Gould 0738

Default 2005 Sea Ray 500 (long)

I got several requests for the photo file on this boat, and I'm happy to send
out additonal sets of pictures to anybody who'd like to see them.

Here's the first draft of the article, for those who might like some more
information about the boat.

This exercise always brings out a few flamers. I'll be boating for a few days
and
will deal with the negative remarks, or not, late in the weekend. :-)

Sea Trial, August 2004

Sea Ray 500

Many boat builders are busily engaged turning out the last great boats of the
20th Century. Sea Ray has just introduced a model that will be considered among
the great boats ushering in the 21st. Sea Ray obviously gave their design team
permission to scrap the rule book governing the conception and execution of
sedan motoryachts- a decision that all too often fosters unfortunate
consequences. On rare occasions, a fresh start unfettered by assumptions and
paradigm yields amazing results, such as the inspired 2005 Sea Ray 50-foot 500.

I had a chance to inspect and test hull #2 at Lake Union Sea Ray in Seattle.
The boat was still being commissioned, but even with a few details left undone
the vessel made a significant and favorable impression.

As I walked the length of the dock to meet the boat, the bold exterior styling
made a dramatic impact. Below the sheer line, the 500 features a rather
traditional hull. The stem has a long rake, and the bow is moderately flared.
The eye is distracted from the long, flat, sheer by a rub strip that swoops
gracefully toward the waterline to wrap the oversized, integrated swim step.
Above the flush side decks, the eye finds custom windows with curved, organic
shapes, and an adventurously curved supporting arch for the standard hardtop
above the flybridge. Many people find boats with too many swoops and curves
less than attractive. Some of the shapes seen on "Euro" boats have such
arbitrary silhouettes they appear to resemble design elements in a French
bordello, (built by an Italian designer with funny little shoes and a warped
sense of humor). Not so the Sea Ray 500. The lines are reminiscent of living
creatures at home on the ocean. When viewed from directly abeam or slightly
aft, the hardtop and support on the upper deck incorporate the graceful swoop
of a proud pelican's neck and the authoritative line of a long, flat beak. From
a more forward point, the pelican's neck becomes the wing of a soaring eagle.

There was something about the main cabin windows, as well. Where had I seen
that shape before? I'm something of a writer, but not the smallest portion a
graphic artist. Perhaps the shape of the lower cabin would occur to me, but I
was convinced it belonged on the water. The Sea Ray 500 looks like a boat
should, but not too very much like any other boat does.

One boards the Sea ray 500 through the transom door. The very wide swim step
has a pair of parallel slots that are part of the Sea Ray 500's unique dinghy
management system. A hydraulic davit arm is concealed in the transom, visually
and physically unobtrusive until needed. When launching or retrieving a dinghy,
the davit rises up from the transom and swings out over the swimstep. The
stainless reinforced slots in the swimstep will allow the dinghy chocks to be
set anywhere between the transom and the aft edge of the swimstep and
accommodate a wide variety of shore boats. Line and fender stowage is provided
in a capacious transom locker, where Glendinning Cable Master retractable
shorepower cables are accessed as well.

Few things look as lubberly as undersized cleats on a 50-foot motoryacht. Sea
Ray has incorporated some hefty, stainless hardware that will allow the use of
docklines both serious and stout. The stainless deck rail is carried back to
the forward edge of the cockpit, (a design that eliminates the "man-overboard"
gap left at the aft end of many side rails).

The cockpit is adequately proportioned for fishing or lounging. One of the
three icemakers aboard the Sea Ray 500 is situated in a locker at the starboard
side of the aft cabin bulkhead. An easily negotiated flight of wide, molded,
step accesses the flybridge on the port side of the cockpit.

Sea Ray has set the helm well aft on the flybridge, and positioned an icemaker,
a wet bar, a pedestal cocktail table, and lounge seating for a dozen close
friends on the forward portion. A pair of incredibly comfortable, contoured and
adjustable helm and starboard watch seats are set higher than the passenger
seating on the bridge, allowing the skipper an unobstructed view of the water
as well as eye contact with anyone else on the bridge.
Guests on the bridge when underway will have no need to yell at the helmsman's
back in order to converse.

The flybridge can be completely enclosed, and a series of strategically placed
ducts will pipe heated or cooled air into the enclosure. The fixed hardtop
includes a sliding sunroof directly above the wheel. An overhead console above
the helm includes a complete set of analog gauges for each engine, as well as
the display screen for the "Smart Craft" system.
"SmartCraft" is a state-of-the art vessel and engine information system. Care
to know, to the gallon, exactly how much fuel remains in a specific tank?
Curious about the current rudder angle, to the degree? Interested in monitoring
every conceivable engine fluid temperature? "SmartCraft" will supply more
information than most boaters would ever think to ask for, but should prove to
be an effective problem solving tool that will eliminate much of the guesswork
should something begin to malfunction.

Major electronics on the Sea Ray 500 include the Sea Ray NAV-II integrated
chart plotter and radar, with two touch screen monitors at the helm. Each
monitor has permanently mounted joystick control and can interface with a
keyboard, but the touch screen format promises to be the easiest to use
underway. An autopilot, a VHF, and bow thruster controls are all within easy
reach. Sea Ray has managed to incorporate a vast quantity of information and
control functions without an overwhelming number of buttons, switches, and
display screens. A Sirius Satellite AM/FM radio and six-disc CD changer
provides musical entertainment on the flybridge.

Astonishing Interior

One goes aboard a Sea Ray motoryacht with a certain level of expectation.
Anything less than first class would be considered very irregular. Be prepared
to be very pleasantly surprised at the design, finish, and quality of execution
on the Sea Ray 500. The design team thought so far "outside the box" on this
boat, that more than likely the box itself was MIA before the task was
completed. As with the exterior, Sea Ray managed to make some bold styling
statements that will still appeal to most traditionalists. The interior is a
pleasant combination of leather, fabric, carpet, glass, and richly finished
dark cherry solids and veneers. Even slightly jaded boat reviewers will step
aboard this vessel and say, "Wow!"

The 2005 Sea Ray 500 is a three-stateroom layout, with the master stateroom
most forward. An island queen centerline berth with innerspring mattress is
surrounded by a luxurious compartment. Each stateroom is equipped with a HDTV
flat screen television and DVD player, and the master stateroom has a BOSE
sound system as well. Two stainless portlights are concealed by custom
mini-blinds with genuine cherry slats.
Cedar lined hanging lockers provide abundant stowage. The nature of the master
stateroom brings a variety of interior materials together in a space obviously
more compact that the salon, and creates an excellent opportunity to appreciate
the high quality of the materials and workmanship associated with this boat.

The master head is accessed through a door in the aft starboard quarter of the
master stateroom. The doors on the Sea Ray 500 feel heavy and solid. The
brushed pewter finished door handles are as solid and substantial as one could
expect to find on the highest caliber commercial or residential structures. The
master head has an enormous shower with molded bench and a curved, sliding
glass door. VacuFlush marine toilets are standard, and both heads as well as
the galley have power operated vent systems. A cultured marble countertop with
stainless hand basin, dark cherry joinery, a stainless grab rail, and brushed
pewter accessories create a master head that is bright, stylish, and easily
cleaned. One particularly useful feature is a floor drain just outside the
shower stall. The sole won't "puddle up" while somebody towels off after a
shower.

A guest head in located to port of the companionway aft of the stateroom. The
shower is only slightly smaller than in the master stateroom, but the other
amenities are almost identical.

The portside guest stateroom is more luxurious than the master cabin on most
boats.
A king size innerspring mattress is positioned with a walkway on either side,
with dark cherry wainscoting. Sea Ray uses some advanced vacuum molding
processes when making fiberglass parts, and the overhead for much of the guest
stateroom is formed by the FRP sole insert for the dining area above. Sea Ray
has inserted some fabric panels to eliminate any "plastic" feel to the
stateroom, but the fiberglass that is exposed here is so perfectly smooth and
flawlessly contoured it could almost be used for a mirror. Bulkhead lamps at
the headboard, two large stainless portlights, and accent spots in the overhead
trim insure that the stateroom will be bright and cheerful. The HDTV/DVD flat
screen is located at the foot of the bed, mounted on a hanging locker.

The third stateroom is to starboard, and consists of upper and lower bunks
along the gunwale. The upper bunk is just over six feet in length, so if any
guests in this stateroom happen to be professional basketball players they will
opt for the lower bunk which is closer to seven feet. A series of handy
overhead lockers provides some of the stowage in this stateroom. We opened a
locker door to discover very sturdy hinge hardware and a cedar lining.

Expect some spirited discussions about galley duty on the Sea Ray 500.
Everybody aboard may insist that it is their turn to cook, thank you. The wide
"U" layout runs along the starboard gunwale, with dark cherry lockers accented
by a cultured marble work surface. An electric cooktop is located in the center
of the U, with two Sub-Zero (tm) refrigerator and freezer units below. Cooking
steam and odors will be swept overboard by a power vent and stainless hood
above the cooktop. Baking chores will be dispatched with an oversize
convection/microwave oven mounted against the forward bulkhead. A bank of four
drawers is concealed behind a dark cherry door immediately below the oven.
A stainless sink with designer faucet is in the aft leg of the "U'. One of the
upper lockers holds a built-in coffee maker, a lower drawer is set up with pegs
and dividers to hold plates and cutlery, and intriguing features abound in the
galley.

The vessel's laundry is accessed through a hatch in the galley sole. A
washer/dryer combo occupies only a portion of this compartment, leaving a good
amount of handy stowage space.

The style in the salon is a restrained contemporary, with bright stainless,
subdued leather, opaque glass, and dark cherry surfaces. The lines flow
smoothly together, with each component comprising an inseparable part of the
whole, rather than just "plunked down" in a predefined space. The overhead is
layered and contoured, without being overdone.

The dining area is opposite the galley, but elevated so guests seated at the
exquisitely finished solid cherry table will have an easy view through the main
cabin windows. The table is set on a pair of stainless legs with independently
pivoting support arms. The set up allows the table to be moved in almost any
direction- it can literally be pulled into the galley, loaded with food, and
then rotated back to the dining area.

A curved, leather sofa is to port in the salon, with the vessel's AC/DC
distribution panel in a locker angled into the aft port quarter. Dark cherry
solids and veneers surrounding the large cabin windows are accented by the
tawny tones of the upholstery and high caliber carpet. A salon sofa with pull
out bed is to starboard, as well as a large HDTV/DVD flat screen video system
and Bose Surround Sound system in the aft starboard quarter.

Owners of a Sea Ray 500 may suddenly discover they are spending very little
time at home!

Observations underway

Richard Forreger of Lake Union Sea Ray accompanied us on the Sea Trial. Richard
is well known in the boating community in the Pacific Northwest as the director
and host of the "Captain's Log" cable television series.

Hull #2 is equipped with twin Cummins T-660 QSM-11 engines. Each six-cylinder
engine displaces 661 cubic inches, (10.8 L), and is configured to a 644 HP
rating at 2300 RPM. The engine features Cummins electronic Quantum System for
combustion control, increasing efficiency and reducing emissions. From a cold
start, the engines fired up instantly and emitted almost no visible exhaust.

Sea Ray included a handy electronic engine synchronizer, as well as a very
useful "slow idle" switch that reduces the Cummins RPM from 680 to 570. The
slower engine speeds can be important when close quarter maneuvering near a
dock, as the vessel can remain in gear for greater control without approaching
the landing at too fast a pace. Another rocker switch at the helm will increase
or decrease engine RPM exactly 100 rpm, depending on the portion of the switch
that is depressed.

A helpful wind blew us directly sideways from the Lake Union Sea Ray dock, so
we didn't get an opportunity to try the bowthruster. We idled out to Lake
Washington, with the engines running so quietly that we could easily hear the
waters of Lake Union and Portage Bay breaking against the hull.

We found a delightful chop on Lake Washington, with whitecaps just breaking
before the wind.

I failed to test the trim tabs. In fact, I'm not even certain the Sea Ray 500
has trim tabs. The hull rode perfectly on its lines at every speed. Bow rise
upon acceleration was scarcely noticeable, very impressive when considering how
quickly almost 1300 HP will bring the vessel up to plane.

The helm chair is set farther aft than most powerboaters are used to, almost
immediately above the aft cabin bulkhead and well behind the pivot point. The
sensation is slightly different when turning. One remains constantly and
consciously aware that the Sea Ray 500, like all powerboats, steers from the
stern.

Visibility fore and aft is excellent. The Sea Ray 500 will be an easy boat to
dock.

We motored to the windward wide of the 520 bridge to do some timed runs on the
measured mile, (the boat was still in the commissioning process, and the GPS
hadn't been connected at the time of our trial).

At 2300 RPM, we covered the measured mile in 1 minute, 55 seconds. A two-minute
time on this run wold indicate a speed of 30-knots, so we were doing just
slightly better.
Cummins lists "Medium Continuous Duty" at 1500-2100 RPM for this engine, so we
backed off 2000 RPM to test an aggressive, but sustainable cruising speed. Our
time from mark to mark was 2 minutes, 25 seconds at 2000 RPM, which my math
resolves to just over 24 knots.

Cummins publishes fuel consumption figures for the QSM11, and these can be
verified under different loads with the Smart Craft system on the Sea Ray 500.
At WOT, each engine will burn 33.3 gph, achieving about one-half nautical mile
per gallon. Slowing to cruise speed will burn about 18 gph per engine,
improving fuel economy somewhat, but not dramatically.

Between the wind reflecting off the bridge and the additional chop we stirred
up crossing our wake, we were able to simulate a reasonably windy day on
Northwest coastal waters.
The Sea Ray 500 ran bone dry. We couldn't invent a way to get water on the
foredeck, regardless of whether we were taking the waves on the stem or
anywhere along the beam.

Creating wake was a bit problematic with the Sea Ray 500. Some 50-footers
planing along at 24-30 knots will create a wall of water that would be welcome
only by a pesky jet skier or a badly dislocated surfer. Not so the Sea Ray 500.
We didn't get a look at the boat below the waterline, but the hull design must
be very well engineered.

The Sea Ray 500 is speedy, civilized, and sweet. Be prepared to fall in lust,
if not genuine love, with the performance.

Conclusions:

The Sea Ray 500 will appeal to almost everybody who takes a careful look at the
boat.
It is a notable example of a respected and established manufacturer taking a
bold, high quality step forward. Most of us will have to be satisfied with
appreciating the Sea Ray 500 from afar, as the list price of $1,149,766 will
put it beyond the practical reach of all but the fortunate few. Owning a Sea
Ray is a lifestyle choice, and the lucky boaters who will own Sea Ray 500's
will have stylish life indeed!

As we enjoyed the Sea Ray 500, I kept trying, (in the back of my mind), to
"see" the second shape suggested by the cabin windows. After we had returned to
the dock and made the vessel fast, I was discussing our cruise with some of the
Lake Union Sea Ray staff. Just then I saw it!

"Look," I said. "Follow that line from the canvas snaps, across the top of the
cabin windows and what do you see?"

Everyone stopped to concentrate on the curve I had pointed out. Virtually in
unison they replied, "A dolphin! It looks just like a dolphin!" And so it does.

Nice job, Sea Ray. You have built one of the first great boats of the
twenty-first century, and it deserves at least a 9.9 on the 10 scale.