Default Getting to the bottom of it...

Today was the litmus test of our months of back- and arm-breaking work on the bottom of our boat. We repaired everything there was to repair, dried everything which was wet, and then took what most of the observers thought was entirely too long to get it fair.

Today saw the first coat of two-part epoxy barrier coat applied, about 2 gallons. We'd been warned that we'd see all manner of horrible things, from bubbles to pits to waves, all of which would be cured before the next coat went on.

We must have done something wrong, because there's not the first instance of any of the above. Very knowledgeable folks in the yard, who have wandered over today, not quite believing the scuttlebutt that we were, in fact, actually applying barrier coat, finally (there's a pool on whether we'll be launched before the end of the year, or will it be before Independence Day), have said it looks like it just came out of the factory.

We're very sore, and very pleased. We got up before dawn to beat the usual afternoon rain showers, but there have been none so far, of course. I'd have loved to have had a bit more sleep, but we'll hit the hay early and do it all over again, tomorrow, including moving all the jack stands again (leaving open spots to touch up, of course).

Pictures later, when I'm allowed to spend time on my computer (the Admiral sees my computer as the devil, and my time there as sinning grievously) :{))

L8R

Skip, sore and beyond pleased

On 19/08/2012 8:35 PM, Skip Gundlach wrote:
[...]

Well done that man.
Carry on.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message

[trim boring stuff]

Pictures later, when I'm allowed to spend time on my computer
(the Admiral sees my computer as the devil, and my time there
as sinning grievously) :{))

A manly sailor would not abide any such distaff-side, control fetish
delusions.

Get her drunk, rip her clothes off, drag her, kicking and screaming, into the
V-berth with her fluff-head towards the prow, spread her legs wide and bowline
her ankles to port and starboard. Have your way with her. If she as much as
squeaks, stuff a monkey's fist into her mouth and continue having your way
with her. Repeat as necessary.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:35:41 -0700 (PDT), Skip Gundlach
wrote:

We must have done something wrong, because there's not the first instance of any of the above. Very knowledgeable
folks in the yard, who have wandered over today, not quite believing the scuttlebutt that we were, in fact, actually applying
barrier coat, finally (there's a pool on whether we'll be launched before the end of the year, or will it be before
Independence Day), have said it looks like it just came out of the factory.

===

Congratulations, sounds like you're on the last lap.

How many barrier coats do you plan?

wrote:

We must have done something wrong, because there's not the first instance
of any of the above. Very knowledgeable
folks in the yard, who have wandered over today, not quite believing the
scuttlebutt that we were, in fact, actually applying
barrier coat, finally (there's a pool on whether we'll be launched before
the end of the year, or will it be before
Independence Day), have said it looks like it just came out of the
factory.

===

Congratulations, sounds like you're on the last lap.

How many barrier coats do you plan?

Hi,

We use 3/8, plastic-core rollers, and 4 pours (paint trays full) which, at
the end, were under 2G total; multiple readings show 6 mils wet, which
according to the rep, works out to 4.3 dry per coat. That would make it ~17
mils, with the final coat being assuredly over 20, a good safety margin, in
our opinion. That final coat will be of a contrasting color (gray) to
assure notice if it's breached. The barrier coat was $32.99/G, both in the
5G and this last 1G kit (one each resin and hardener).

Also, mentally reviewing, and, having finished the first 5G kit, I note that
the first coat took more than 2G, but we JUST made it to/thru the 4th coat.
We stripe-coated each of the jackstand blanks before doing the next coats,
so those, if anything, are over-coated rather than too thin (we rolled over
the stripe coat as we did the entire bottom).

We're putting on their N51-45 bottom paint, at $83.50/G, too. It's the
under-10-knots, stationary most of the time, variety. More copper than the
highest of most of the other brands which range from 175 to well over 200;
it was tested extensively in Biscayne Bay, similar to our environment where
we expect to cruise. We'll use two colors; the rep sez it should be good for
3-4 years. We got 4 years from our first 2-color application of at-the-time
West's best, which was quite a bit more copper, if my memory serves me
properly. So, we'll see how this does, but, absent hard paint, it's the
highest concentration of copper currently available.

L8R

Skip
--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Bottom cleaning vs bottom painting Frogwatch General 0 March 25th 10 03:43 AM
No bottom yet! Charles Momsen ASA 0 October 11th 08 05:14 PM
Bottom Paint daojones ASA 11 August 3rd 06 04:27 AM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Completely scraped bottom. What proceedure should I follow to seal the bottom? boatalec Electronics 4 April 5th 04 05:21 PM