Default Belize

What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

"Hanz" hschmidt99@hotmail wrote in message
What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

The situation is fantastic. Can't recommend it enough. Outstanding place.
Don't miss visiting the jungle either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

The situation is fantastic. Can't recommend it enough. Outstanding place.
Don't miss visiting the jungle either.
"j" ganz

but be suer to miss the worlds second larges barrier REEF !
in yo boat that is.

bob

"Bob" wrote in message

The situation is fantastic. Can't recommend it enough. Outstanding place.
Don't miss visiting the jungle either.
"j" ganz

but be suer to miss the worlds second larges barrier REEF !
in yo boat that is.

bob

That would be good. lol I wish I'd had a chance to dive on it. But, we did
lots of snorkling.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 15, 8:32*am, Hanz hschmidt99@hotmail wrote:
What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

Belize has wonderful crystal clear waters and some of the finest reefs
around if you are into diving. Wind is from the east most of the time,
and steady. Nice fishing offshore
Make sure you have a proper zarpa.
Pack a nice rifle (AR-15), check it in and out.

Where are you planning to go in Belize?

Joe

On Jun 15, 9:51*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Absolutely no reason to bring a weapon... unless he's planning on spending a
lot time in the slums of Belize City.

Jon you must have stayed in the protected sheltered tourist compounds.
Everyone I meet wanted to show me his pistol.

off the reef ...from the San
pedro paper

Two men were denied bail and remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison until
February seventh on possession of high powered prohibited weapons. The
two were nabbed with an AK 47 assault rifle and a forty-five caliber
handgun during a Coast Guard operation on Sunday afternoon at Northern
Ambergris Caye. Coast Guard Search Mission Coordinator, Lt. Col. John
Borland, shared how the interception occurred.
Lt. Col. John Borland, Search Mission Coordinator
“Well, the Coast Guard was on patrol in the area of Rocky Point. Rocky
Point is located about ten miles north of San Pedro Town itself. These
Coast Guard persons were based out of the F.O.B, the Forward Operating
Base at Bacalar Chico, so they were on patrol and conducting what we
call a reconnaissance patrol in the area when they happened upon these
individuals. These people were actually camped in a covert location.
The patrol came upon them tactically, of course, and launched what I
would call, not an attack or assault, but an operation on their base
camp and happened to arrest these two individuals and seize two high
powered firearms.”
“They were caught very much unawares to the effect that they didn’t
even put up any resistance or a fight. They were caught unprepared.
One of the men, in fact, were cooking and the other one was in the
process of tuning a A.M/F.M. radio and the weapons were laid out
beside them within arms reach.”
Twenty-seven year old Andrew Swan and twenty-four year old Juan Cus
were each charged with two counts of Keeping a Prohibited Firearm and
Unlicensed Ammunition. They were also charged with Possession of a
Controlled Substance for thirty-eight grams of weed which the Coast
Guard found. Borland says the remote area near Mexico is well known as
a hotspot of illegal activity, including drugs, gun running and
routine smuggling.

"Joe" wrote in message

On Jun 15, 8:32 am, Hanz hschmidt99@hotmail wrote:

What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

Belize has wonderful crystal clear waters and some of the finest reefs
around if you are into diving. Wind is from the east most of the time,
and steady. Nice fishing offshore
Make sure you have a proper zarpa.
Pack a nice rifle (AR-15), check it in and out.

Where are you planning to go in Belize?

Joe

--
"j" ganz

I was sailing. Never had a hint of a problem. A fishing boat with lots of
questionable looking guys anchored near us, and they were super polite and
helpful, eventually taking us to their traps. All they wanted was soda and
something to read. Perhaps you attract the wrong element?

We sailed almost all the way down the inside of the reef to Placentia. When
we were in the jungle, the guides looked scary.. military fatigues, etc.,
but couldn't have been nicer.

I stand by my statement that guns have no place being taken to Belize. Feel
free to do otherwise.

On Jun 16, 11:46*am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I was sailing. Never had a hint of a problem.

Thats a good way to avoid most problems for sure.

A fishing boat with lots of
questionable looking guys anchored near us, and they were super polite and
helpful, eventually taking us to their traps. All they wanted was soda and
something to read.

They were selling us conch for savachi....ummmmm ummm good.

Perhaps you attract the wrong element?

We hung with the locals for sure, and most were kids that had no jobs
and no prospects for jobs, then since we stayed at the city wharf in
San Pedro we were lucky enough to meet all the street people. One
fellows life ambition was to be a pirate, out of prision " 4 days
ago". It was the Mexican gangs fighting with the local boys and the
shoot out. When the one fellow unloaded on the kid that was running
and fell on the beach flosum line... I'r rather have had a Bushmaster
not an oyster knife in my hand.

We sailed almost all the way down the inside of the reef to Placentia. When
we were in the jungle, the guides looked scary.. military fatigues, etc.,
but couldn't have been nicer.

Geeeee paid guides that were nice....go figure.

I stand by my statement that guns have no place being taken to Belize. Feel
free to do otherwise.

Will do.

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message

On Jun 15, 8:32 am, Hanz hschmidt99@hotmail wrote:

What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

Belize has wonderful crystal clear waters and some of the finest reefs
around if you are into diving. Wind is from the east most of the time,
and steady. Nice fishing offshore
Make sure you have a proper zarpa.
Pack a nice rifle (AR-15), check it in and out.

Where are you planning to go in Belize?

Joe

--
"j" ganz

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

"Joe" wrote in message

On Jun 15, 8:32 am, Hanz hschmidt99@hotmail wrote:

What is the situation with sailing in Belize??

Hanz

Belize has wonderful crystal clear waters and some of the finest reefs
around if you are into diving. Wind is from the east most of the time,
and steady. Nice fishing offshore
Make sure you have a proper zarpa.
Pack a nice rifle (AR-15), check it in and out.

Where are you planning to go in Belize?

Joe

--
"j" ganz

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Interestingly, we were chatting with a caretaker for one of the islands
after getting our trap tour by the fisherman (teens, not really men). He
told us that during the "tourist" season, they fish, but during the
off-season (I guess that's storm season), they're drug dealers/runners in
Belize City. He looked like he'd been down that path for a few years
himself, so I'm assuming he knew what he was talking about. He said they
welcomed the "fishing" break, being stressed out the rest of the time. He
also claimed that the authorities were well aware of their activities, which
was another reason why they tended to be nice to sailing folk, tourists,
etc.

The paid jungle guides were nice... as expected. They had degrees in
environmental studies or had years of experience in the area giving tours,
etc. They refused all tips, btw.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

BE - Belize PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 1 June 8th 08 02:40 AM
BE - Belize PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 1 May 26th 07 02:37 PM
belize Sea Escapade Cruising 6 October 24th 04 06:33 PM
Cruising in Belize Jim Lea Cruising 11 October 17th 04 10:31 PM
Belize Marty Browne General 0 August 4th 03 11:11 PM