renewontime dot com

Every once and a while, you may also hear the Dolphns
that the Navy trains for their "Special Ops" (they sometimes take the
dolphins down the channel behind Harbor Island.

Where do people get these crazy ideas from?

Sorry Earl, crazy as it may seem, it's all true. I'm a retired Lieutenant
Commander from the US Navy, and back in the 70's and 80's trained dolphins
were referred to (this was Top Secret info back then) as the "Mark 8", used
for anti-swimmer and anti-mine defense. One of the ships I served on used
the "Mark 8" several times in training exercises. The holding pen for the
dolphins and harbor seals that the Navy trains is just to the North of
Shelter Island. If you've ever sailed there, I'm sure you've seen them. In
fact, just about everyone that's ever sailed San Diego Bay has seen the
Special Ops folks driving Boston Whalers with a -blue foam triangular-
carrier on deck, that's what they transport the dolphins with.

Shortly after declassifying the project, the Navy announced that they were
going to disband it, but as far as I know, the pens, the animals and the
program are still active.

This is not to say that I condone this use/misuse of our waterborne friends,
I'm just telling you that it is being done.

--
Paul

renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com