Wayne.B

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:13:08 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

Don't know about Liberty Mutual, but with our first boat we had Allstate
simply becaused we already had our home insurance through them. But they
didn't know diddly-squat about boats.

=================================

Ditto for State Farm and I suspect all of the other "non marine"
carriers. It took me months to get a relatively small claim settled
with State Farm many years ago.

Doug Dotson

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
Have their rates come down a bit? Just as a reference point, any idea
what $100, 000 would cost these days? Just for grins I'll give them a
call.

There are too many variables to predict - My new catamaran was somewhat
cheaper that my older boat. Give them a try and find out.

I did and they came up short, but I'll try again to see if things have
changed.

The t-bone incident had an surprising aspect: because my friends admitted
they didn't see the other boat, they were assessed 24% of the blame - the
port/starboard rule only applies "when in sight" and thus was somewhat
voided because of the lack of a proper lookout. My friends had to pay
24% of both deductibles, the other boat paid the remainder.

You've got to wonder where values like 24% come from.

The way we figured it, the port/starboard issue was considered primary,
worth 52%, and the liability bourne completely by the Soling. The lookout
issue was worth 48% and shared by both vessels, who obviously didn't see
each other. I suppose you could argue that maintaining a proper lookout
is more important, but that's not the way the insurance folks saw it.
BTW, this was not a court judgement, its was the "ruling" by the insurance
companies who get together to hash these matters out.

Where do these percentage figures come from? 52% vs 48%? What is the
margin or error? Or more importantly how would one calculate such
figures?

Doug

Jr Gilbreath

Hi Doug
I checked on the national marine underwriter and they were more than
West Marine. Plus if you change insurance it seems you have to get a
new survey (not cheap). Mine will cover out to 75 miles Plus bahamas so
I guess I will just stay with it. thanks for the suggestion.
JR Gilbreath
s/v Savannah Daydreamin

wrote:

Don't know about Liberty Mutual, but with our first boat we had Allstate
simply becaused we already had our home insurance through them. But they
didn't know diddly-squat about boats.

=================================

Ditto for State Farm and I suspect all of the other "non marine"
carriers. It took me months to get a relatively small claim settled
with State Farm many years ago.

Keith

Try Al Golden at IMIS http://www.imiscorp.net/
Independent agent and boater... knows his stuff.

--

Keith
__
"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..
If you have auto, homeowners, or umbrella with Liberty Mutual, they will
insure your boat for about half of what stand alone boat insurance is.
The only drawback I can see is that they won't insure for operation in
Canadian waters. Canadian portion of the Great Lakes is OK. Next year,
when we want to got to Canada which is only a couple day's sail away,
we'll have to change insurance. If you want to go to the Bahamas, you
probably will have the same problem.

--

Roger Long

"Jr Gilbreath" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have any leads on good deals in boat insurance. My policy
renewal premium is just about double. Must pay for the hurricanes I
guess.

Steve

I also recommend USAA and have had my boats insured with them for over 25
years.

However, USAA is primarily for US military officers, former officers or
their families. To qualify as a family member is not to difficult. Just
having an immediate family member who is or has been a military officer will
do the trick.

They may have opened up membership to other groups, such as law enforcement.
Wouldn't hurt to check.

When I insured my present boat 3 years ago, the were just placing a $100,000
cap on the yacht policy and anything over that would be assigned to an
underwriter. I was lucky, since they were already in the process of writing
my policy when this went into effect. I think I heard that the cap has now
been lowered to $50,000 now for new policies. Still the rates are still good
even with an underwriter if your referral comes from USAA (so I'm told).

Another nice feature about USAA is you can take your boat anywhere with no
limitation or riders required.

On the negative side, USAA has a 2% deductible on their yacht policy. Kind
of a big "ouch" if your into petty claims, but that is how they keep their
rates so low.

Excellent home and car insurance as well..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I use USAA, cheaper than Boat/US but not everyone qualifies.

Capt. Jeff

Jeff Morris

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:18:08 -0500, Jeff Morris
said:

The t-bone incident had an surprising aspect: because my friends
admitted they didn't see the other boat, they were assessed 24% of the
blame - the port/starboard rule only applies "when in sight" and thus
was somewhat voided because of the lack of a proper lookout.

That has to be the worst reasoning I've heard of in years. Sounds like a
good reason not to use BoatUS.

So what's wrong? Are you claiming that that the port-tacker was 100%
at fault? Or are you questioning the actual distribution? I can only
guess at the logic behind it, but clearly "We weren't looking to port
because we have right of way over those boats" isn't a good excuse.

Remember that Boat/US paid a considerable amount to repair the starboard
tacker - new roller furling (not cheap on a 41 footer) plus a serious
hole in the bow repaired. All of the work was approved immediately -
IIRC within a few days after the accident they were saying, "do the work
and send us the bill."

So the liability issue only had to do with the deductibles. According
to the settlement, my friends were responsible for 24% of both, or a few
hundred dollars. Not too bad, considering the situation.

I've heard that representatives of the various insurance companies get
together to determine how to divide up the various liabilities. I
assume this 24% number comes down from that.
Roger Long

Plus, even if they didn't see the other vessel, up to a point they
were probably proceeding exactly as a right of way vessel should in a
crossing situation. The right of way vessel has to maintain a
straight and predictable course so that they can be avoided. If it
becomes clear that there will be a collision, the right of way vessel
must take action to avoid it but doing that too soon can create a
hazard or collision out of a simple crossing if the burdened vessel
can't figure out the intent and predict the course.

If your friends were altering course as the right of way vessel and
not keeping a lookout, then they would be more than 24% wrong in my
book.

--

Roger Long