Jere Lull

Default Replace alternator in 5.7 Mercruiser?

Terry wrote:

Calif Bill wrote:

It is an automotive / truck alternator. With the only changes screening for
all openings. Prevents flame propagation from nisde to outside the
alternator. Same for starters.
Bill

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
.. .

R Kelly wrote:

Marine alternators are intrinsically sealed. Anything less would promote
ignition potential in the engine compartment. One would be ill advised to
put an automotive alternator in an engine compartment, for an number of
other reasons as well.
BK

Oops! I intended to say "usually are essentially" car alternators. The
Hitachi on our Yanmar sure looks like the one in my old car. I'm sure
there are differences, but the base technology isn't going to be too
different.

--
Jere Lull

So; in a non gasoline situation (Volvo MD1B diesel) would you
advise using a truck/car alternator? The existing engine has an a
12 volt 8 amp. Bosch starter-generator. It's difficult to keep
the battery charged with that. We would like the charging
capacity of say a 60 to 100 ampere alternator.
Any advice welcomed. Terry.

Since some of our sister boats have that same engine, I'd recommend what
I recommend to them -- for weekend use -- a relativley small solar
charger (5-15 watts) to bring things up to snuff while we're away.
Starter/generator combos were a good idea before alternators came into
vogue. Alternators are MUCH better, but still not exactly perfect for
sailboat auxiliaries.

Our 55 amp Hitachi won't deliver more than about 5 amps under normal
conditions after a few minutes' snap charge. Even that alternator will
seriously strain the belt and Yanmar 2GM20 when we have to bring a
seriously-discharged battery up. I wouldn't go above that power output
without a double pulley (want one now), and I'm not sure the MD1B will
take that strain. I'm not happy with the time it takes the "basically
automotive" alternator to bring our batteries up to reasonable levels.
As it is, I'm real happy with 12.25v and will put up with 12.0v as we
turn on the anchor light for the night.

I definitely wouldn't go with a plain truck/car alternator as there are
serious differences, the primary one being that the boat ones are
expected to be in a hostile -- hot and humid -- environment.

If we go cruising amongst the islands, I think our primary power will be
from larger solar cells. We'd probably add a 3 or 4 stage alternator for
safety's sake, but that's more expensive than solar.

--
Jere Lull