Jeff Morris

Default How long to transit the Okechobee?

Before committing, one should check the depths. When I last wanted to go
through, there was a draught (April '01) and the depth was down to 3.25 feet.
Since I draw 3, I declined - the 3 inches to spare didn't make me feel good!

check the listing for "route 1"
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-oke.html

BTW, the Army Engineers said "Come on through!" but the marinas said half the
boats that tried were now aground.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:31:18 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

I have a 40' sailboat, 5'5" draft, 45' mast.
It will motor comfortably at 6 kts.
How long would you estimate to transit from the Gulf to the Atlantic?
Any hazards that I should be concerned about?
Thanks, jay

You'll be fine, just watch your charts carefully. The river is quite
deep in most places once you get east of Cape Coral. Total distance
is about 155 NM with 5 locks along the way. You could make it in 2
days if you push hard, 3 otherwise. Clewiston is a good place to
overnight.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/recreation/