Doug Dotson

You need to learn how they should be used.

Doug
s/v Callista

"David&Joan" wrote in message
I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than
they solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about
anchoring somewhere else first.

David

DSK

David&Joan wrote:
I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than they
solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about anchoring
somewhere else first.

Why would it matter which end of the boat the anchor was set from?

Does the bottom react differently? How does it know? Does the anchor know?

DSK

Paul Schilter

DSK,
I would think that for most boats there is more stress on the anchor
when anchored from the stern. The flat surface would cause more pull in a
current. Less hydro dynamic.
Paul

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
David&Joan wrote:
I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than
they solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about
anchoring somewhere else first.

Why would it matter which end of the boat the anchor was set from?

Does the bottom react differently? How does it know? Does the anchor know?

DSK

otnmbrd

Paul Schilter wrote:
DSK,
I would think that for most boats there is more stress on the anchor
when anchored from the stern. The flat surface would cause more pull in a
current. Less hydro dynamic.
Paul

G Depends on the boat. Many boats have a sharper "entry" from astern
than they do from ahead (look at the underwater hull)

Doug Dotson

A stern anchor isn't usually used as a sole anchor. It is used
in conjunction with a bow anchor when anchoring in close
quarters to limit swinging. The most frequent use I used one
for was when anchoring just outside the
channel along the ICW to keep me from swinging into the
channel or into the shallows.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
DSK,
I would think that for most boats there is more stress on the anchor
when anchored from the stern. The flat surface would cause more pull in a
current. Less hydro dynamic.
Paul

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
David&Joan wrote:
I am a firm disbeliever in stern anchors. They cause more problems than
they solve. If you think you must use a stern anchor, think about
anchoring somewhere else first.

Why would it matter which end of the boat the anchor was set from?

Does the bottom react differently? How does it know? Does the anchor
know?

DSK

DSK

Paul Schilter wrote:
DSK,
I would think that for most boats there is more stress on the anchor
when anchored from the stern. The flat surface would cause more pull in a
current. Less hydro dynamic.

Do you mean, "less hydrodynamically efficient" as in more drag? At low
speeds such as currents (and if you're anchoring in 10+ knot current,
you have chosen unwisely) there is not likely to be any noticable
difference.

Most people worry more about dragging anchor from wind, not current.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Dick

Assuming an anchor from the bow is to be deployed using the windlass,
what is the proper technique for deploying a second anchor and what is
recommended to secure it's rode ?

There are different ways to use the second anchor. You can set it in different
ways to. It will depend on if you are just anchoring or if you have been there
for a while. The easiest way is the best. I have set both from the bow by
setting one and then motoring to where I want the second and then setting it.
If I am already anchored and want to set a second bow anchor I use the dinghy.
If you have a small outboard you will not be able to set a second anchor with
all chain. Their is to much weight there to pull out.

I prefer to set stern anchors with the dinghy. It is easier to get the boat
lined up and pointed in the right direction. I use it mostly to point the boat
into a swell.

Also, if the original is not left on the windlass, what is regarded as
the stoutest method of securing it as well ?

I use double nylon snubbing lines with a devils claw to attach to the chain.

Both rodes might be all chain, or mixed.

My boat stays pointed into the wind when I use both (one all chain and one with
30 feet of chain and the rest nylon line) off the bow close to each other. No
sailing back and forth.

Dick

Lee Huddleston

Several posters have apparently had some trouble getting a spade
anchor to set. There was a discussion just on 8/11/04 in this
newsgroup about that. See BVI Anchor Test - Glenn Ashmore

The conclusion was to let the spade sit and dig in on its own for a
little while before trying to back down with the engine. Those who
drop the anchor and just let the boat fall back with the wind seem to
be successful. Waiting apparently lets the heavy point begin to sink
in on its own.

I do not have any personal experience with this. I am just repeating
what was recently posted.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Another Anchor Question.... Bobsprit ASA 11 June 15th 04 12:43 AM
Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach Laura Cruising 5 June 3rd 04 01:20 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
Anchor lights Parallax Cruising 9 October 23rd 03 04:08 PM