Jeff Jeff is offline

Default dockage costs, cats vs mono

Frogwatch wrote:
Considering a catamaran. Several people have told me they have not
seen any diff tween slip fees for cats vs monos but this cannot be
generally true. In general, what is the diff tween slip costs for
long term?

I've had a cat for 12 years and have (almost) never paid (much of) a
premium. However, its been a bit difficult getting appropriate long
term docking. For a number of years I was on the end of a fuel dock
paying the normal price. For a few years I had the face of a "tee" and
had to pay for 42 feet (the dock size) although my boat is 36. Now I'm
living on board all summer paying normal mooring fees, though I spend
about a month at the dock fitting out paying normal transient fees.

When we went down the East Coast, often staying at in-town marinas, we
only paid a premium twice, once an arbitrary $5 surcharge (we left the
next morning for a friendlier place) and once a small surcharge because
we were in a 60 foot slip.

We've never paid extra for winter storage, but shrink wraps can be a bit
pricey. All in all, I figure we've had a bargain because we pay for 36
feet, but have the space and speed of a 45 foot monohull. However, I'm
not sure this would hold true for a larger cat - the large "charter
cats" have a 22-25 foot beam that would cause real problems. On the
other hand, smaller cats like a PDQ32 or Gemini can sometimes fit into a
normal slip. The best advice of course, is to query the marinas in your
area concerning the size cat you intend to get.