Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

In article 07f06dc5-c126-4d4c-aa06-
,
says...

OK, I have not hauled my anchor in the last 6 months but then it was
not too hard (28' 8000lb boat). Am I missing something? Does hauling
the anchor (slowly) get that much harder as one gets older (I am 55).
Generally, I haul her in slowly allowing the boats momentum to do most
of the work until the rode is vertical. That is when it requires a
bit of pull. I also use 1/2" nylon rode with 30' of chain so I am not
hauling all chain.
Does it get that much harder with a larger boat?
In place of a windlass, why not mount an old manual winch on the bow
and use it to help haul it in?

Here in the Northwest a lot of boats over 30' use all-chain rodes.
Those are really not fun to handle manually.

A winch might work, but it would probably have to be self tailing.
It also might not last long with constant exposure to spray, mud
and sand. There's also the problem of tailing it off and getting
the line into the locker or bucket or whatever.

How much scope do you usually have out? How well will you be
able to handle things if there is wind or currents? These
are the things that make a second person really handy.

Mark Borgerson