mitch

Default Cyclone Heta damage in American Samoa?

If anyone has any word of boats damaged or destroyed in Pago Pago,
American Samoa, I would appreciate any info. Other than some vague
info found when Googled, cannot find any details. All flights have
been cancelled since Friday, and phones and the satelite based email
are also not working.

Thanks

Mitch
sv KOMFY
bruce

i've just emailed my friend from samoa pacific shipping in pago, i was
chatting with him last week, he didnt mention anything.
samoatelco.com & samoanews.com havent had much activity since last week.

only because it is a painfully slow link to
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...64980/1/.html;

"But it is a very gradual process and that's too late for Niue."

States of emergency were declared in Samoa and American Samoa although the hurricane warnings were lifted as Heta swept south.

Many of the Samoan islands remained without power Monday and several roads were impassable, either cut by streams or blocked by rocks which had been ripped out of sea walls and tossed inland by raging surf.

There were reports one person had been swept out to sea on the Samoan island of Upolu but officials said there had been no deaths reported.

Although the hurricane warning has been lifted, air and sea travel between Samoa and American Samoa remained cancelled with services not expected to be restored until Tuesday.

At Pago Pago International Airport in American Samoa, part of the roof was ripped off the terminal building, the Samoa Air hangar was ripped apart, and nearly all the airport shops were damaged.

Dozens of people had to be evacuated from flooded coastal areas as waves up to eight metres high crashed ashore, swamping houses.

The Samoa Broadcasting Corporation reported extensive damage to houses with many losing their rooves and some hit by falling trees and coconut and banana plantations were flattened.

- AFP

On Mon, 05 Jan
2004 17:51:27 -0800, mitch wrote:

If anyone has any word of boats damaged or destroyed in Pago Pago,
American Samoa, I would appreciate any info. Other than some vague info
found when Googled, cannot find any details. All flights have been
cancelled since Friday, and phones and the satelite based email are also
not working.

Thanks

Mitch
sv KOMFY

bruce

from the horses mouth....

The storm did not hit us directly, we were lucky.
Just got back and it does not look bad in the yacht
basin. Not too many boats there at the moment which
is unusual for this time of year. Only saw one, a blue
hauled tri-maran with damage, up on the rocks.
Fa'a

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:51:27 -0800, mitch wrote:

If anyone has any word of boats damaged or destroyed in Pago Pago,
American Samoa, I would appreciate any info. Other than some vague info
found when Googled, cannot find any details. All flights have been
cancelled since Friday, and phones and the satelite based email are also
not working.

Thanks

Mitch
sv KOMFY

mitch

Thanks for the info. I was finally able to get thru on phone today.
While I am happy that our boat is undamaged, I am saddened to learn
that the blue Tri was on the rocks. I am not sure, but it might be
the Belgium flagged boat "Slepmouch" with ? and Jackie aboard. They
just arrived this past cruising season. I hope they are not too badly
damaged.

It appears that most of the island is without power and water. Except
for LBJ Hospital (which has its own generator) and police/emergency
services and the airport, all government offices are closed.

Hawaiian Airlines is supposed to resume flights to Pago Pago Wed
evening, so it sounds like things are getting cleaned up.

Regards

Mitch
sv KOMFY

"It ain't all 15 knot beam reaches and following seas..."