Skip

The output of the alternator is but one factor or source for a charging
current.
We have been cruising for 4 years and can stay in an anchorage for
weeks without starting the main engine (no gen set)
We have 4 x 80W solar panels, AirMarine wind generator and when we are
under sail a tow along generator (.75A/Knot)
The fridge is 12V eutectic with enough insulation around the box for
prolonged tropical cruising.
Even on max demand the alternator never exceeds 75% of max output for
greater than 10 mins.
I guess the lesson we learned was have enough alternative energy
sources to cover most of your day to day needs.
Lyn & Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Lyn & Tony, you bring an excellent point to the table.
If one smokes the alternator, one can install a bigger alternator just
to see if it will last.
That can be done without too much consideration for anything else is on
the boat.

On the other hand, if one wants to do the substitution only once one
needs to do a system redesign.
The weakest link breaks next time.

And speaking of system, what criteria did you use for refer insulation
(off topic I know...)?

Skip