Default What does your summer dockage cost?

20 foot slip, water, electric. $999 for a dock from April 1 to October 31.
Vermilion River connecting to Lake Erie (western basin). Nothing fancy. No
pool or clubhouse. Meets our needs with our modest 20 footer. ;-)

How about you?

That actually sounds cheap.

In '87 and '88 on Carlyle lake, I paid $1.00 per foot, per month, on a
nine month lease.

My 27 ft. Chris Craft Cavalier cost me about $900.00 then!

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:
20 foot slip, water, electric. $999 for a dock from April 1 to October 31.
Vermilion River connecting to Lake Erie (western basin). Nothing fancy. No
pool or clubhouse. Meets our needs with our modest 20 footer. ;-)

How about you?

Here are the rates at BP:

http://tinyurl.com/r3qay

You'd pay $1300 for a slip for your boat.

" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..
20 foot slip, water, electric. $999 for a dock from April 1 to October
31. Vermilion River connecting to Lake Erie (western basin). Nothing
fancy. No pool or clubhouse. Meets our needs with our modest 20 footer.
;-)

How about you?

A 30' x 10' slip runs 1825/finger dock 2000/ roadside for the summer, w/
water and elec. IF.
Marinas with pools etc are at least 200-300 more.

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:50:48 -0400, " JimH" not telling you @
pffftt.com wrote:

20 foot slip, water, electric. $999 for a dock from April 1 to October 31.
Vermilion River connecting to Lake Erie (western basin). Nothing fancy. No
pool or clubhouse. Meets our needs with our modest 20 footer. ;-)

How about you?

24' slip, 25' boat, electricity available for occasional use, no
water. $1100/yr with "pay a year in advance" discount. Lake Murray,
SC.

JimH wrote:
20 foot slip, water, electric. $999 for a dock from April 1 to October 31.
Vermilion River connecting to Lake Erie (western basin). Nothing fancy. No
pool or clubhouse. Meets our needs with our modest 20 footer. ;-)

How about you?

$10 per foot per month. Open, sal****er moorage.

I'll probably move back inside the locks before winter to help preserve
all the nice work that was just done on the boat. I'm looking at a
40-foot slip that will run $515 per month for covered, freshwater
moorage. Twice as big as your slip, but 4 times as much money.

35' x 15' slip, pool, clubhouse, behind an entry-coded gate, in Annapolis
(AMCYC in Eastport)

$5k/year.

Larger 50' slips are $8k/yr.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
NOYB wrote:
Down here they're selling rack storage (same approximate dimensions) for
$160k+...and then charging a $225/month condo fee. And that's for a
soon-to-be-built facility that will take an hour to idle to the gulf.

A fool and his money...

I can't see spending that much money for rack storage but a decent slip can
be a good investment in some parts of the country.

We purchased a "dockominium" 55' slip 5 years ago after running the
numbers and projecting slip costs over a period of 10 years. The market
value of that slip has more than doubled in the time we've owned it. We've
had, and continue to get, numerous requests by boat owners to contact them
if we should ever decide to sell it. We didn't use it the first year we had
it (boat was still in Florida) so we subleased it for the season for almost
$8k. We paid $78K for it. The people we bought it from had paid $42K four
years earlier.
It was officially on the market for about 3 hours before I said, "I'll take
it".

The regular season lease slips in our marina go for $190/foot for six
months, so the Navigator would normally cost $9,880.00 per season, assuming
a slip was available. We "bought" the slip instead and only pay a
relatively small annual contribution for marina maintenance, electricity and
water. When the time comes to sell the slip, we will more than double our
investment and will basically have had a slip for free.

My boatless son caught onto this and bought a 36' slip as an investment.
The marina leases it for him (takes a 15% commission) at the current rates.
It's the best investment he has, return wise. He has talked about getting a
boat in the future and should he, the major problem of finding a slip is a
non-issue. If he never does, he'll enjoy an excellent return when he sells
the slip, plus will collect over $6k per season in rent.

I suspect this is a unique situation. Although new dockominium marinas were
banned in MA in 1991, the existing ones were grandfathered. You don't
really "buy" the slip. You lease it for 99 years, but the lease is
transferable, allowing you to "sell" it. Other than that, it's just like
buying property or a house, except the value goes up faster in this area.

Slips in MA are scarce. Virtually all private and town operated marinas
have long waiting lists for slips and even longer lists for moorings. The
slip rates, even at town marinas are going up every year (Scituate is up to
about $135/ft). Even if the market flattens (which there is no sign of)
for the next five years, we will come out way ahead. People may not use
their larger boats as much due to fuel costs, but they still have to put
them somewhere.

Eisboch

Are you in the top 150? JimH General 37 May 4th 05 12:53 PM
BushCo pigs at the trough JohnH General 37 March 21st 05 12:50 AM
A summer day in the islands [email protected] General 7 February 12th 05 03:21 PM
(OT ) The unseen cost of the war in Iraq Jim General 0 February 17th 04 03:43 PM
Cost of an Ancient Warship Charles Talleyrand Boat Building 48 September 2nd 03 02:48 PM