Jim Lea

Default Cuba

A few months ago, the President implemented even stricter rules governing
visits to Cuba. I am a Canadian with a Canadian registered boat planning to
visit Cuba next winter, but the new rules appear to include me if I leave
from USA.
Does anyone have any recent experience?

Wayne.B

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:03:01 -0300, "Jim Lea" wrote:
A few months ago, the President implemented even stricter rules governing
visits to Cuba. I am a Canadian with a Canadian registered boat planning to
visit Cuba next winter, but the new rules appear to include me if I leave
from USA.
Does anyone have any recent experience?

======================================

No but from Florida it would be very easy to go by way of the Bahamas,
Cayman Islands or Mexico.

LaBomba182

Subject: Cuba
From: Wayne.B

No but from Florida it would be very easy to go by way of the Bahamas,
Cayman Islands or Mexico.

Why would you want to go around and passed Cuba to get to Cuba?

Florida to Caymans to Cuba? :-)

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

From: Wayne.B

(LaBomba182) wrote:

Why would you want to go around and passed Cuba to get to Cuba?

Florida to Caymans to Cuba? :-)

To legally circumvent any possible US travel restrictions (he's a
non-US boat/citizen).

It was a joke Wayne. :-)
Take a look at a chart.

Capt. Bill

Glenn Ashmore

Here is some corespondence between a Canadian sailor and the US Ambasador to
Canada and other authorities.
http://www.internationalchallenge.org/cuba/whatsnew.htm

The jist from the US State Department is: "a Canadian crew aboard a Canadian
vessel traveling through American waters with no intent to carry funds or
commerce to the Cuban people is "at risk" of removal from their vessel and
seizure of their boat. The U.S. Coast Guard would be operating within their
legal jurisdiction if they were to take such action...even for vessels that
are clearly noncommercial."

What that really means is that, by executive order of the President, if the
USCG suspects that you may go to Cuba even after visiting another country if
you have been in US waters they can sieze your boat ANYWHERE they find you.
They patrol the Florida Straight and Old Bahama Channel pretty heavily with
helicopters, cutters and Orions and will quickly know if you have recently
been in US waters so be careful. You better hope that they don't monitor
this news group. The outlook is bleak but hopefully may improve after next
Tuesday.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Jim Lea" wrote in message
A few months ago, the President implemented even stricter rules governing
visits to Cuba. I am a Canadian with a Canadian registered boat planning

visit Cuba next winter, but the new rules appear to include me if I leave
from USA.
Does anyone have any recent experience?

Garuda

Why would the current situation improve next Tuesday? Do you think the
Castro regime is in need of Heinz products? Your "jist" is suspect as is
your overall outlook.

Armond Perretta

Garuda wrote:
Why would the current situation improve next Tuesday? Do you think
the Castro regime is in need of Heinz products?

I can't speak for the "regime" but I know from first hand experience that
the populace would be very pleased to have access to just about any
reputable canned goods.

Re your first question, things could begin looking up if the moron living at
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue had to make arrangements to move his furniture back
to Crawford in mid to late January. I guess we'll just have to see what
Jesus decides on Tuesday (if you think this is some sort of joke or in poor
taste, then you haven't been paying attention to what goes on inside that
moron's head).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat