Jeff Morris

Tim wrote:
Small units stuffed with wires have served me well for years.

maybe they have Doug, but you won't find one of those "Small units
stuffed with wires" on anything that requires major demands. Now, i do
understand that your demand isn't the same as a typical American
LeFrance pumper truck, or Double Eagle conversion bus.

Being a boater and not a trucker, I don't know what the load is for the
units you're talking about. My Balmar puts out 95-100 Amps for several
hours a day while traveling. The previous one did 84 Amps, the one
before that had smaller batteries so it only ran at about 60 Amps. (All
are still in service AFAIK.)

I've considered putting in "large frame" alternators, but I don't think
that would fit in the small area I have.

The output of the alternator is but one factor or source for a charging
current.
We have been cruising for 4 years and can stay in an anchorage for
weeks without starting the main engine (no gen set)
We have 4 x 80W solar panels, AirMarine wind generator and when we are
under sail a tow along generator (.75A/Knot)
The fridge is 12V eutectic with enough insulation around the box for
prolonged tropical cruising.
Even on max demand the alternator never exceeds 75% of max output for
greater than 10 mins.
I guess the lesson we learned was have enough alternative energy
sources to cover most of your day to day needs.
Lyn & Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Doug Dotson

My impression was that this discussion had to do with boats. As I
said before, the requirements are different so that comparisons are not
really useful.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Tim" wrote in message
ps.com...
Small units stuffed with wires have served me well for years.

maybe they have Doug, but you won't find one of those "Small units
stuffed with wires" on anything that requires major demands. Now, i do
understand that your demand isn't the same as a typical American
LeFrance pumper truck, or Double Eagle conversion bus.

Doug Dotson

The large frame units definitely don;t have to work as hard but as you
say, monting one can be problematic. I don't have the room either.
I would prefer the dual belt as it is easier on the bearings.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
Small units stuffed with wires have served me well for years.

maybe they have Doug, but you won't find one of those "Small units
stuffed with wires" on anything that requires major demands. Now, i do
understand that your demand isn't the same as a typical American
LeFrance pumper truck, or Double Eagle conversion bus.

Being a boater and not a trucker, I don't know what the load is for the
units you're talking about. My Balmar puts out 95-100 Amps for several
hours a day while traveling. The previous one did 84 Amps, the one before
that had smaller batteries so it only ran at about 60 Amps. (All are
still in service AFAIK.)

I've considered putting in "large frame" alternators, but I don't think
that would fit in the small area I have.

Tim

Being a boater and not a trucker, I don't know what the load is for the

units you're talking about. My Balmar puts out 95-100 Amps for several
hours a day while traveling. The previous one did 84 Amps, the one
before that had smaller batteries so it only ran at about 60 Amps. (All

are still in service AFAIK.)

Very good Jeff.

The origional question was about the alternator running too hot and
questioning the service life.

I was stating that if the current load far exceeds the units spec's
then a person should investigate getting a unit that is designed for
that load capacity.

i was using the "truck/ bus & rescue equipment" for examples, that
these things can have very heavy amp draws, and you don't find small
"hot-rodded" units on them.

Tim

Lyn & Tony

Skip,
The yacht is a Swedish design that had 25mm of polystyrene insulation.
No match for Aust or the tropics.
New fridge/freezeer has a min 75mm polyurethane all round. The fridge
is 70l and the freezer 20l. Average daily power consumption (once at
operating temp) is 30 - 35 AHours. The hull is white which cuts down
power consumption considerably.
If you need more details on the fridge setup email me on yachtambrosia
at the hotmail address
Lyn & Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Jeff Morris

Tim wrote:

The origional question was about the alternator running too hot and
questioning the service life.

That thread was 3 months ago! You must be a very slow typist!

I was stating that if the current load far exceeds the units spec's
then a person should investigate getting a unit that is designed for
that load capacity.

The particular alternator Sam has is identical to what I'm running and
the battery bank is the same size. He doesn't mention the regulator
setting, but mine runs at 90% rating output several hours a day, and
there's no reason to suspect his would put out more for more than a few
minutes. With proper ventilation, there shouldn't be a problem.

i was using the "truck/ bus & rescue equipment" for examples, that
these things can have very heavy amp draws, and you don't find small
"hot-rodded" units on them.

They don't have 18 horse engines, either.

I'm curious - what are the heavy loads on these vehicles, and how much
do they draw? Not doubting, just curious. Do refrigerator trucks run
off the alternator, or do they have engine driven compressors?
Lew Hodgett

Jeff Morris wrote:

I'm curious - what are the heavy loads on these vehicles, and how much
do they draw? Not doubting, just curious.

A typical city transit bus can easily have a 200 amp load.

Summertime air conditioning, wintertime heating, not to mention all the
other parasitic loads such as marker lights, fans, etc.

Do refrigerator trucks run
off the alternator, or do they have engine driven compressors?

Every reefer I have ever seen has it's own stand alone system.

Lew
Me

In article . net,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A typical city transit bus can easily have a 200 amp load.

Summertime air conditioning, wintertime heating, not to mention all the
other parasitic loads such as marker lights, fans, etc.

"wintertime heating" ?????? Come on give us all a break. Why in the
world would a Design Engineer spec an Low Vlotage Electric Heating Unit
for a Bus, when they are throughing away, Orders of Magnitude, more
energy out the cooling system, of the engine that is powering the Bus?
This is beyond Stupid, and very near Moooorrrroooooonic.........

Me