Wayne.B

Default How long to transit the Okechobee?

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:31:18 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

I have a 40' sailboat, 5'5" draft, 45' mast.
It will motor comfortably at 6 kts.
How long would you estimate to transit from the Gulf to the Atlantic?
Any hazards that I should be concerned about?
Thanks, jay

You'll be fine, just watch your charts carefully. The river is quite
deep in most places once you get east of Cape Coral. Total distance
is about 155 NM with 5 locks along the way. You could make it in 2
days if you push hard, 3 otherwise. Clewiston is a good place to
overnight.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/recreation/
Jeff Morris

Before committing, one should check the depths. When I last wanted to go
through, there was a draught (April '01) and the depth was down to 3.25 feet.
Since I draw 3, I declined - the 3 inches to spare didn't make me feel good!

check the listing for "route 1"
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-oke.html

BTW, the Army Engineers said "Come on through!" but the marinas said half the
boats that tried were now aground.

wrote:

I have a 40' sailboat, 5'5" draft, 45' mast.
It will motor comfortably at 6 kts.
How long would you estimate to transit from the Gulf to the Atlantic?
Any hazards that I should be concerned about?
Thanks, jay

You'll be fine, just watch your charts carefully. The river is quite
deep in most places once you get east of Cape Coral. Total distance
is about 155 NM with 5 locks along the way. You could make it in 2
days if you push hard, 3 otherwise. Clewiston is a good place to
overnight.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/recreation/

Wayne.B

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:19:36 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

Before committing, one should check the depths. When I last wanted to go
through, there was a draught (April '01) and the depth was down to 3.25 feet.
Since I draw 3, I declined - the 3 inches to spare didn't make me feel good!

check the listing for "route 1"
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-oke.html

BTW, the Army Engineers said "Come on through!" but the marinas said half the
boats that tried were now aground.

===============================

The last two years there has been more water in Lake O than they know
what to do with. They've been spilling the excess down river on a
regular schedule.

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

wrote:

I have a 40' sailboat, 5'5" draft, 45' mast.
It will motor comfortably at 6 kts.
How long would you estimate to transit from the Gulf to the Atlantic?
Any hazards that I should be concerned about?
Thanks, jay

49' is the nominal limit for mast height. At present, I think 50 is
practical. 45' doesn't sound like much for a 40-footer. Might be
worth double-checking? Anchor light? VHF antenna?

Nominal depth right now is 6.28'. They advise subtracting 1.1' from
that to allow for waves in the lake. The lake is low enough now that
they normally leave the Mayaca locks open during business hours. I've
been through 3 times in the last 2 months. It wasn't on my boat, so I
can't vouch for the depth sounder calibration, but I believe that the
6' number is good. I didn't see any 2' waves, but I suppose you could
wait them out if they turned up.

Several channels are a bit fuzzy in terms of boundaries. The South
Fork on 11428_4 seemed bad that way. With crosswind or current you
have to stay alert. The same goes for the Approach Channel into the
Clewiston area on 11428_5. That will be the shallowest water you see
in the lake.

Eack lock has several extremely sturdy dolphins nearby that you can
tie up to for the night. Expect a quiet night. Clewiston or Moore
Haven are decent for overnights, if you need power. The Clewiston
lock was closed my last time through; make sure it's open again if you
plan to stop there. Running at night is a personal decision. Other
than the spots I've mentioned, the channel is easy enough, especially
with radar. Isaw a few partially submerged logs in the canal that I
would hate to run over though.

In the Ft Myers area, 11427_1 there are some areas where you don't
want to make any helm errors, but the channels are quite well marked.
With good visibility it's not hard. Watch for the range markers,
where they exist, they help a lot. Keep the chart open, there are
lots of side channels that intersect the main channel. Sometimes
you'll see 3 or 4 red daymarkers close together and you'll have to
figure out which is yours. Also, watch the channels carefully around
the bridges. On several of them they've changed the channel to
provide better angles between bridges. I seem to recall a couple of
them are not charted correctly. The correct channel is obvious,
though.

Not that many diesel pumps on the waterway, you might want to fuel up
in St. Lucie.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
krj

Depends on whether you plan to go 24hrs or RON. It is about 125 miles
from Ft. Myers to St. Lucie inlet. Several nice places to tie up for the
night. There are several locks, and a railroad bridge that has 49'
clearance. The locks do not operate 24 hrs/day. Don't have the current
schedule, but I think the operate from 6am-9pm. You need chart 11428 as
well as charts for Ft. Myers and St. Lucie.
Kelton

----