Doug Dotson

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
Have their rates come down a bit? Just as a reference point, any idea
what $100, 000 would cost these days? Just for grins I'll give them a
call.

There are too many variables to predict - My new catamaran was somewhat
cheaper that my older boat. Give them a try and find out.

I did and they came up short, but I'll try again to see if things have
changed.

The t-bone incident had an surprising aspect: because my friends admitted
they didn't see the other boat, they were assessed 24% of the blame - the
port/starboard rule only applies "when in sight" and thus was somewhat
voided because of the lack of a proper lookout. My friends had to pay
24% of both deductibles, the other boat paid the remainder.

You've got to wonder where values like 24% come from.

The way we figured it, the port/starboard issue was considered primary,
worth 52%, and the liability bourne completely by the Soling. The lookout
issue was worth 48% and shared by both vessels, who obviously didn't see
each other. I suppose you could argue that maintaining a proper lookout
is more important, but that's not the way the insurance folks saw it.
BTW, this was not a court judgement, its was the "ruling" by the insurance
companies who get together to hash these matters out.

Where do these percentage figures come from? 52% vs 48%? What is the
margin or error? Or more importantly how would one calculate such
figures?

Doug