Skip Gundlach

Default Head trip - "Pipe down, you'se guys!" he said Archly

Curiouser and curiouser...

I'm on the trail of doing an arch, and I learned that many first make
mockups with plastic PVC conduit before getting into cutting the tubing to
actually make them. I went to check it out and found that the conduit is
actually Schedule 40 grey pipe. I can't imagine why something just to
contain electrical wire would have to be S40, but it was.

It's got lovely sweep elbows, with nipple-type (wide end to glue up to pipe
end) Street El fittings, and it's very inexpensive.

So, my question is, would this work for the Schedule 40 pipe installations
in sanitary service, as specified by the SeaLand folks (who make the
fittings to match up to them so you can get the hose on the non-pipe
section)?

Is the conduit the same size as the PVC pipe, or, perhaps, is one of them an
ID and the other an OD measurement?

Just thinking of how I might maximize my purchase and minimize my travels
:{))

L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to work on the boat next week...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

LaBomba182

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:36:26 -0400, "Skip Gundlach" skip sez make this
all one word with my last name next to my first gundlach@adelphia dot
fish catcher net (sorry bout the spamtrap!) wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser...

I'm on the trail of doing an arch, and I learned that many first make
mockups with plastic PVC conduit before getting into cutting the tubing to
actually make them. I went to check it out and found that the conduit is
actually Schedule 40 grey pipe.

//
It's got lovely sweep elbows, with nipple-type (wide end to glue up to pipe
end) Street El fittings, and it's very inexpensive.

So, my question is, would this work for the Schedule 40 pipe installations
in sanitary service,

//
Is the conduit the same size as the PVC pipe, or, perhaps, is one of them an
ID and the other an OD measurement?

//
L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to work on the boat next week...

Walking around the local ACE hardware, I picked up a water elbow in 2
inch and fitted it snugly to a two inch grey electrical sch 40
conduit.

I deduce that the electrical conduit is intended for above ground use
and is sunlight resistant.
I am not sure that the plastic plumbing has much UV resistance at all.

That seems like the principal difference that jumped out at me.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Peggie Hall

Did I miss the part where he's planning to plumb his toilet to go
through the arch...??? I can't think of any other reason anyone would
need my input in this topic.
--
Peggie
----------

Lew Hodgett

"Skip Gundlach" writes:

I went to check it out and found that the conduit is
actually Schedule 40 grey pipe.

As far as the pipe size is concerned, correct.

Fittings are a different matter.

So, my question is, would this work for the Schedule 40 pipe installations
in sanitary service,

Negative.

Sch 40 pipe (white PVC), ABS (Black) and sch 80 pipe (gray PVC), are rated
for sanitation service, but who in their right mind would put it on a boat?

White PVC has no UV inhibitors and if left in the sun, will probably
fracture in less than 1 year in a place like SoCal or Fla.

Conduit and Sch 80 pipe both have UV inhibitors.

HTH

Lew

Glenn Ashmore

Actually the engineers at Sealand and Raritan have no objection to Sched 40
PVC. In fact Sealand recommends it over hose. Much less subject to odor
permeation. Just use short lengths of hose between the pipe and the
fixtures and tanks to handle movement.

Being located down in the bilge and behind cabinet work, if sunlight gets to
the pipe UV degradation is the least of your worries. :-)

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Skip Gundlach" writes:

I went to check it out and found that the conduit is
actually Schedule 40 grey pipe.

As far as the pipe size is concerned, correct.

Fittings are a different matter.

So, my question is, would this work for the Schedule 40 pipe

installations
in sanitary service,

Negative.

Sch 40 pipe (white PVC), ABS (Black) and sch 80 pipe (gray PVC), are rated
for sanitation service, but who in their right mind would put it on a

boat?

White PVC has no UV inhibitors and if left in the sun, will probably
fracture in less than 1 year in a place like SoCal or Fla.

Conduit and Sch 80 pipe both have UV inhibitors.

HTH

Lew

Peggie Hall

LaBomba182 wrote:
Did I miss the part where he's planning to plumb his toilet to go
through the arch...???

Close, it's this part I thought you could help him with:

I went to check it out and found that the conduit is

actually Schedule 40 grey pipe.

So, my question is, would this work for the Schedule 40 pipe installations

in sanitary service,

Ah...I did miss that part. Yes, it can be used in sanitation systems,
but is only recommended for long straight runs. And it must be
"soft-coupled" to anything fixed in the system--toilet, tank, thru-hull,
y-valve, overboard discharge pump--with enough hose to provide shock
absorption and protection from cracking due to hull flexing...so unless
you have a long straight run of 10' of more (unlikely in any properly
designed system on a boat under about 60') you'd have so many unions in
the plumbing (potential leaks) that it's not worth doing.

Plumb your system with AVS96 sanitation hose (the mfr's original name
for the same hose SeaLand sold as the "OdorSafe" brand for a number of
years, now sold direct for $5/ft cut to any length), PVC fittings are ok.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://69.20.93.241/store/customer/p...40&cat=&page=1

Lew Hodgett

"Glenn Ashmore" writes:
Actually the engineers at Sealand and Raritan have no objection to Sched

40
PVC. In fact Sealand recommends it over hose. Much less subject to odor
permeation. Just use short lengths of hose between the pipe and the
fixtures and tanks to handle movement.

snip

The potential for leaks increases geometrically with the number of
connections.

A simple of hose has two (2) process connections.

Replace with a piece of PVC pipe and a short length of have on each end, you
have 4 process connections.

Maybe on a stink boat, but never on mine.

I'll stay /w/ hose and replace as needed.

Lew

LaBomba182

Subject: Head trip - "Pipe down, you'se guys!" he said Archly
From: "Lew Hodgett"

Sch 40 pipe (white PVC), ABS (Black) and sch 80 pipe (gray PVC), are rated
for sanitation service, but who in their right mind would put it on a boat?

White PVC has no UV inhibitors and if left in the sun, will probably
fracture in less than 1 year in a place like SoCal or Fla.

Who in their right mind would run their sanitation hose on the outside of their
boat? :-)

Capt. Bill