Jim Lea

Default Cruising in Belize

Does anyone have any info on cruising in Belize? Specifically, fees, etc.
Also appreciate any info on facilities and routes back to the east coast.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

"Jim Lea" wrote in :

Does anyone have any info on cruising in Belize? Specifically, fees, etc.
Also appreciate any info on facilities and routes back to the east coast.

Check out my web site at http://www.geoffschultz.org/ as I've spent the
last 2 seasons in the area and have documented most of it.

-- Geoff

Geoffrey W. Schultz

I appreciate the comments. I spend a lot of time on the web site and it's
nice to know that people find it valuable. I've always been amazed at how
many people that I've met who literally have copies of the web site aboard
their boat.

-- Geoff

"Bill" wrote in news:10mtojgd2g3ub25
@corp.supernews.com:

"Jim Lea" wrote in :

Does anyone have any info on cruising in Belize? Specifically, fees,

etc.
Also appreciate any info on facilities and routes back to the east

coast.

Check out my web site at http://www.geoffschultz.org/ as I've spent the
last 2 seasons in the area and have documented most of it.

-- Geoff

Wayne.B

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:26:40 GMT, "Geoffrey W. Schultz"
wrote:

I appreciate the comments. I spend a lot of time on the web site and it's
nice to know that people find it valuable. I've always been amazed at how
many people that I've met who literally have copies of the web site aboard
their boat.

==================================

Geoff, since you've already cruised a lot of the areas that I aspire
to, I'd be interested in your opinion on "favorite" areas, and why.

Thanks in advance.

Rosalie B.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote:

I appreciate the comments. I spend a lot of time on the web site and it's
nice to know that people find it valuable. I've always been amazed at how
many people that I've met who literally have copies of the web site aboard
their boat.

I looked at the parts that I know about (the Chesapeake and ICW), and
while I found it very interesting and did like the photos, I was a bit
put off by some of the things you said like

As it turns out, there aren't a lot of anchorages on the Chesapeake bay

Which I know is untrue. Of course, anchoring north of Bloodsworth
Island is not an anchorage I would have chosen. And

The ICW runs from Norfolk, VA to the farthest Key in Florida.

Actually the ICW runs from north of the Chesapeake (I'm not sure how
far, but it is in NJ) all the way around the end of Florida and along
the Gulf coast. It's just that the SM numbering goes from Norfolk
down to Key West.

today we passed a brand new PINK house on a sand bar that obviously had put palm trees in. Those trees won't survive long with the temperatures that occur around here.

The trees are fine - they were still there when we came north this
year. The jets which you said were from the Army base were probably
from the Marine base. I don't think the Army has much in the way of
jets. The place that you said was an air force base near Elizabeth
City is the Coast Guard station.

Anyway, the photos were wonderful.

grandma Rosalie
Geoffrey W. Schultz

For sheer beauty I think that the islands off of Venezuela had to be
some of our favorites. The water was unbelievable, there were plenty of
well protected anchorages and it was downwind sailing. Be sure to
inland and explore. What more could you ask for!?!

Colombia was very enjoyable too. Cartagana was a fantastic place to
spend time in, however the water in the bay turned all kinds of
interesting colors due to industrial pollution and the boat got grimy
from air pollution, but the old city of Cartagana was a FUN place to
visit. Note that the wind BLOWS in Colombia, so make sure that you're
headed west...

If you like to dive the atolls off of Belize are fantastic. Bonaire was
great too, but the anchorage is noisy. Unfortunately we didn't get a
compressor until Panama, so before that we were limited to diving at
locations were we could get tanks filled, so we missed a lot of diving
in the eastern Caribbean and Venezuela.

Other Favorite places:

Anguilla was very quaint.

St. Martin had great food on the French side.

Saba was steep and rolly but had good diving.

St. Barts was a playground for those with big bucks but the people
watching was fun.

Pinney beach on Nevis was exquisite; Gualaloupe is large and has
beautiful rain forests.

The Saints off of Guadaloupe were one of our favorites for the wonderful
town and anchorages.

Dominica was beautiful, but the boat boys drive you crazy;

Ditto for St. Lucia.

Petite St. Vincent and the Tabago cays in the Grenadines have impossibly
blue water.

Until Ivan through Grenada was a great place to leave the boat for
hurricane season.

Margarita island off of Venezuela is a great place to get stuck for an
extended period of time as it has great, inexpensive restaurants, lots
of boaters and lots of things to do.

San Andres island off of Nicaragua was like Margarita but it had great
diving too.

Cay Caulker Belize for an incredibly laid back experience.

Roatan, Honduras's West End for the diving & town.

Places that I'd skip:

St. Kitts due to the inhabitants.

Guanaja, Honduras due to theft issues.

Utila, Honduras due to the ferry induced wakes and noise at night.

Most of the Atlantic Mexican coast as it just didn't hold any real
interest (Puerto Adventuras is nice for a marina from which you can
explore inland).

Colon, Panama as it's one of the armpits of the Earth, but provisioning
is good.

Xcalak, Mexico as it's a one horse town and the horse was on vacation
and you can get trapped inside the reef for weeks.

Of course these are only my impressions. Others may like completely
different things. I can only speak for me.

-- Geoff

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

I appreciate the comments. I spend a lot of time on the web site and
it's nice to know that people find it valuable. I've always been
amazed at how many people that I've met who literally have copies of
the web site aboard their boat.

==================================

Geoff, since you've already cruised a lot of the areas that I aspire
to, I'd be interested in your opinion on "favorite" areas, and why.

Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

First off I'll say that this was my first season cruising and my views
on things and my writing style has changed a lot since then.

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote:

I appreciate the comments. I spend a lot of time on the web site and
it's nice to know that people find it valuable. I've always been
amazed at how many people that I've met who literally have copies of
the web site aboard their boat.

I looked at the parts that I know about (the Chesapeake and ICW), and
while I found it very interesting and did like the photos, I was a bit
put off by some of the things you said like

As it turns out, there aren't a lot of anchorages on the Chesapeake
bay

Which I know is untrue. Of course, anchoring north of Bloodsworth
Island is not an anchorage I would have chosen. And

This was probably due to trying to move the boat as much as possible and
the anchorages that I was looking at weren't well spaced for this.

The ICW runs from Norfolk, VA to the farthest Key in Florida.

Actually the ICW runs from north of the Chesapeake (I'm not sure how
far, but it is in NJ) all the way around the end of Florida and along
the Gulf coast. It's just that the SM numbering goes from Norfolk
down to Key West.

Correct, but back then I didn't know this. I've learned a LOT from this
forum!

today we passed a brand new PINK house on a sand bar that obviously
had put palm trees in. Those trees won't survive long with the
temperatures that occur around here.

The trees are fine - they were still there when we came north this
year. The jets which you said were from the Army base were probably
from the Marine base. I don't think the Army has much in the way of
jets. The place that you said was an air force base near Elizabeth
City is the Coast Guard station.

Anyway, the photos were wonderful.

grandma Rosalie

Wayne.B

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:17:15 GMT, "Geoffrey W. Schultz"
wrote:
For sheer beauty I think that the islands off of Venezuela had to be
some of our favorites. The water was unbelievable, there were plenty of
well protected anchorages and it was downwind sailing. Be sure to
inland and explore. What more could you ask for!?!

Geoff, thanks for the all of the info. It's always interesting to get
the perspective of people who have actually been there and don't have
anything to sell. I'm sure there are many stories behind the scenes
that have shaped your views. Ever think of writing a book about it
all?