Default how necessary is a windlass

"Waldo" wrote in message
b.com...
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
OK, I have not hauled my anchor in the last 6 months but then it was
not too hard (28' 8000lb boat). Am I missing something? Does hauling
the anchor (slowly) get that much harder as one gets older (I am 55).
Generally, I haul her in slowly allowing the boats momentum to do most
of the work until the rode is vertical. That is when it requires a
bit of pull. I also use 1/2" nylon rode with 30' of chain so I am not
hauling all chain.
Does it get that much harder with a larger boat?
In place of a windlass, why not mount an old manual winch on the bow
and use it to help haul it in?

If you find yourself actually needing an anchor windlass then it should
tell you that what you really need is a smaller boat with smaller ground
tackle. Or, you might need to examine your technique. If you can't brute
force something perhaps you can finesse it - like using the displacement
of your hull to break the anchor free or reducing the chain length or
using the (heaven forbid) the auxiliary. Just a thought.

Wilbur Hubbard

A windlass is standard equipment on all serious boats, but as you say, a
day sailor like yours can make do without one.

Windlass = big electrical consumption = big motor with big alternator or =
big, stand-alone generator = big wiring = big battery bank = big weight =
big expense = big complications = big nuisance = big headache, etc. Is that
what sailing is supposed to be all about?

Waldo, the biggest part of the discussion here concerns aging sailors. There
comes a time when we MUST recognize the limitations that age imposes upon
us. In the case of ground tackle, the limitations are mostly due to a
reduced capacity in the aged to handle heavy weights. Sure, a windlass can
substitute but what happens when the windlass fails? Then the aged sailor is
stuck with no viable options often in dangerous situations. Would it not be
better to avoid danger than ask for it?

Would it not be wise for aged sailors to consider downsizing? Is it not more
gratifying to sail something one can still handle instead of being at the
mercy of systems that often fail at the worst possible times?

Just a thought. This bigger is better attitude is just plain stupid.

Wilbur Hubbard