Jeff Morris

What makes you think jaxie has ever anchored, let alone double anchored? He has
tried to make the case that a single Danforth is all the anchor you ever need.

I used to think double anchoring was hard, until I started using it more often.
For heavy weather, the goal is to have the two anchors rodes at about a 45
degree angle, with the anchors roughly equal distances ahead. After setting the
primary (presumably your heaviest, most reliable anchor), let out some extra
rode and power over to where the second belongs and set that. Then adjust both
rodes.

A few things help: while the primary is probably a heavy plow (or Bruce, or
Spade, etc) with a lot of chain and perhaps a windlass, the secondary does not
have to be the same. A Danforth, or better yet, an oversized Fortress, will
have tremendous holding power and can be set easily with limited chain. The one
flaw of this style anchor, failing to reset on a shift, is not a problem in the
double anchor setup. It can be deployed by hand and usually set with a sharp
tug, and is light enough to set from a dink.

For the record, I use a Delta 35 with 50 feet of chain plus nylon rode as my
primary, and a Fortress FX23 with 20 feet of chain as a lunch hook/secondary. I
have moved to the "lighter is better" approach, partly because I have a cat
which would suffer if I used a big CQR and all chain, but mainly because I've
found the most important part of anchoring is getting properly set in the right
place, which is a lot easier with lighter gear.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

"Garuda" wrote in message
I will wait for the response of the grand and to the point of JAXAshby!