Joe Joe is offline

Default Galveston's Best Coffee

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Joe

Good work, Joe and Terry.
But why take a heavy steel container on board?
.. There must be a way to contain the coffee in lighter, packing that could
be unloaded anywhere without having to get heavy lifting gear to remove your
cargo. A light mobile crane should be the maximum requirement.

"Joe" wrote in message

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Joe- Hide quoted text -

For several reasons Edgar,

When we started the company our plan was to get a load of Mexican
Puma. That plan was nixed because the brokers and the farm were scared
to death to load a cargo at a non secure location. They were afraid we
would all be mistaken for drug runners and killed by the local drug
lords for stepping on their turf. The only place they agreed to load
us was a secure shipping port. Due to the port set-up it would have
been impossiable to load not to mention the cost of hiring union
workers to load the cargo by hand. Sitting at the public warf in
belize was a hassle. Every drug dealer in town meet on the warf at
night to smoke and deal. The one night we did not anchor out was the
night of the shoot out between rival gangs from Mexico and Belize
right at the head of the dock.

Second, we can pre-secure the cargo, and clear it from customs so
that there will be no delays what so ever in loading a container and
departing. As you know we missed a weather window by 1 day due to a 1
week delay by US customs, a 5 day delay due to tropical storm Olga,
the a 6 day delay because the cargo was not ready to be loaded when we
arrived in Belize. Our original goal was to be back in port before
December 1 missing the first frieght train northern that hits here
every year.

So for security, and cost savings and logistics a standard container
is the way to go to any port. We can load and depart in about 30
minutes and the cost is around a thousand bucks. Here in the US we can
offload at will and take our time, overseas thats a big hassle. I had
to threaten one Pirate wanna be with a USMC Bolo to keep off the boat
and out of the way while loading. I seriously thought I was going to
have to hack on him to get him to understand how serious I was about
no one boarding the vessel. My biggest concern was a local planting
drugs on the boat for the local cops so they could take my boat. No
one was every allowed on the vessel and never was the boat left alone.

The cops did raid my brother and a local we hired to secure supplies.
A dozen cops in 5-6 cars zoomed in all at once and took our rented
golf cart, supplies and guide. They assumed our guide was delivering
the goods and they were going to make a major bust. Turns out the
boxes my bro loaded from the guides house only had sea shells and
coral the guide gave him. We got the guide out of jail for a case of
beer the police stole or lost from the cart.

Joe

In article , Joe wrote:
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Glad to hear it, and wish good luck and safe sailing to all involved.

I've read another reply you posted to the thread, about your encounters
with drug gangs and other undesirables. Wouldn't it be better to buy
your coffee elsewhere (I may have missed that you are)? How are you
going to be certain that your coffee isn't tampered with at the place of
origin (stuff smuggled in the container)?

I'm guessing that the container isn't going to be completely full of
coffee, front-to-back and top-to-bottom, 'cos that's a lot of weight
that isn't very low down. I'd be very interested to see the design of
the boat. Several design challenges are of interest - where do you put
the container? Where does/do the mast(s) go? Living quarters? How do you
keep water out of the hold? All interesting stuff, please post details
when available, or post a link to a web-site.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

"Joe" wrote in message
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Joe

Nice Joe... I'd love to try a bag. Can it be bought via a website or can I
pay you directly for one?

In any case, have a great and safe New Year!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 31, 7:36*am, Joe wrote:
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Joe

Hey jo how are you going to keep the water out of the container or for
that matter out of your boat?
Or is that container going to be a deck load?

Bob

Default Galveston's Best Coffee Lies!

"Joe" wrote in message
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Joe

Headway: Nearly two years ago today, the U.S. Coast Guard rescued Joe and
Terry Butcher, along with Joe's brother, Douglas Butcher, after their
sailboat, Red Cloud, was struck by 25-foot seas 200 miles offshore.

*** Lie #1 I saw the rescue vids and those little seas were fifteen feet
MAX! More like 10 footers with an occasional 15 footer thrown in.

Joe and Terry Butcher own El Lago Coffee Co. The trio had planned to deliver
10,000 pounds of coffee from Belize to Texas.

*** Lie #2 One does not deliver *from/to*. One can only deliver to.

Although Red Cloud was lost, the Butchers' are sailing ahead with the
business, this month announcing they'll begin selling El Lago coffee at
Arlan's Market, 514 Market St., in Galveston. The coffee sells well at Arlan's
Seabrook store, the Butchers said.

*** Lie #3 Red Cloud was not 'lost.' Red Cloud was abandoned and later
foundered. Prematurely abandoned at that. All because the crew was
frightened to death of fifteen foot seas.

Coffee sales will help to pay for the company's next sailing vessel. The
Butchers said their next boat is in the early design stages, possibly a
79-foot steel hull schooner that would carry one, 20-foot standard shipping
container, about 49,500 pounds of coffee, each trip. They said they want the
boat and their products to be eco-friendly.

*** Lie #4 Eco friendly my arse! They've been spouting that fantasy now
for years and eco-friendly has yet to happen. All the coffee they sell is
shipped via standard 'ungreen' ways and means.

Look for El Lago to pass out free samples of brewed coffee - including its
top seller, the "Boat Roast" - at the island Arlan's from 7 a.m. to about
noon Wednesday.

**** Whoop-de-doo! If it were so much in demand would they have to give it
away for free in the hopes people would feel some duty to buy some?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bob" wrote in message

Hey jo how are you going to keep the water out of the container or for
that matter out of your boat?
Or is that container going to be a deck load?

You must have not seen his 'plans' which are more like line drawings.

The fool has the container sitting right on the deck between the masts
causing a negative stability curve when loaded. I suggested he recess it
into the hull until it rested in the bilge but he had some dumb excuse why
it was better way up high where it would capsize the boat if it heeled more
than 30 degrees.

Joe's no engineer for sure.

--
Gregory Hall

Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 31, 1:25*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Hey jo how are you going to keep the water out of the container or for
that matter out of your boat?
Or is that container going to be a deck load?

You must have not seen his 'plans' which are more like line drawings.

The fool has the container sitting right on the deck between the masts
causing a negative stability curve when loaded. I suggested he recess it
into the hull until it rested in the bilge but he had some dumb excuse why
it was better way up high where it would capsize the boat if it heeled more
than 30 degrees.

Joe's no engineer for sure.

--
Gregory Hall

Hey stupid, you signed Gregory again as wilbur and we all know you are
nellie girl. What a total coward you are. Go cry like a baby and stick
your head in a corner..DUNCE. I haven't seen you so upset since Ellen
was sailing, while you, like now, and the last 15 years, sit on an
anchor ****ting in a bucket.

Joe

Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 31, 12:18*pm, Justin C wrote:
In article , Joe wrote:
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=149551

Glad to hear it, and wish good luck and safe sailing to all involved.

I've read another reply you posted to the thread, about your encounters
with drug gangs and other undesirables. Wouldn't it be better to buy
your coffee elsewhere (I may have missed that you are)? How are you
going to be certain that your coffee isn't tampered with at the place of
origin (stuff smuggled in the container)?

Customs puts a seal on the container. All third world countrys have
problems.

I'm guessing that the container isn't going to be completely full of
coffee, front-to-back and top-to-bottom, 'cos that's a lot of weight
that isn't very low down. I'd be very interested to see the design of
the boat. Several design challenges are of interest - where do you put
the container?

In the hull as low as possiable..At the end of this video you can see
the design, the container is to scale. The plan is to have lot's of
ballast (battery banks included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrOAhKl3cZw

Where does/do the mast(s) go? Living quarters? How do you
keep water out of the hold?

Cargo bay hatch covers.

All interesting stuff, please post details
when available, or post a link to a web-site.

www.ellagocoffee.com

* *Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Designer Miu Miu Ruched Suede Messenger Handbag - Coffee 0182 Coffee-Handbags, Luxury, Fake,Inspired [email protected] General 0 April 24th 08 02:07 PM
Coffee anyone? Joe ASA 16 November 11th 07 07:30 PM
OT / It wasn't the coffee. Ellen MacArthur ASA 2 December 5th 06 09:41 AM
Coffee Thom Stewart ASA 12 August 18th 06 02:13 AM