Jeff Morris

Danforth used to make a telltale compass for about $100. I foolishly
let one go with my old boat, and now I can't find one. I actually
ordered one from a "closeout" a few months ago, and was told I was too
late.

I anyone has a source, I'd like to get one!

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
"rhys" wrote in message

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:33:03 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I can see it from the v-berth where we
sleep, so it's a quick way to tell what's going on with the wind without
having to get up.

Ah, my kind of sailor. I'll bet you've recycled a cloudy-domed
bulkhead compass for the same "roll over, check course, resume nap"
tactic G

R.

That's one item I'd like to find: a "read from below" compass - the kind
you mount on the overhead above your berth. Anybody have a source?

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:20:48 -0500, James wrote:

Glen "Wiley" Wilson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:14:17 -0800, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

Ah yes, the telltale compass. I've wanted one for years. Take a look
he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2BC526E9

and you'll see why I don't have one yet. Sure like to find one at a
reasonable price.

Plastimo makes a great hand bearing compass that comes with a mounting
bracket. You can mount it to a bulkhead or overhead and read it no
problem while mounted, and snap it out of the mount to use on deck for
taking bearings. Cost is only about $100.00. Two versions, one lighted
(batteries) one not.

I've had one for a couple of years. It's ideal for use near a bunk.
Beats getting out of a warm bed anytime!

Indeed. I have a Silva bearing compass on the bulkheard. It works
in that position, though it won't work on the overhead. Regardless,
it lacks somewhat in aesthetics. I prefer to minimize the ugly lumps
of plastic wherever possible. :-)
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Doug Dotson

How did the "captain's compass" get into the "Air-X marine wind generator"
thread?
Kind of annoying.

Doug
s/v Callista

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

rhys

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:46:50 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

How did the "captain's compass" get into the "Air-X marine wind generator"
thread?
Kind of annoying.

Doug
s/v Callista

Doug, your newsreader or news serverr has scrambled your message list.
This thread is properly called "Captain's Compass".

I suggest to fix it you delete this group as subscribed, then
RE-subscribe, which will bring you several months' worth of messages.
Delete from the beginning to, say, the last month (Oct 30). This will
preserve all threads currently in play (likely that you are following)
and the NEXT time you download news group messages, you should see
that all messages are where they should be.

R.
Keith

Last time I searched, I only found one at some "elegant" place like Sharper
Image, or some jewelry place... it was very nice, but about $800. I can't
remember where it was, but if you find one, let us know!

--

Keith
__
wrote:

R.

That's one item I'd like to find: a "read from below" compass - the kind
you mount on the overhead above your berth. Anybody have a source?

Not without spending ten minutes with Google...but I suspect that the
type of gimballed aviation compass of several decades back and
mountable on bulkheads would work quite well if you kept it away from
nearby steel deck gear.

R.

James

wrote:

How did the "captain's compass" get into the "Air-X marine wind generator"
thread?
Kind of annoying.

Doug
s/v Callista

Doug, your newsreader or news serverr has scrambled your message list.
This thread is properly called "Captain's Compass".

I suggest to fix it you delete this group as subscribed, then
RE-subscribe, which will bring you several months' worth of messages.
Delete from the beginning to, say, the last month (Oct 30). This will
preserve all threads currently in play (likely that you are following)
and the NEXT time you download news group messages, you should see
that all messages are where they should be.

R.

Doug

Don't bother unsubscribing and resubscribing.

Further up someone mentioned that they could view their LED based amp
output from the wind genny from their v berth and could guestimate wind
speed without getting out of bed. From there someone else suggested
checking a compass too, presumably to see if they had swung at anchor.
Hence the change of subject. At least they changed the subject line so
you can avoid reading it. That's not always done.

Anyway thread divergence at that point was inevitable. If you wait long
enough the discussion will turn to guns aboard (within reach of the bunk
of course).

: )

Jimmy
Geoff Schultz

James wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Did I also mention that I have a RayMarine MaxiView display that I can
also see from the berth and I can program it to display any of the
instrument data such as wind/depth/course/speed/etc? :-)

-- Geoff

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:35:51 -0500, James wrote:

Anyway thread divergence at that point was inevitable. If you wait long
enough the discussion will turn to guns aboard (within reach of the bunk
of course).

Actually, it just did. :-)

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:06:58 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Did I also mention that I have a RayMarine MaxiView display that I can
also see from the berth and I can program it to display any of the
instrument data such as wind/depth/course/speed/etc? :-)

Actually, I think that's an excellent idea, but I rolled my own. See
the crass commercial message in my sig. :-) I've been asked to
extend the program with an intelligent anchor watch. Something
that would suppress spurious alarms when the gps loses lock for
a few seconds. I'd never have thought of that myself, but it's a
fact that I've never had a complete night without my gps deciding
Scotty beamed me a few hundred yards in some random direction.
Which causes OziExplorer's otherwise excellent anchor watch to
start screaming.

It's doable, but the data filtering will be tricky. I've found that
you can't always trust the gps to notice that it's lost accuracy, so
I'll have to implement some kind of statistical filter that ignores
the big jumps but notices a small steady drift.

I haven't quite worked out how to handle wind and current reversals
yet. If you could do that, you could tighten the safe distance quite
a bit. It seems that treating the safe swing area as a circle around
your current position, as anchor alarms do, is wrong. It's really a
circle around the anchor's position. Maybe a bearing and distance to
the anchor float could be used as an offset to current position?
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Ryk

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:03:59 GMT, "Glen \"Wiley\" Wilson"
wrote:

It's doable, but the data filtering will be tricky. I've found that
you can't always trust the gps to notice that it's lost accuracy, so
I'll have to implement some kind of statistical filter that ignores
the big jumps but notices a small steady drift.

My recent GPS experience differs from yours, tracking pretty steadily
without glitchy jumps.

I haven't quite worked out how to handle wind and current reversals
yet. If you could do that, you could tighten the safe distance quite
a bit. It seems that treating the safe swing area as a circle around
your current position, as anchor alarms do, is wrong. It's really a
circle around the anchor's position. Maybe a bearing and distance to
the anchor float could be used as an offset to current position?

I have some very convincing GPS tracks watching my boat swing around
its anchor, showing the circle around the anchor. I like having the
alarm wake me in the night even if it's just a swing through a
significant chunk of arc. I also like having the GPS maintaining it's
display track right by my berth. It's very reassuring to look over and
see my position smack in the middle of hours of accumulated data.

Ryk

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
Wind generator questions Questions Cruising 1 July 29th 03 07:14 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM