where your tax dollars are going.

Earl Colby Pottinger

Tom Dacon

They're 'pistol shrimp'. One of their claws is small, and the other is
rather large, and one of the joints in the big claw cavitates, so I've
heard, when they operate it. I've heard them in Marina del Rey as well as in
San Diego Bay.

Tom Dacon

"Falky foo" wrote in message
om...
Whenever my boat's at anchor or in slip at night, I hear weird rapid and
random clicking noises coming from, I think, the bottom of the boat. It's
sort of the sound of pop rocks on your tongue or really loud champagne
bubbles or of pop corn popping in the microwave (but not that loud).

Somebody told me it was barnacles feeding. Is that right? It doesn't
happen when the boat is moving and I don't remember if it happens in the
day.

renewontime dot com

Every once and a while, you may also hear the Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

Where do people get these crazy ideas from?

Sorry Earl, crazy as it may seem, it's all true. I'm a retired Lieutenant
Commander from the US Navy, and back in the 70's and 80's trained dolphins
were referred to (this was Top Secret info back then) as the "Mark 8", used
for anti-swimmer and anti-mine defense. One of the ships I served on used
the "Mark 8" several times in training exercises. The holding pen for the
dolphins and harbor seals that the Navy trains is just to the North of
Shelter Island. If you've ever sailed there, I'm sure you've seen them. In
fact, just about everyone that's ever sailed San Diego Bay has seen the
Special Ops folks driving Boston Whalers with a -blue foam triangular-
carrier on deck, that's what they transport the dolphins with.

Shortly after declassifying the project, the Navy announced that they were
going to disband it, but as far as I know, the pens, the animals and the
program are still active.

This is not to say that I condone this use/misuse of our waterborne friends,
I'm just telling you that it is being done.

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

akcarlos

I dont belive it could be Shrimp as we get that noise in New Zealand
in places where there are no shimp.

I have noticed that this noise only occurs in harbours with a sandy or
muddy floor but not with a rocky bottom.
Other theorys have been that they are small crabs on the seabed

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:30:47 -1000, "renewontime dot com"
wrote:

Every once and a while, you may also hear the Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

Where do people get these crazy ideas from?

Sorry Earl, crazy as it may seem, it's all true. I'm a retired Lieutenant
Commander from the US Navy,

///
This is not to say that I condone this use/misuse of our waterborne friends,
I'm just telling you that it is being done.

Hmmm...someone didn't read the dolphin post quite well enough, I'd
say?

:-)

Brian W