posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Another Big Mahi Mahi Caught While Cruising

On May 24, 3:01*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 07:58:07 -0700 (PDT), "Capt.Bill"

wrote:
I'll keep you in mind. I want to have 6 on board as we go from Grenada
to the ABCs for security reasons.

Thanks for the fuel price updates. The fuel here in Palmas is $2.75 a
gal.

Where do you stay in the T&Cs?

South Side Marina about 2 miles east of Provo.

http://www.southsidemarina-tci.com/

A very friendly and accomodating place, although limited to about 5
1/2 ft draft on the entrance channel. * We stayed there on the way
south and will go back again later this week.

Yes, I know it well. My friends run their dive boat out of there. They
own Turtle Cove Divers.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On May 24, 5:25*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:02:10 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:
South Side Marina about 2 miles east of Provo.

http://www.southsidemarina-tci.com/

A very friendly and accomodating place, although limited to about 5
1/2 ft draft on the entrance channel. * We stayed there on the way
south and will go back again later this week.

Sad that any so-called cruiser has an umbilical connected to marina after
marina.

We spend over 90% of our time anchored out but recognize that marinas
offer very useful services at times. * On our way south we needed
supplies and repairs in the Turks and Caicos, both of which were
greatly facilitated by South Side Marina. *They are also an official
port of entry with a customs officer always on call which is a major
convenience.

In the Domican Republic the big marinas also offer assistance with on
site customs and immigration which is particularly helpful when you
are dealing with a language barrier plus a complex and somewhat
corrupt system.

True. But between the official fees and the unofficial fees, it was
still less than the official $300 fee to clear in to the Bahamas. Even
for us at 90'. :-)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:13:57 -0700 (PDT), "Capt.Bill"
wrote:

In the Domican Republic the big marinas also offer assistance with on
site customs and immigration which is particularly helpful when you
are dealing with a language barrier plus a complex and somewhat
corrupt system.

True. But between the official fees and the unofficial fees, it was
still less than the official $300 fee to clear in to the Bahamas. Even
for us at 90'. :-)

Yes but I greatly prefer the system in the Bahamas. Once you pay your
$300 you can come and go as you want from island to island with no
additional bureaucracy to deal with. In the Dominican Republic you
can only go legally to another port of entry, no where else, and of
course everyone has their hand out. We are technically in violation
tonight because we want to leave Luperon tomorrow at 6:00 AM but since
there is no provision for that in the rules our zarpa says that we
leaving at 5:00PM today.

wrote:
[...]

Very true. It's a stupid system that does nothing to encourage
cruisers to visit.

wrote:
[...]

//

Smart cruisers stay away. It's the stupid cruisers who hang out in such
stupid places with stupid rules.

Wilbur Hubbard

Another Big Mahi Mahi Caught While Cruising Wayne.B General 91 May 27th 10 01:27 PM
Cruising Equipment, Long Range Cruising - new thread, was PDQ for sale, etc Wayne.B Cruising 9 July 8th 09 02:06 AM
Cheney caught on film, Bush SR. caught on film Gould 0738 General 35 September 15th 04 08:33 PM
I GOT CAUGHT !!!! Bobsprit ASA 2 September 11th 04 06:40 PM
Caught in a Lie Bobsprit ASA 2 June 23rd 04 06:36 PM