posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Another Big Mahi Mahi Caught While Cruising

We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
hk hk is offline

On 5/18/10 8:30 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Nice fish. Who is the septuagenarian?

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Looks like good eating!

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:47:50 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Looks like good eating!

Yes, and lots of it. We need to get some place where we can have a
fish fry with fellow cruisers, otherwise the two of us we will be
eating Mahi Mahi for a long time. We have sort of an informal policy
where we don't fish unless we need more, so I'd like to see it get
eaten up soon. This area between Puerto Rico, the Dominican
Republic, and the Turks and Caicos has really excellent fishing.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:47:50 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Looks like good eating!

Yes, and lots of it. We need to get some place where we can have a
fish fry with fellow cruisers, otherwise the two of us we will be
eating Mahi Mahi for a long time. We have sort of an informal policy
where we don't fish unless we need more, so I'd like to see it get
eaten up soon. This area between Puerto Rico, the Dominican
Republic, and the Turks and Caicos has really excellent fishing.

How many will it feed? Just wondering... seems like you could seat quite a
few.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 18 May 2010 12:35:21 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Yes, and lots of it. We need to get some place where we can have a
fish fry with fellow cruisers, otherwise the two of us we will be
eating Mahi Mahi for a long time. We have sort of an informal policy
where we don't fish unless we need more, so I'd like to see it get
eaten up soon. This area between Puerto Rico, the Dominican
Republic, and the Turks and Caicos has really excellent fishing.

How many will it feed? Just wondering... seems like you could seat quite a
few.

You get about 10 to 12 pounds of solid, usable fillets from a 35 pound
fish, probably a little more if you are really good (which I'm not).

We got about 12 big servings from a 40 pounder back in January, with a
little left over.

wrote:

Yes, and lots of it. We need to get some place where we can have a
fish fry with fellow cruisers, otherwise the two of us we will be
eating Mahi Mahi for a long time. We have sort of an informal policy
where we don't fish unless we need more, so I'd like to see it get
eaten up soon. This area between Puerto Rico, the Dominican
Republic, and the Turks and Caicos has really excellent fishing.

How many will it feed? Just wondering... seems like you could seat quite a
few.

You get about 10 to 12 pounds of solid, usable fillets from a 35 pound
fish, probably a little more if you are really good (which I'm not).

We got about 12 big servings from a 40 pounder back in January, with a
little left over.

Learn to use an electric knife and your yield will be higher!

On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:30:42 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Luckily it is was small one or you'd have to report to that whale
watching group :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Larry" wrote in message
news
Learn to use an electric knife and your yield will be higher!

Why electric yielding more? I get right next to the bone with no trouble.
As a guy who used to sell cutlery, I know what a sharp knife can do. I've
taken to stropping (effectively) mine on a buffer wheel. Even my razor
knives revived!

L8R

Skip, lusting after Mahi, but striking out on all but Barracuda lately

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

Another Big Mahi Mahi Caught While Cruising Wayne.B General 91 May 27th 10 01:27 PM
Cruising Equipment, Long Range Cruising - new thread, was PDQ for sale, etc Wayne.B Cruising 9 July 8th 09 02:06 AM
Cheney caught on film, Bush SR. caught on film Gould 0738 General 35 September 15th 04 08:33 PM
I GOT CAUGHT !!!! Bobsprit ASA 2 September 11th 04 06:40 PM
Caught in a Lie Bobsprit ASA 2 June 23rd 04 06:36 PM