Doug Dotson

The large frame units definitely don;t have to work as hard but as you
say, monting one can be problematic. I don't have the room either.
I would prefer the dual belt as it is easier on the bearings.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
Small units stuffed with wires have served me well for years.

maybe they have Doug, but you won't find one of those "Small units
stuffed with wires" on anything that requires major demands. Now, i do
understand that your demand isn't the same as a typical American
LeFrance pumper truck, or Double Eagle conversion bus.

Being a boater and not a trucker, I don't know what the load is for the
units you're talking about. My Balmar puts out 95-100 Amps for several
hours a day while traveling. The previous one did 84 Amps, the one before
that had smaller batteries so it only ran at about 60 Amps. (All are
still in service AFAIK.)

I've considered putting in "large frame" alternators, but I don't think
that would fit in the small area I have.