Jeff Morris

Tim wrote:

The origional question was about the alternator running too hot and
questioning the service life.

That thread was 3 months ago! You must be a very slow typist!

I was stating that if the current load far exceeds the units spec's
then a person should investigate getting a unit that is designed for
that load capacity.

The particular alternator Sam has is identical to what I'm running and
the battery bank is the same size. He doesn't mention the regulator
setting, but mine runs at 90% rating output several hours a day, and
there's no reason to suspect his would put out more for more than a few
minutes. With proper ventilation, there shouldn't be a problem.

i was using the "truck/ bus & rescue equipment" for examples, that
these things can have very heavy amp draws, and you don't find small
"hot-rodded" units on them.

They don't have 18 horse engines, either.

I'm curious - what are the heavy loads on these vehicles, and how much
do they draw? Not doubting, just curious. Do refrigerator trucks run
off the alternator, or do they have engine driven compressors?