BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cuba (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/24551-cuba.html)

Jim Lea October 29th 04 12:03 AM

Cuba

A few months ago, the President implemented even stricter rules governing
visits to Cuba. I am a Canadian with a Canadian registered boat planning to
visit Cuba next winter, but the new rules appear to include me if I leave
from USA.
Does anyone have any recent experience?

Wayne.B October 29th 04 12:16 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:03:01 -0300, "Jim Lea" wrote:
A few months ago, the President implemented even stricter rules governing
visits to Cuba. I am a Canadian with a Canadian registered boat planning to
visit Cuba next winter, but the new rules appear to include me if I leave
from USA.
Does anyone have any recent experience?

======================================

No but from Florida it would be very easy to go by way of the Bahamas,
Cayman Islands or Mexico.

LaBomba182 October 29th 04 01:04 AM

Subject: Cuba
From: Wayne.B

No but from Florida it would be very easy to go by way of the Bahamas,
Cayman Islands or Mexico.

Why would you want to go around and passed Cuba to get to Cuba?

Florida to Caymans to Cuba? :-)

Capt. Bill

Wayne.B October 29th 04 01:38 AM

On 29 Oct 2004 00:04:10 GMT, (LaBomba182) wrote:

Why would you want to go around and passed Cuba to get to Cuba?

Florida to Caymans to Cuba? :-)

To legally circumvent any possible US travel restrictions (he's a
non-US boat/citizen).

Glenn Ashmore October 29th 04 02:55 AM

Here is some corespondence between a Canadian sailor and the US Ambasador to
Canada and other authorities.
http://www.internationalchallenge.org/cuba/whatsnew.htm

The jist from the US State Department is: "a Canadian crew aboard a Canadian
vessel traveling through American waters with no intent to carry funds or
commerce to the Cuban people is "at risk" of removal from their vessel and
seizure of their boat. The U.S. Coast Guard would be operating within their
legal jurisdiction if they were to take such action...even for vessels that
are clearly noncommercial."

What that really means is that, by executive order of the President, if the
USCG suspects that you may go to Cuba even after visiting another country if
you have been in US waters they can sieze your boat ANYWHERE they find you.
They patrol the Florida Straight and Old Bahama Channel pretty heavily with
helicopters, cutters and Orions and will quickly know if you have recently
been in US waters so be careful. You better hope that they don't monitor
this news group. The outlook is bleak but hopefully may improve after next
Tuesday.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Garuda October 29th 04 03:35 AM

Why would the current situation improve next Tuesday? Do you think the
Castro regime is in need of Heinz products? Your "jist" is suspect as is
your overall outlook.

LaBomba182 October 29th 04 04:12 AM

From: Wayne.B

(LaBomba182) wrote:

Why would you want to go around and passed Cuba to get to Cuba?

Florida to Caymans to Cuba? :-)

To legally circumvent any possible US travel restrictions (he's a
non-US boat/citizen).

It was a joke Wayne. :-)
Take a look at a chart.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 October 29th 04 04:16 AM

From: "Garuda"

Why would the current situation improve next Tuesday?

It's the Miami connection. It's not as strong on the Dem. side.
In fact, it was about to be broken before Bush got in.

Capt. Bill

rhys October 29th 04 04:22 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:55:09 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

What that really means is that, by executive order of the President, if the
USCG suspects that you may go to Cuba even after visiting another country if
you have been in US waters they can sieze your boat ANYWHERE they find you.

You people happy with your democracy, then?
Just keep listening to your government describe foreigners as the
terrorists, and your government's pirates as "freedom's vanguard" or
whatever.

And the nice people in Wilson, NY wonder where all their Canadian
business went this year...poor *******s.

R.

Falky foo October 29th 04 05:12 AM

The jist from the US State Department is: "a Canadian crew aboard a

Canadian
vessel traveling through American waters with no intent to carry funds or
commerce to the Cuban people is "at risk" of removal from their vessel and
seizure of their boat. The U.S. Coast Guard would be operating within

their
legal jurisdiction if they were to take such action...even for vessels

that
are clearly noncommercial."

Doesn't Canada have anything to say about this?