Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default how necessary is a windlass

OK, I have not hauled my anchor in the last 6 months but then it was
not too hard (28' 8000lb boat). Am I missing something? Does hauling
the anchor (slowly) get that much harder as one gets older (I am 55).
Generally, I haul her in slowly allowing the boats momentum to do most
of the work until the rode is vertical. That is when it requires a
bit of pull. I also use 1/2" nylon rode with 30' of chain so I am not
hauling all chain.
Does it get that much harder with a larger boat?
In place of a windlass, why not mount an old manual winch on the bow
and use it to help haul it in?

What battery for windlass? [email protected] Cruising 13 May 26th 08 09:25 PM
Windlass wiring jonasb Boat Building 3 May 25th 05 04:05 PM
Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass advice Gary General 6 August 21st 04 03:47 PM
Anybody need a windlass? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 0 September 23rd 03 12:43 AM