Default Tsunami aboard yacht in American Samoa!

"Larry" wrote in message
I'm going to post this email I got from another ham friend just as he
sent it. It is an amazing story with lessons for every sailor and crew
on the planet. I'm very sorry I cannot stop my Xnews from wordwrapping
it. It's below my name:

-- Larry

snip

Stupid people! They are pretend sailors and no seamen. Real seamen know if
an earthquake strikes when you are at a dock - a stupid place to be in the
first place -the first thing you do is get off the dock and out into open
and deep water where a tidal wave will do you no harm. The same thing goes
if you are anchored in a harbor - get the **** outta there.

If these idiots would have put down their coffee and headed out to sea
immediately when the shaking and noise commenced, instead of standing around
with their thumbs up their asses they would not have suffered any trauma.

Even elephants are intelligent enough to head for high land when they feel
an earthquake. Why is it that human sailors are too stupid to see to their
own safety by heading for deep water?

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 3, 1:24*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

[...]

Again Wilbur has a life as a sailor only because others actually
sail.

It is not Wilbur who counts; who points out how the strong man
stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The
credit belongs to the sailors who is actually in the arena sailing,
whose face is marred by salt and sweat and blood, who strives
valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is
not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually
strive to sail; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion,
who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end
the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at
least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be
with those cold and timid beached souls who know neither victory nor
defeat.

Joe..& TR

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article s.com,
llid says...
"Larry" wrote in message
. ..

(Snip)

Even elephants are intelligent enough to head for high land when they feel
an earthquake. Why is it that human sailors are too stupid to see to their
own safety by heading for deep water?

Because we have traded intelligence for instinct. Instinct says run like
hell,
never mind what it is. Intelligence says Hmmm. I wonder what that is.

But, shouldn't intelligence, especially for a sailor, mean acquiring some
knowledge of what a tsunami is and how they work? How tsunamis represent
little or no danger in deep water where they are often not even noticeable
other than perhaps seeming to be a series of large swells? Little more than
basic wave theory is all that need be considered. It doesn't take a rocket
scientist.

If you can feel and hear an earthquake on land it generally means it is
probably within a couple hundred miles of you. (in this case it was about
150 miles away). Intelligence also means you know the typical tsunami
travels about fifty miles per hour. A little knowledge of the geography in
that part of the world also means the likelihood that the epicenter was
under the sea is great. This means the likelihood that there would follow a
tsunami was great. That means these Rubes should have known they had less
than three hours to get well out to sea.

Notice how the author lied and never mentioned this elapsed time period? Is
it because he didn't want everyone to know how stupid he was? Instead he
made it sound like the tsunami occurred almost immediately after the ground
shook. Pathetic!

So, instead of getting underway immediately and safely out to sea, this is
what they did. They stood around shooting the bull, arrogantly drinking
coffee and, if the truth be known, probably coffee heavily spiked with rum.
Oh my, but people like this sure can flap their lips. Sadly, that's ALL
they're good for. That's what's so disgusting about most people these days.
They can talk a good game but when it comes to action they are paralyzed.
They confuse commotion with motion. It's sad that so-called seamen are
nothing more than a bunch of chattering old women who become self-inflicted
victims because of their own ignorance, arrogance and sloth.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:36:52 -0400, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

If you can feel and hear an earthquake on land it generally means it is
probably within a couple hundred miles of you. (in this case it was
about 150 miles away). Intelligence also means you know the typical
tsunami travels about fifty miles per hour.

I don't think that's accurate. Depending on the depth, a tsunami can
travel @600 MPH. As the water gets shallower, the wave slows down.
Perhaps you meant, 50 MPH when the wave had crested in the harbor.

"thunder" wrote in message
t...
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:36:52 -0400, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

If you can feel and hear an earthquake on land it generally means it is
probably within a couple hundred miles of you. (in this case it was
about 150 miles away). Intelligence also means you know the typical
tsunami travels about fifty miles per hour.

I don't think that's accurate. Depending on the depth, a tsunami can
travel @600 MPH. As the water gets shallower, the wave slows down.
Perhaps you meant, 50 MPH when the wave had crested in the harbor.

Wave speed is computed from the square root of the quantity water depth
times the acceleration of gravity. The speed at which tsunamis travel
depends on the ocean depth. A tsunami can exceed 500 mph in 15,000 feet of
water but slows to 40 mph or less in 100 feet of water. In less than 24
hours a tsunami can cross the entire Pacific Ocean.

Different types of tsunamis can definitely travel at different speeds
depending on how they originate. The tsunami that struck American Samoa was
caused by a shift in a fault line directly below the origin. This causes a
slower wave train than if, for example, the side of a volcano sloughed off
violently into the ocean. In this case the wave is hastened by the original
push.

I think the water around American Samoa atoll is quite shallow so it slows
down the speed quite nicely. But, the point of origin is quite deep so that
would have sped it up.

But, you are right. I did underestimate the time factor. I should have
called it an hour instead of three - still plenty of time for those losers
to get out of there.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article s.com,
llid says...
"thunder" wrote in message
t...
[...]

From several reports that I've read, the first large waves struck
American Samoa 15 to 20 minutes after the earthquake. The epicenter
was about 120 miles from Pago Pago, so that means a speed of advance
of about 360 to 480mph.

The average water depth between American Samoa and the earthquake
epicenter is about 13 to 15,000 feet. The water shallows to less
than 3000 just a few miles offshore. With that depth, I would
expect the wave to move near the theoretical maximum speed---which
was apparently the case.

Mark Borgerson

Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 5, 12:01*am, Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article s.com,
says...

"thunder" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From several reports that I've read, the first large waves struck
American Samoa 15 to 20 minutes after the earthquake. *The epicenter
was about *120 miles from Pago Pago, so that means a speed of advance
of about 360 to 480mph.

The average water depth between *American Samoa and the earthquake
epicenter is about 13 to 15,000 feet. *The water shallows to less
than 3000 just a few miles offshore. *With that depth, I would
expect the wave to move near the theoretical maximum speed---which
was apparently the case.

Mark Borgerson- Hide quoted text -

Nealbur is not to swift.

He even forgot to give credit to yahoo for his explaination of wave
speed.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7020633AAvYabf

Just like his sailing skills he gets all his knowledge from others on
the internet and says it's his own.

Joe

On Oct 5, 6:56 am, Joe wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:01 am, Mark Borgerson wrote:

In article s.com,
says...

"thunder" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From several reports that I've read, the first large waves struck
American Samoa 15 to 20 minutes after the earthquake. The epicenter
was about 120 miles from Pago Pago, so that means a speed of advance
of about 360 to 480mph.

The average water depth between American Samoa and the earthquake
epicenter is about 13 to 15,000 feet. The water shallows to less
than 3000 just a few miles offshore. With that depth, I would
expect the wave to move near the theoretical maximum speed---which
was apparently the case.

Mark Borgerson- Hide quoted text -

Nealbur is not to swift.

He even forgot to give credit to yahoo for his explaination of wave
speed.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7020633AAvYabf

Just like his sailing skills he gets all his knowledge from others on
the internet and says it's his own.

Joe

Good catch! Well, at least he learned something. The internet's great.
Want the right answer? Post a wrong one. Tom

yacht trans lines: yacht transport Yacht Trans Lines Cruising 1 July 5th 09 10:38 PM
American Boating & Yacht Council Standards, new or older for 1/16 the price ? Courtney Thomas Boat Building 2 August 13th 06 05:32 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
OT--Another tsunami? NOYB General 1 March 28th 05 06:50 PM
Cyclone Heta damage in American Samoa? mitch Cruising 6 January 7th 04 10:26 PM