Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:35:41 -0700 (PDT), Skip Gundlach
wrote:

We must have done something wrong, because there's not the first instance
of any of the above. Very knowledgeable
folks in the yard, who have wandered over today, not quite believing the
scuttlebutt that we were, in fact, actually applying
barrier coat, finally (there's a pool on whether we'll be launched before
the end of the year, or will it be before
Independence Day), have said it looks like it just came out of the
factory.

===

Congratulations, sounds like you're on the last lap.

How many barrier coats do you plan?

Hi,

We use 3/8, plastic-core rollers, and 4 pours (paint trays full) which, at
the end, were under 2G total; multiple readings show 6 mils wet, which
according to the rep, works out to 4.3 dry per coat. That would make it ~17
mils, with the final coat being assuredly over 20, a good safety margin, in
our opinion. That final coat will be of a contrasting color (gray) to
assure notice if it's breached. The barrier coat was $32.99/G, both in the
5G and this last 1G kit (one each resin and hardener).

Also, mentally reviewing, and, having finished the first 5G kit, I note that
the first coat took more than 2G, but we JUST made it to/thru the 4th coat.
We stripe-coated each of the jackstand blanks before doing the next coats,
so those, if anything, are over-coated rather than too thin (we rolled over
the stripe coat as we did the entire bottom).

We're putting on their N51-45 bottom paint, at $83.50/G, too. It's the
under-10-knots, stationary most of the time, variety. More copper than the
highest of most of the other brands which range from 175 to well over 200;
it was tested extensively in Biscayne Bay, similar to our environment where
we expect to cruise. We'll use two colors; the rep sez it should be good for
3-4 years. We got 4 years from our first 2-color application of at-the-time
West's best, which was quite a bit more copper, if my memory serves me
properly. So, we'll see how this does, but, absent hard paint, it's the
highest concentration of copper currently available.

L8R

Skip
--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson