Default how necessary is a windlass

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:50:05 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:08:50 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
om

You could just drop your sail and you'd still be going. That's cool.

Just like Tom Sawyer going down the Mississippi . . .

Yes... I wonder if that's all a couple of people here can manage?

Like poor Bruce? LOL. He has to wait for the occasional Tsunami. Hey, I
heard Thailand just had a 7.0 RS earthquake. I hope it didn't wreck Bruce's
dock.

Wilbur Hubbard

Willie-boy, you are positively amazing. To be frank I have never
witnessed anyone, on any news group, who so positively lusted to
expose his ignorance to so many, so often.

Apparently you have Thailand mixed up with Japan as Thailand
hasn't had a 7.0 earthquake in years. Myanmar (used to be called
Burma) just had one that's effect carried over to Chiang Rai. Rather
like an earthquake in East Overshoe, Vermont, and you prattling about
"Big earthquake in America".

As George Eliot once said, "blessed is the man who, having nothing to
say, abstains from giving us evidence of the fact."

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
snip

Willy-boy I keep telling you that you flaunt your ignorance every time
you open your mouth.

Sadly you don't listen.

A real sailor such as myself has learned to ignore the squeakings and
droppings of a dock rat.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:50:05 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message

[...]

Wake up, Bruce!

http://news.lalate.com/2011/03/24/my...ross-thailand/

Poor Bruce can't win for losing!

Wilbur Hubbard - always knows of which he speaks.

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
snippage

Thus speaks Capt. (outboard) Willie. Can anyone say Hypocrite? Or
Phoney?

I'm sure your wife, children and grandchildren all use the words frequently
when they talk about you. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:08:15 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Pssst! Bruce is clearly delusional. Either that, or he smokes a lot of
those
excellent Thai sticks.

Waaaky tabaaacy LOL

If I were Bruce, I'd probably do the same thing. Get stoned all the time to
try to forget my failure to complete a circumnavigation and ending up stuck
in a third-world backwater being a hen-pecked hubby. snicker

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:57:10 -0700, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 07:20:53 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:47:56 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:26:47 -0400, Ernie wrote:

While you're on the subject of ecology Wilbur, would you mind telling
us
why you think dumping your pee and turds into coastal waters is OK.

I believe he has a 2 cycle outboard also, talk about oil in the water.

The Tohatsu 6HP is a four-stroke motor and meets Ultra Low emission
standards.

Not only that, but it is rarely used - unlike your diesel boat which
uses
the engine every time it gets underway. My sailing yacht moves about
98% of
the time under sail. Your diesel boat moves 100% of the time under the
pollution-making diesel. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And, probably even when you're not underway, you're running a diesel
powered
generator. So, in effect, you pollute 24/7 when you're out cruising.

So, stop trying to change the subject. Just admit your irresponsible and
selfish attitude concerning your willingness to pollute the very air we
breathe just because you honestly feel your recreation is more important
than our health.

Wilbur Hubbard

Ah Willie-boy but you are rationalizing your need for a motor, aren't
you. A famous (armchair) sailor like you admitting that he needs a
motor. I'm ashamed of you.

Better read another book to teach you how to sail without a motor and
then you can be 100%.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I didn't see him rationalizing anything like that. He said he uses it
rarely and appropriately. How is that a rationalization?

At best it is rationalization. for one who frequently extols his great
skill in pure sailing to be found out to have a (Ugh) motor and to
admit that he uses it appropriately... How can one who is such a
skilled sailor use a motor appropriately?

Given that, they say, life is a learning process, perhaps you would
like to take a look at the dictionary:

Hypocrite:
A person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she
does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives

Or perhaps, to use the vernacular:

Phoney:
A person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not
hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives

If you knew how to use a dictionary, Bruce, you wouldn't have misspelled
'phony.'

SMACKDOWN!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:26:47 -0400, Ernie wrote:

snip

While you're on the subject of ecology Wilbur, would you mind telling us
why you think dumping your pee and turds into coastal waters is OK.

Of course it is O.K. after all, it is Willie-Boy Hubbard (the armchair
sailor) who is doing it.

(If it were you THEN it would be pollution)

Since when has it become illegal to feed the fish, snails, crabs, etc.?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:19:55 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:38:06 -0700, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

However, part of the problem in that conversion is that you can
get a 36' sailboat in decent condition for about half the cost
of a 36' trawler.

Considering that the trawler probably has more than twice as much
livable space and a lot more comfortable, not such a bad deal. :-)

It's a bad deal for the environment as marine diesel engines are notorious
for the huge amounts of air pollution they spew. And, they drip oil and
fuel
and foul the bilges which foul bilge water and fuel dregs are then pumped
into the water.

I never could understand how anybody in their right mind could be
justified
in thinking that their fun takes precedence over folks who wish to breathe
clean air. It's such a me me me, selfish attitude. It reeks of elitism and
hypocrisy.

Really, it's no different than Al Gore flying all over the glove in his
private jet then complaining about how much pollution and CO2 other people
are responsible for.

Yah, right!

Wilbur Hubbard

And so speaks Willie-Boy the armchair sailor - (wonder what he has
been reading this week?)

And, as usual, full of it, right up to his brown eyes.

Firstly a marine diesel is not more likely to "spew huge amounts of
air pollution" then any other engine. Probably even less harmful
pollution then Willie-boy's frequently mentioned Van (where he hand
washes his shorts).

Wrong! Diesels are very high compression engines. This means they intake big
doses of air and exhaust the same mixed with burned and partially burned
diesel fumes along with huge amounts of CO2, some CO and plenty of NO. IOW
POLLUTION in large volumes.

It is an obvious lie when Willie-boy says that "I never could
understand how anybody in their right mind could be justified in
thinking that their fun takes precedence". His posts to this group
alone demonstrate that he feels that HIS fun takes precedence.

How is it my lifestyle is now defined as 'fun?' It just so happens that I
take my sailing life seriously. Calling sailing 'fun' makes light of the
fact that it is a serious pursuit which, when done right, can be said to be
challenging and enjoyable but calling it 'fun' marginalizes the importance
of taking it seriously.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
snip

Oh Willie-boy, such an exciting description, but I thought this was a
cruising group... Oh,I see. One who doesn't sail can't be a cruiser
and is left little choice but to describe his shore side experiences.

Like when you bore us with descriptions of your wife, children and
grandchildren, Grandpa?

ROFLOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:25:41 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snippage

I've seen way more sailors who use their engine as a crutch in lieu of
learning how to handle their boat under sail. I've even had some of the
Rubes in this very group try to say it's irresponsible to anchor under
sail
if there are other boats anchored. They say such nonsense because they
never
learned how to anchor under sail and if they tried they would most likely
ram somebody. If they weren't so inept or inexperienced they would
discover
that a sailboat has better steering functionality under a balanced
sailplan
than under engine power alone.

I'd imagine that if the sailor is experienced in anchoring when
sailing that it wouldn't matter if there were rocks or other boats
around. I don't think I could do it, but ....

You could do it, Jessica, once you familiarized yourself with the
characteristics and handling of your sailboat, the ground tackle, bottom
conditions and wind/current. Like anything else it just takes some
experience and some understanding of how things work. With your analytical
mind, you'd be anchoring under sail with the best of them in no time. It's
more about finesse than muscle. Even a big strong man simply cannot muscle a
four-ton sailboat into place. On the contrary, one must know what the boat
is going to do and let the boat do it in the direction and velocity one
desires. A sailboat is like a woman. You gotta let her do what she wants but
you have to know what she wants to do and then everything goes as expected.

Wilbur Hubbard

What battery for windlass? [email protected] Cruising 13 May 26th 08 09:25 PM
Windlass wiring jonasb Boat Building 3 May 25th 05 04:05 PM
Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass advice Gary General 6 August 21st 04 03:47 PM
Anybody need a windlass? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 0 September 23rd 03 12:43 AM