Courtney Thomas

Default what's the best way to deploy the second anchor ?

Assuming an anchor from the bow is to be deployed using the windlass,
what is the proper technique for deploying a second anchor and what is
recommended to secure it's rode ?

For example, if the second anchor is taken out in the dinghy and lowered
away, what is then the best technique for securing the second's rode for
storm security ?

Also, if the original is not left on the windlass, what is regarded as
the stoutest method of securing it as well ?

Both rodes might be all chain, or mixed.

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Doug Dotson

Our setup is that our primary anchor is maintianed on the windlass.
One deployed we secure it with a chain stopper on a bridle that
is secured to both foredeck cleats. Once secured the windlass is free to
be used for the secondary anchor. Once set, it is secured to a deck
cleat (it is 50 ft chain and the rest rope).

Doug
s/v Callista

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Assuming an anchor from the bow is to be deployed using the windlass, what
is the proper technique for deploying a second anchor and what is
recommended to secure it's rode ?

For example, if the second anchor is taken out in the dinghy and lowered
away, what is then the best technique for securing the second's rode for
storm security ?

Also, if the original is not left on the windlass, what is regarded as the
stoutest method of securing it as well ?

Both rodes might be all chain, or mixed.

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Bill Adams

For deployment, one good method is to set your first anchor and let out
twice the scope or length you will need. Then drop the second anchor at
that spot. Pull in on the first rode to the desired scope while letting
out on the second. You are now anchored with a Bahamian Moor.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Assuming an anchor from the bow is to be deployed using the windlass,
what is the proper technique for deploying a second anchor and what is
recommended to secure it's rode ?

For example, if the second anchor is taken out in the dinghy and lowered
away, what is then the best technique for securing the second's rode for
storm security ?

Also, if the original is not left on the windlass, what is regarded as
the stoutest method of securing it as well ?

Both rodes might be all chain, or mixed.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Garuda

I will wait for the response of the grand and to the point of JAXAshby!

Rick Itenson

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:55:45 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Assuming an anchor from the bow is to be deployed using the windlass,
what is the proper technique for deploying a second anchor and what is
recommended to secure it's rode ?

Depends on whether you're doing a true "Bahamian" moor ( usually used
in strong tidal streams) or setting the two anchors forward in a "V".
In a Bahamian moor drop the first one, set, drop back to max. drop the
second one, steam ahead till both are at the right scope. Chain
secure with a snubber, line on a cleat.

For example, if the second anchor is taken out in the dinghy and lowered
away, what is then the best technique for securing the second's rode for
storm security ?

You never need to take the second anchor out with a dinghy. With the
Bahamian moor just drop back and let go. With the "V" set the first
anchor - drop back to the right scope, let some more line out- about
forty feet, steam at right angles to the set anchor ( if port down
first steam starboard and vice versa) as the set anchor rode takes the
strain your boat will start closing the right angle. When you get
pulled ahead to about where the first hook was dropped, drop the
second one, with practice you'll get them about 50 -60 degrees apart.
Take up the slack in the first anchor. Especially good with a boat
that skates a lot. Of course it's advisable to anchor the same way as
the other boats in the anchorage, unless there's tons of room between
boats.

Also, if the original is not left on the windlass, what is regarded as
the stoutest method of securing it as well ?

Snub it with a good length (25-30 ft) of nylon and a chain hook. Wrap
the loose chain around a cleat.

Both rodes might be all chain, or mixed.

Both chain, snub them both. Line , cleat it.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Rick Itenson
Breathless
Toronto
dbraun

First, get a good book on anchoring such as:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...662172-8296016

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...662172-8296016

or

That will tell you most of what you need to know. That said, you are
probably wanting to know some of the stuff that is so basic that it never
makes it into the books. First, you need to know why you are puting out a
second anchor in the first place. If it is because of a crowded anchorage,
then you will need to cleat the second rode at the aft end of the vessel.
If it is for changing winds or tides, then a bahamian moor is best. If it
a storm that concerns you, then I don't think that you want to attach a
rode to your stern because if the wind shift catches you abeam, you are
likely to drag BOTH anchors (due to increased windage) where a single
anchor would have held.

So my assumption is that you intend to set both anchors at 60 degrees from
each other off your bow (covered in the aforementioned books) for extreme
storm situations where you are forced to ride out at anchor. The first
anchor is set normally and the load is taken off the windlass using
snubbers to your deck cleats. The second anchor is rowed out in the
dinghy. If it is an all chain rode, that will be a pretty tough row. The
second rode is also snubbed to deck cleats. The windlass NEVER should
accept any strain from anchor rodes except as a back-up to the snubbers (
the grinding of the gears and the creaking of the mounting bolts is your
30 second warning to get on deck and check things out).

You asked about secure rode fastening. First be sure that your deck cleats
are firmly attached and well backed up with backing plates. The vintage of
your vessel probably means that you have a sampson post as well, It is
likely to be your strongest attachment, use it for your main rode
snubbers. Try to distribute your snubbers to as many different pieces of
deck hardware as you can. That way if one lets loose, you are still firmly
attached. Pay particular attention to sources of chafe on your snubbers.
Size your snubbers according to the tables in the books. The chain in your
locker is your last line of defense if your snubbers fail. Be sure your
bitter end is secured.

On a different subject, I still have not had a chance to scan images of my
boat trailer for you, but I will forward them on once I get a chance.

David Braun
s/v Nausicaa

Jeff Morris

What makes you think jaxie has ever anchored, let alone double anchored? He has
tried to make the case that a single Danforth is all the anchor you ever need.

I used to think double anchoring was hard, until I started using it more often.
For heavy weather, the goal is to have the two anchors rodes at about a 45
degree angle, with the anchors roughly equal distances ahead. After setting the
primary (presumably your heaviest, most reliable anchor), let out some extra
rode and power over to where the second belongs and set that. Then adjust both
rodes.

A few things help: while the primary is probably a heavy plow (or Bruce, or
Spade, etc) with a lot of chain and perhaps a windlass, the secondary does not
have to be the same. A Danforth, or better yet, an oversized Fortress, will
have tremendous holding power and can be set easily with limited chain. The one
flaw of this style anchor, failing to reset on a shift, is not a problem in the
double anchor setup. It can be deployed by hand and usually set with a sharp
tug, and is light enough to set from a dink.

For the record, I use a Delta 35 with 50 feet of chain plus nylon rode as my
primary, and a Fortress FX23 with 20 feet of chain as a lunch hook/secondary. I
have moved to the "lighter is better" approach, partly because I have a cat
which would suffer if I used a big CQR and all chain, but mainly because I've
found the most important part of anchoring is getting properly set in the right
place, which is a lot easier with lighter gear.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

"Garuda" wrote in message
I will wait for the response of the grand and to the point of JAXAshby!

David&Joan

I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than they
solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about anchoring
somewhere else first.

David

Doug Dotson

You need to learn how they should be used.

Doug
s/v Callista

"David&Joan" wrote in message
I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than
they solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about
anchoring somewhere else first.

David

Another Anchor Question.... Bobsprit ASA 11 June 15th 04 12:43 AM
Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach Laura Cruising 5 June 3rd 04 01:20 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
Anchor lights Parallax Cruising 9 October 23rd 03 04:08 PM