Default Capt. Skippy's Yard Bill

OMG! I did a little quick math and I sure wouldn't want to be
Capt. Skippy.

25 dollars per lay day at two years worth of lay days equals"

25 X 2 X 365 = 18,250 dollars.

Oh my!

Add for all the other things like goods and services provided
by the yard, one can probably include another 15-20 grand.

So, Capt. Skippy's most likely going to have to come up
with close to 40 large before they will splash him.

The dude must be quite rich! Who else would spend 40
large fixing up a sailboat that is probably worth about
20 large nowadays on the open market?

Hell, he could have done something sensible like buying
a good Coronado 27 for about 6-8 grand and spent about
three or four grand fixing her up and had a better sea-going
vessel than he has now for about 12 large. Heck, he could
have bought TWO. One for him and one for his lovely wife
and still come out of it for about half of what he's squandered.

They could then sail together in separate boats although
Capt. Skippy would certainly struggle to not be put hull-
down by Lydia and that might be very stressful on his
plaques clogged blood vessels.

I keep hoping I might overtake him one of these days
on the bounding main while he's wallowing like a garbage
scow, covered head to toe with grease and diesel oil from
his never-ending maintenance of all his "systems," but it
looks more and more like he's stuck ashore come hell or
high water.

But that doesn't keep me from wishing him a Happy
New Year and a Merry Christmas.

--
Sir Gregory

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:25:42 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

OMG! I did a little quick math and I sure wouldn't want to be
Capt. Skippy.

25 dollars per lay day at two years worth of lay days equals"

25 X 2 X 365 = 18,250 dollars.

Oh my!

Some people have it and other people are envious.
--
Cheers,
Bruce
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 24, 2:25*pm, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke
wrote:
[...]

Damn.... Skips been in the yard all this time ?!?!?!?!?
I thought all he was going to do was slap some epoxy on the bottom??

Jesus H Christ !

Hey, Skip did you bulid an addition or something or add landscaping
and a hot tub??

Boob

Fortunately, I have an in at the yard, helped by my rescuing their WiFi system.

We aren't in one of those fancy places; it's about 3 bux each for work yard and liveaboard, per day.

Yes, we added a porch, and a staysail, and running backs, and a new boarding ladder, and new blocks, and, and...

In addition to doing all the other stuff we expected to do, she's a better boat. I'll be installing the new temperature gauge tomorrow, and the new magnets for the KISS wind generator after that, after which I'll again balance the blades for whisper quiet and no vibration amps. Washing the solar panels is part of the green revolution as well, but yet to come; we have new hoses and fire-hose type nozzles fore and aft for the salt water washdowns, two new dinghies (warranty replacements) and the most outrageous chaps you've ever seen for our inflatable one, the better to prevent the prior experience of badly abrading it on nearly everything, if we went under the platform in a sea.

Pix of all that to come, whenever I can wade through the several hundred taken since the last upload session. Currently working on finding the right sized nipple for the end of our VHF cable in order to install the new helm antenna, and other small jobs before we splash on a lunar high tide.

L8R, y'all,

Skip, blessed

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:16:24 -0800 (PST), Flying Pig
wrote:

Currently working on finding the right sized nipple for the end of our VHF cable in order to install the new helm antenna, and other small jobs before we splash on a lunar high tide.

What's a "lunar high tide?" Did you mean to say "spring tide?"

wrote:

Currently working on finding the right sized nipple for the end of our VHF cable in order to install the new helm antenna, and other small jobs before we splash on a lunar high tide.

What's a "lunar high tide?" Did you mean to say "spring tide?"

For the nautically inclined, yes. However, the most folks who are interested in our departure are not, so we simplify rather than have to explain.

However, it's a commonly accepted notation:
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/educati...ariations.html

Some of my pix include the time of Sandy, which didn't have the same surge here as up north, but was still over the banks from time to time, and the docks awash. THAT would have been the time to go, as the channel would have been ok anywhere, probably, for us, rather than just the tiny strip near the south side...

L8R, y'all...

wrote:

Currently working on finding the right sized nipple for the end of our VHF cable in order to install the new helm antenna, and other small jobs before we splash on a lunar high tide.

What's a "lunar high tide?" Did you mean to say "spring tide?"

For the nautically inclined, yes. However, the most folks who are interested in our departure are not, so we simplify rather than have to explain.

However, it's a commonly accepted notation:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/educati...ariations.html

Some of my pix include the time of Sandy, which didn't have the same surge here as up north, but was still over the banks from time to time, and the docks awash. THAT would have been the time to go, as the channel would have been ok anywhere, probably, for us, rather than just the tiny strip near the south side...

L8R, y'all...

PS this is the right time for us, as well, from the above cite:

When the Earth is closest to the sun (perihelion), which occurs about January 2 of each calendar year, the tidal ranges are enhanced.

"Flying Pig" wrote
in message ...

PS this is the right time for us, as well, from the above cite:

When the Earth is closest to the sun (perihelion), which occurs
about January 2 of each calendar year, the tidal ranges are
enhanced.

Not necessarily, Skippy. Only if the close approach to the sun
coincides with a full or new moon.

It looks like the LAST week in January 2013 would be better than
the first week as the Earth will not travel far prom perihelion in that
short time. Also, there on the East Coast of Florida sustained and
strong onshore winds play an important role. It appears that there
won't be much of that around the first few days of January 2013.

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-january-2013.phtml

You sure don't want to run aground and scrape the paint from the
bottom of your keel first thing after being splashed. Hell, if I had
your abundance of money I'd use one of these to splash into
deep water.

http://www.bush-planes.com/images/SikorskySkyCrane.jpg

Even with all the additional stuff you've added to the "Flying Pig"
she's probably not much heavier than the battle tank. And,
consider this: Photos of the "Flying Pig" actually flying would
be priceless.

--
Sir Gregory

--
Sir Gregory

On Friday, December 28, 2012 10:36:57 AM UTC-5, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
"Flying Pig" wrote

in message ...

[...]

:{)) We never know. We might be around for the last one. However, as the difference in neap vs spring here is inches, we'll probably not worry about it all that much.

However, whenever I'm allowed access to the computer again, I'll show some of the Sandy pix against the current lunar high. There's a couple foot difference; it would have been a piece of cake to get out at any time, then, as we had lots of onshore surge...

L8R

Skip

Skippy repower Gordon Cruising 0 July 24th 10 12:18 AM
Skippy Sycophants Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 24 November 5th 08 07:38 PM
Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
For Capt. Francis, Harry, vic Smith, Calif Bill, John H , and others in your age group. Tim General 9 May 28th 07 04:16 AM