Default Belize

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
He told us that during the "tourist" season, they fish, but during the
off-season (I guess that's storm season), they're drug dealers/runners in
Belize City. He looked like he'd been down that path for a few years
himself, so I'm assuming he knew what he was talking about. He also
claimed that the authorities were well aware of their activities, which
was another reason why they tended to be nice to sailing folk, tourists,
etc.

It figures that you would sniff out the drug dealers.

The paid jungle guides were very nice... as expected. They had degrees in
"environmental studies" and had years of experience in the area giving
BJ's, etc. They reused all tips, btw.

Ahhh. Another "as expected" for you.

Hanz wrote:
What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

We have been to Belize twice, not sailing but out to Glovers Atoll diving.

Avoid Belize City unless you want to rent a car. They are all 4WD
vehicles.

Never been to San Pedro or the other tourist traps up North. We went
out West and down South.

We took a boat from Sitee River out to Glovers Atoll, it is close to 40
miles IIRC. Apparently all the rivers have shallow bars, Sittee River
is about 5 feet, on a good day.

Glovers Atoll has a touristy island on the South end. They have the
normal ammenties there. Then there is a Government research island and
a private island for some travel group and then the northern most island
where we stayed. It is an all inclusive resort - kerosene AND water.
Oh BOY! Right in the Marine Sanctuary. Fresh conch every night for
dinner, we cooked. You bring your own food, drinks, toilet paper,
candles, etc. There was a good sized schooner in the atoll when were
were there but I would not want to come in during any kind of weather.
We dove the channel and it is "interesting."

We had a car so we went South to Punta Gorda and also back into the
foothills. I found it very interesting and I felt very comfortable.
Wife and Daughter liked it as well. Reasonable prices if you get far
enough out.

Punta Gorda has a definite third world feel to it. Not bad, just
different. There I met a ex-pat couple with a little native schooner
that they sailed to town. They anchored out and dingied in, I suppose
because of skinny water.

BE - Belize PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 1 June 8th 08 02:40 AM
BE - Belize PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 1 May 26th 07 02:37 PM
belize Sea Escapade Cruising 6 October 24th 04 06:33 PM
Cruising in Belize Jim Lea Cruising 11 October 17th 04 10:31 PM
Belize Marty Browne General 0 August 4th 03 11:11 PM