Default dockage costs, cats vs mono

Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

On 6/21/10 2:12 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

Why not call some marinas that house cats in the size that interests you
and ask them...

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

Like everything, it depends. I have been to several boatyards in the
north east that charge by the square foot for on land storage. Many
marinas with docks have only a limited amount of space for
multi-hulls. I think you will find that to be the bigger issue.

wrote:

Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

Over here figure on double the price of the mono hull. If you can do
better then you are getting a bargain.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

The only thing I've ever heard is the availability of slips for multi
hulls. I don't think theres one in the marina were at right now.

Frogwatch wrote:
Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

I've had a cat for 12 years and have (almost) never paid (much of) a
premium. However, its been a bit difficult getting appropriate long
term docking. For a number of years I was on the end of a fuel dock
paying the normal price. For a few years I had the face of a "tee" and
had to pay for 42 feet (the dock size) although my boat is 36. Now I'm
living on board all summer paying normal mooring fees, though I spend
about a month at the dock fitting out paying normal transient fees.

When we went down the East Coast, often staying at in-town marinas, we
only paid a premium twice, once an arbitrary $5 surcharge (we left the
next morning for a friendlier place) and once a small surcharge because
we were in a 60 foot slip.

We've never paid extra for winter storage, but shrink wraps can be a bit
pricey. All in all, I figure we've had a bargain because we pay for 36
feet, but have the space and speed of a 45 foot monohull. However, I'm
not sure this would hold true for a larger cat - the large "charter
cats" have a 22-25 foot beam that would cause real problems. On the
other hand, smaller cats like a PDQ32 or Gemini can sometimes fit into a
normal slip. The best advice of course, is to query the marinas in your
area concerning the size cat you intend to get.

On 6/21/2010 12:12 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

My experience is that they don't pay more but that the slips are rare
due to them having to be an end tie. I suppose you could also rent two
slips which would, of course, cost double.

BTW, some tri's have the ability to fold their amas in making them no
more beamier than a mono, but I don't know if this is feasible in a cat.