rhys

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:35:33 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:05:37 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

Actually the two letters only mention seizure while in US waters. The US
would be violating a lot of international laws if it started unilaterlly
seizing boats in international waters.

======================

It's a long way from Canada to Cuba without going through US waters.

Yeah, but it's an even longer swim if the Coasties think your boat is
worth seizing because you smoked a cigar on the foredeck. Forget it. I
will not sail near America until regime change brings an end to the
terrorism.

Oopsie, did I say that? G

R.

Paul Schilter

I'm surprised you guys don't invade us and restore democracy and free us
from a tyrannical leader who stole the last election. If he ran your
country, by his rules, he would.
Paul

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Falky foo wrote:

Doesn't Canada have anything to say about this?

Well this Canadian does.
What the hell would it matter what the Canadian government or any other
govt for that matter has to say about US foreign policy? You guys have
the 2nd biggest threat to world peace as your president and the biggest
threat to world peace i.e., the idiot Rumsfeld telling him what to do. You
don't like a "regime"? Pre-emptively start a war on false pretexts, lie
to your populace, scare them with terrorist boogeyman propaganda and do
whatever the hell you want. Who is going to give a damn about an impounded
Canadian yacht in the context of a country that will spend $500billion and
counting to extend its military might across the globe in an imperialistic
invasion and occupation of another sovereign nation?

Paul Schilter

Evan,
And when has that stopped them in the past.
Paul

snipped

--
Evan Gatehouse

Phil

Why does everyone seem to want to go to Cuba?? Isn't there any other islands
worth visiting? Or is it just because someone said you can't go?

Phil

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
allows them in, and there is no specific safety issue that might require
them to be "extricated" by the US government.

Isn't it a communist country? I guess anyone's ass is fair game for them to
lock up and throw away the key just for the hell of it? Cuba isn't a free
country is it?
I wasn't looking for a political argument either way, I was just thinking
how many other places that would be great to cruise to that may be safer.
Just me I guess but I don't think I would want to make that a nice cruising
destination. All the green uniforms make me nervous :-)
I do agree that is really stupid to confiscate someones boat just for
"thinking" about going. I think my bank would be ****ed!

Wayne.B

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:52:54 GMT, "Phil" wrote:

I wasn't looking for a political argument either way, I was just thinking
how many other places that would be great to cruise to that may be safer.

================================

Cuba is a beautiful country with good weather, good people, good
fishing, many fine harbors, and it happens to be only 90 miles from
the US. A better cruising destination would be hard to find.

Jack Dale

This might be of interest

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...336EDT0840.DTL

A judge dismissed charges Friday against organizers of a sailboat race
from Key West to Cuba who were accused of violating federal laws
against trading with enemy nations.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)
MMC

Based on our history, I can see how people could get confused about how we
can be allies with a country and then enemies with the same country within a
very short time. Or how we can be enemies and then abruptly change to being
allies.......
Occurred to me yesterday that I hadn't seen Bush Senior out campaigning for
Junior.........maybe he doesn't buy the BS.
MMC
Phil wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
allows them in, and there is no specific safety issue that might require
them to be "extricated" by the US government.

Isn't it a communist country? I guess anyone's ass is fair game for them
lock up and throw away the key just for the hell of it? Cuba isn't a free
country is it?

Cuba is a communist country, but visitors there who obey reasonable laws
have no reason to fear arrest. I mean, it's not like visiting the United
States where, if you take a photo of the George Washington Bridge, the
police arrest you for being a terrorist, right? Plus, we do not restrict
travel to plenty of countries far more dangerous than Cuba. Oh...and
there are no travel resttrictions to the People's Republic of
China...and that's a communist country. Quick..which country is more
dangerous...Cuba or the PRC?

--
Today George W. Bush made a very compelling and thoughtful argument
for why he should not be reelected. In his own words, he told the

Geoff Schultz

Jack Dale wrote in
:

This might be of interest

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../2004/10/29/na
tional2336EDT0840.DTL

A judge dismissed charges Friday against organizers of a sailboat race
from Key West to Cuba who were accused of violating federal laws
against trading with enemy nations.

I just wonder how much it cost them to defend themselves...

-- Geoff
Cardinal_Bill

WaIIy wrote:

They were well aware of the laws beforehand.

Actually, I seem to recall, that they had official approval, which was
revoked after the fact and then they were charged.