Default Splashdown in sight...

Hi, y'all,

The countdown continues. Tonight will be the penultimate "real" shower
before we splash (launch) on Friday evening, courtesy of our friend Mark,
where Lydia Fell's mother Louise DeVitalis Fell has been living for 18
months, waiting for us to leave. Originally it was going to be her going
with us in July of 2011. A large refit, and some medical, as well as general
aging, issues, made that seem impossible. So...

Whether or not she comes with us, even for sea trials, is currently under
consideration, we having assumed that she would not, due to her advancing
age. However, a visit to the boat on Saturday has us reexamining that, as
you'd not know that it was the same person...

We haven't decided whether we're more excited or nervous, having been nearly
2 years since we used our sailing skills in our 40,000 pound home.

But essentially all the projects (more than 20 each major and last-minute
ones, some of them incorporating several major or minor sub-projects) are
complete, and the pictures of all the gory details are up on our gallery,
linked below.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:11:18 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

The countdown continues. Tonight will be the penultimate "real" shower
before we splash (launch) on Friday evening

====

Good news and bon voyage. We'll keep a sharp look out for you and
the FP in our own travels.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

We haven't decided whether we're more excited or nervous, having been nearly
2 years since we used our sailing skills in our 40,000 pound home.

40,000 pounds!!!! OMG. She IS a pig. LOL! My fine yacht,
fully loaded, only weighs in at 8,200 pounds as measured by
the last travel lift haul out.

Better lay in a supply of Dramamine. After being a lubber for
two years you might find yourself seasick for the first couple
of days.

Good luck and please don't scrape off any bottom paint on
the way out.

--
Sir Gregory

The new Walker Bay Genesis inflatable, now endowed with nearly
indestructible chaps has arrived. We're putting on the lifting pennants,
throttle extender, and we'll soon have it on the arch...

The new Porta-Bote is collapsed and secured to the rail, a new bag from
Sunbrella holds the seats and transom, and the sculling oars are lashed to
the handholds forward.

Verified both 6 and 15 HP engines (Porta-Bote and inflatable), filled both
dinghy tanks, covered and secured them.

Getting closer! Very darn little left on the chores list other than last
minute provisioning and vacuuming the water tanks (inevitably there's always
grit on the bottom courtesy of the municipal water supplies) and shocking
them, topping up the battery water (they hydro'd very good a couple of
months ago) and restrapping the box cover, and remounting the wind
instrument, not yet arrived (tomorrow) from the rebuild.

L8R

Skip and crew

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

More than in sight, behind us.

We're in the slip, doing recommissioning stuff, with no surprises other than
a couple of places where new clamps are seeping.

Engine runs very sweetly, and spews massivly more water than before, a
product of my reaming the heat exchanger (and picking out the impeller
pieces before hand), the new thermostat registers properly, the rudder
doesn't even seep at rest, and the new shaft gland isn't running at all
either - though that one will require some running in before I'm totally
happy with it.

The new dinghy and chaps looks great hanging under the arch, the boat shines
in and out, my seat at the nav is ultra-comfy with its new very firm foam
and cover, and on and on.

It sure feels good to be back on the water!

More later as we fuel and water and get under way. We'll be here in the
launch slip tomorrow for visitors, and then out on the high tide on Monday.

First non-house shower in a great while coming up, and then the first
motion-aided sleep in even longer...

L8R, y'all

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:22:43 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

[...]

===============

Congratulations! I think you'll like it better on the water, I know
I do.

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in message

We haven't decided whether we're more excited or nervous, having been
nearly 2 years since we used our sailing skills in our 40,000 pound home.

40,000 pounds!!!! OMG. She IS a pig. LOL! My fine yacht,
fully loaded, only weighs in at 8,200 pounds as measured by
the last travel lift haul out.

Better lay in a supply of Dramamine. After being a lubber for
two years you might find yourself seasick for the first couple
of days.

Good luck and please don't scrape off any bottom paint on
the way out.

--
Sir Gregory

Oops. In the slings this time, it's more like 44k, without any water and a
light fuel load...

No problems about the collywobbles so far :{))

Lydia's mom and housemate here for lunch...

L8R

Skip

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

We haven't decided whether we're more excited or nervous, having been
nearly 2 years since we used our sailing skills in our 40,000 pound home.

40,000 pounds!!!! OMG. She IS a pig. LOL! My fine yacht,
fully loaded, only weighs in at 8,200 pounds as measured by
the last travel lift haul out.

Better lay in a supply of Dramamine. After being a lubber for
two years you might find yourself seasick for the first couple
of days.

Good luck and please don't scrape off any bottom paint on
the way out.

--
Sir Gregory

Oops. In the slings this time, it's more like 44k, without any water and a
light fuel load...

That's a helluva lot of bottom work!!!! But, maybe you didn't
get her as dry as you thought. I bet you'll be pulling your hair
out the first time you dive down to examine the bottom after
about six months and you see new blisters pooching out.

--
Sir Gregory

First anchor splash recently, now, too.

Addressing some more seeps on new clamps, which is about the worst we can
talk about in our shakedown, if you ignore the last-minute start battery
replacement this morning :{))

Otherwise, everything is ultra sweet.

L8R

Skip

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
First anchor splash recently, now, too.

Addressing some more seeps on new clamps, which is about the worst we can
talk about in our
shakedown, if you ignore the last-minute start battery
replacement this morning :{))

What do you use 'clamps' for?

No change in sight.... *e#c General 0 January 12th 11 01:52 AM
A most welcome sight... Harry[_2_] General 0 February 9th 10 03:24 AM
Sad sight P. Fritz General 0 August 31st 05 03:36 PM
Out of sight, out of mind, out to wreck your engine Gould 0738 General 5 September 19th 04 04:19 AM
The noon sight - it's a beautiful thing. Simple Simon ASA 44 December 11th 03 05:07 AM