Default how necessary is a windlass

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
OK, I have not hauled my anchor in the last 6 months but then it was
not too hard (28' 8000lb boat). Am I missing something? Does hauling
the anchor (slowly) get that much harder as one gets older (I am 55).
Generally, I haul her in slowly allowing the boats momentum to do most
of the work until the rode is vertical. That is when it requires a
bit of pull. I also use 1/2" nylon rode with 30' of chain so I am not
hauling all chain.
Does it get that much harder with a larger boat?
In place of a windlass, why not mount an old manual winch on the bow
and use it to help haul it in?

If you find yourself actually needing an anchor windlass then it should tell
you that what you really need is a smaller boat with smaller ground tackle.
Or, you might need to examine your technique. If you can't brute force
something perhaps you can finesse it - like using the displacement of your
hull to break the anchor free or reducing the chain length or using the
(heaven forbid) the auxiliary. Just a thought.

Wilbur Hubbard