Doug Dotson

Testing a flaregun as a weapon doesn't really entail firing it
into the air unless you are being attacked by paratroopers.

"rhys" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:25:54 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

I have a 25mm flaregun and some flares that are about to go
out of date. I'll have some fun and get back to the group.

Doug
s/v Callista

Call your Coast Guard first. They don't like false alarms G

Garuda

Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.

"RWKxxx" wrote in message
| Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for a long
time
| but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to have a
gun
| aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special places
that I
| could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were to board me
| unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and would take
| long in that type of emergency.
|
| From: "Doug Dotson"
| Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes. Might knock
| someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually kill an
| attacker.
| Not sure how a flare gun is better?
|
| Doug
| s/v Callista
|
| "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always had a flare
| gun
| setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first suggested to
me I
| was
| in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big barrel
cactus.
| It
| blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the best but
in
| most
| countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it in a
hurry. I
| would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as good as
this
| one
| in my opinion.
|

| I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State, Lake
| Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I was
told
| by
| West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are
| "weapons."
| Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it shoot
| regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is it a
| danger
| to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd appreciate
any
| info?
|
| --
| Steve

Doug Dotson

Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your example
is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs) decision.

Doug

"RWKxxx" wrote in message
| Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for a long
time
| but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to have a
gun
| aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special places
that I
| could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were to board
me
| unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and would
take
| long in that type of emergency.
|
| From: "Doug Dotson"
| Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes. Might
knock
| someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually kill an
| attacker.
| Not sure how a flare gun is better?
|
| Doug
| s/v Callista
|
| "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always had a
flare
| gun
| setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first suggested to
me I
| was
| in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big barrel
cactus.
| It
| blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the best
but
in
| most
| countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it in a
hurry. I
| would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as good as
this
| one
| in my opinion.
|

| I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State, Lake
| Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I was
told
| by
| West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are
| "weapons."
| Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it
shoot
| regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is it a
| danger
| to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
appreciate
any
| info?
|
| --
| Steve

Garuda

At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my own
safety. In port is another matter.
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your example
| is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs) decision.
|
| Doug
|
| "Garuda" wrote in message
| Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
|
| "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for a
long
| time
| | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to have
| gun
| | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special places
| that I
| | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were to
board
| me
| | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and would
| take
| | long in that type of emergency.
| |
| | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes. Might
| knock
| | someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually kill
an
| | attacker.
| | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| |
| | Doug
| | s/v Callista
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always had a
| flare
| | gun
| | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first suggested
| me I
| | was
| | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big barrel
| cactus.
| | It
| | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the best
| but
| in
| | most
| | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it in a
| hurry. I
| | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as good
as
| this
| | one
| | in my opinion.
| |
| |
| |
| | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State, Lake
| | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I
was
| told
| | by
| | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are
| | "weapons."
| | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it
| shoot
| | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is it
| | danger
| | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
| appreciate
| any
| | info?
| |
| | --
| | Steve
| |
| | --
| |

Doug Dotson

Fine, get a gun and a flaregun. Your implication is that a 44 Magnum
is somehow an acceptable flaregun for legal purposes. Not true

"Garuda" wrote in message
At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my own
safety. In port is another matter.
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your example
| is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs) decision.
|
| Doug
|
| "Garuda" wrote in message
| Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
|
| "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for a
long
| time
| | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to
have
| gun
| | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special
places
| that I
| | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were to
board
| me
| | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and
would
| take
| | long in that type of emergency.
| |
| | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes. Might
| knock
| | someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually
kill
an
| | attacker.
| | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| |
| | Doug
| | s/v Callista
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always had a
| flare
| | gun
| | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first
suggested
| me I
| | was
| | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big
barrel
| cactus.
| | It
| | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the
best
| but
| in
| | most
| | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it in a
| hurry. I
| | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as good
as
| this
| | one
| | in my opinion.
| |
| |
| |
| | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State,
Lake
| | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I
was
| told
| | by
| | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are
| | "weapons."
| | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it
| shoot
| | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is
it
| | danger
| | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
| appreciate
| any
| | info?
| |
| | --
| | Steve
| |
| | --
| |

Garuda

Thanks for acquiescing regarding the 44 magnum with tracers. However, I
believe the original thread dealt with flareguns and then migrated to an
inability of plastic gun to be used as a weapon. My point, albeit a bit
oblique, is penetration however slight is sufficient to complete the act.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Fine, get a gun and a flaregun. Your implication is that a 44 Magnum
| is somehow an acceptable flaregun for legal purposes. Not true
|

| "Garuda" wrote in message
| At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my own
| safety. In port is another matter.
| "Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| | Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your example
| | is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs) decision.
| |
| | Doug
| |
| | "Garuda" wrote in message
| | Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for a
| long
| | time
| | | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to
| have
| | gun
| | | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special
| places
| | that I
| | | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were to
| board
| | me
| | | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and
| would
| | take
| | | long in that type of emergency.
| | |
| | | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes.
Might
| | knock
| | | someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually
| kill
| an
| | | attacker.
| | | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| | |
| | | Doug
| | | s/v Callista
| | |
| | | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always had
| | flare
| | | gun
| | | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first
| suggested
| | me I
| | | was
| | | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big
| barrel
| | cactus.
| | | It
| | | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the
| best
| | but
| | in
| | | most
| | | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it in
| | hurry. I
| | | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as
good
| as
| | this
| | | one
| | | in my opinion.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State,
| Lake
| | | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard.
| was
| | told
| | | by
| | | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they
are
| | | "weapons."
| | | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can
it
| | shoot
| | | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is
| it
| | | danger
| | | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
| | appreciate
| | any
| | | info?
| | |
| | | --
| | | Steve
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Doug Dotson

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I don;t think
a flare will even peretrate clothes let alone the person within.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Garuda" wrote in message
Thanks for acquiescing regarding the 44 magnum with tracers. However, I
believe the original thread dealt with flareguns and then migrated to an
inability of plastic gun to be used as a weapon. My point, albeit a bit
oblique, is penetration however slight is sufficient to complete the act.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Fine, get a gun and a flaregun. Your implication is that a 44 Magnum
| is somehow an acceptable flaregun for legal purposes. Not true
|

| "Garuda" wrote in message
| At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my own
| safety. In port is another matter.
| "Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| | Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your example
| | is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs)
decision.
| |
| | Doug
| |
| | "Garuda" wrote in message
| | Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down for
| long
| | time
| | | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal to
| have
| | gun
| | | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in special
| places
| | that I
| | | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were
| board
| | me
| | | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way and
| would
| | take
| | | long in that type of emergency.
| | |
| | | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes.
Might
| | knock
| | | someone down but not kill them. The other options will actually
| kill
| an
| | | attacker.
| | | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| | |
| | | Doug
| | | s/v Callista
| | |
| | | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always
had
| | flare
| | | gun
| | | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first
| suggested
| | me I
| | | was
| | | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big
| barrel
| | cactus.
| | | It
| | | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be the
| best
| | but
| | in
| | | most
| | | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get it
in
| | hurry. I
| | | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not as
good
| as
| | this
| | | one
| | | in my opinion.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State,
| Lake
| | | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard.
| was
| | told
| | | by
| | | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they
are
| | | "weapons."
| | | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can
it
| | shoot
| | | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal?
Is
| it
| | | danger
| | | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
| | appreciate
| | any
| | | info?
| | |
| | | --
| | | Steve
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Me

In article
,
"Garuda" wrote:

At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my own
safety. In port is another matter.

Bzzzzt, Wrong, At Sea, The government is the Flag of your vessel. You
are subject to that flag no matter where you go in the world. they may
not be around to enforce their Laws on you directly, but you actions can
and do come under their preview, and you can be prosecuted for
violations of their Laws upon your return or boarding by their At Sea
LEO's.

Me
Steve Schwartz

Of course, it may not matter how much actual damage a flare gun would do.
(But my common sense tells me it could be pretty nasty fired at someone's
face--and I would have time to reload. Would you want another round between
the cheeks?)

Guns in general may be more effective as symbols than when actually
detonated. As long as the intruder sees the gun and believes that it will
injure them it is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

This might be effective. E.g. drunk teenagers looking for some fun
harassing a boater could be disuaded from continuing their insults without
ever having to fire a shot oops I mean flare at them. If I were attacked by
pirates or really serious criminals, I would not be able to defend myself no
matter what weapons I had. (Are there pirates on Lake Ontario?) It's the
casual intruder with malicious intent that is the one I might be able to
deal with. And frankly I do not want to be simply at the mercy of a
"merely" malicious intruder, etc.

I think all in all a flare pistol might not be a bad idea as a self-defense
"weapon" since actual guns seem to have too many negatives. It at least is
something--a symbol, a threat, an unknown to the intruder who will not want
to find out how effective it is.

Cheers,

Steve

"Garuda" wrote in message
Thanks for acquiescing regarding the 44 magnum with tracers. However, I
believe the original thread dealt with flareguns and then migrated to an
inability of plastic gun to be used as a weapon. My point, albeit a bit
oblique, is penetration however slight is sufficient to complete the

act.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Fine, get a gun and a flaregun. Your implication is that a 44 Magnum
| is somehow an acceptable flaregun for legal purposes. Not true
|

| "Garuda" wrote in message
| At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my

own
| safety. In port is another matter.
| "Doug Dotson" wrote in

message
| | Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your

example
| | is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs)
decision.
| |
| | Doug
| |
| | "Garuda" wrote in message
| | Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down

for
| long
| | time
| | | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal

| have
| | gun
| | | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in

special
| places
| | that I
| | | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone were
| board
| | me
| | | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way

and
| would
| | take
| | | long in that type of emergency.
| | |
| | | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear clothes.
Might
| | knock
| | | someone down but not kill them. The other options will

actually
| kill
| an
| | | attacker.
| | | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| | |
| | | Doug
| | | s/v Callista
| | |
| | | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and always
had
| | flare
| | | gun
| | | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first
| suggested
| | me I
| | | was
| | | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a big
| barrel
| | cactus.
| | | It
| | | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be

the
| best
| | but
| | in
| | | most
| | | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get

it
in
| | hurry. I
| | | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not

as
good
| as
| | this
| | | one
| | | in my opinion.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York

State,
| Lake
| | | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast

Guard.
| was
| | told
| | | by
| | | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as

they
are
| | | "weapons."
| | | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon?

Can
it
| | shoot
| | | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal?
Is
| it
| | | danger
| | | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd
| | appreciate
| | any
| | | info?
| | |
| | | --
| | | Steve
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Doug Dotson

The deterrent value of a firearm is well known. That's why in
areas where handguns have been banned (Wash DC, England, etc)
the crime rates are high. Even Washington DC has finally come to
its senses and is eliminating the ban of private ownership of guns.
Anyway, this is a subject for a different thread/group.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Garuda" wrote in message
Thanks for acquiescing regarding the 44 magnum with tracers. However,
believe the original thread dealt with flareguns and then migrated to
an
inability of plastic gun to be used as a weapon. My point, albeit a
bit
oblique, is penetration however slight is sufficient to complete the

act.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
| Fine, get a gun and a flaregun. Your implication is that a 44 Magnum
| is somehow an acceptable flaregun for legal purposes. Not true
|

| "Garuda" wrote in message
| At sea, there is no government, therefore I am responsible for my

own
| safety. In port is another matter.
| "Doug Dotson" wrote in

message
| | Doesn't matter what you or I think is a good flaregun (your

example
| | is a pretty poor one). It the government's (ours or theirs)
decision.
| |
| | Doug
| |
| | "Garuda" wrote in message
| |
| | Consider a 44 magnum with tracer rounds as a flare pistol.
| |
| | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | Doug, I agree the flare gun may not kill or put someone down

for
| long
| | time
| | | but in my case I was in foreign countries were it was illegal

| have
| | gun
| | | aboard. I could have loaded flare guns laying around in

special
| places
| | that I
| | | could grab and shut it to fire in an emergency if someone
were
| board
| | me
| | | unexpectedly. I did have a gun but it was hidden to far way

and
| would
| | take
| | | long in that type of emergency.
| | |
| | | From: "Doug Dotson"
| | | Cactuses (sp?) have pretty soft flesh and don't wear
clothes.
Might
| | knock
| | | someone down but not kill them. The other options will

actually
| kill
| an
| | | attacker.
| | | Not sure how a flare gun is better?
| | |
| | | Doug
| | | s/v Callista
| | |
| | | "RWKxxx" wrote in message
| | | I spent 14 yrs cruising central and South America and
always
had
| | flare
| | | gun
| | | setting were I could get to it fast. When this was first
| suggested
| | me I
| | | was
| | | in Mexico and took a flare gun ashore and aimed it at a
big
| barrel
| | cactus.
| | | It
| | | blew a hole half way through it. A flare gun might not be

the
| best
| | but
| | in
| | | most
| | | countries it is legal and you can put it were you can get

it
in
| | hurry. I
| | | would hate to be shot with one. The other options are not

as
good
| as
| | this
| | | one
| | | in my opinion.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York

State,
| Lake
| | | Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast

Guard.
| was
| | told
| | | by
| | | West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as

they
are
| | | "weapons."
| | | Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon?

Can
it
| | shoot
| | | regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells
lethal?
Is
| it
| | | danger
| | | to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this?
I'd
| | appreciate
| | any
| | | info?