Default Ping, Gordon ( Weterbeke Diesel)

Gordon, I just picked up a used W-21 to re-power our 28' Irwin. I was
wondering if there was a Westerbeke group some where. When I pulled the
head (needs a valve job) the valves had what looked like a Mitsubishi
symbol on them. I suspect that it's a Mitsubishi based block and I was
wondering if it was based on one of their tractor diesels like a K3a.
Thanks, Jim

James wrote:
Gordon, I just picked up a used W-21 to re-power our 28' Irwin. I was
wondering if there was a Westerbeke group some where. When I pulled the
head (needs a valve job) the valves had what looked like a Mitsubishi
symbol on them. I suspect that it's a Mitsubishi based block and I was
wondering if it was based on one of their tractor diesels like a K3a.
Thanks, Jim

Westerbeke is Perkins in disguise. These engines are used for
generators, tractors and what have you.
Be careful when buying parts as not all are interchangeable!
Have your serial number and model number handy.
I don't know of any groups.
Gordon
You You is offline

In article ,
Gordon wrote:

James wrote:
Gordon, I just picked up a used W-21 to re-power our 28' Irwin. I was
wondering if there was a Westerbeke group some where. When I pulled the
head (needs a valve job) the valves had what looked like a Mitsubishi
symbol on them. I suspect that it's a Mitsubishi based block and I was
wondering if it was based on one of their tractor diesels like a K3a.
Thanks, Jim

Westerbeke is Perkins in disguise. These engines are used for
generators, tractors and what have you.
Be careful when buying parts as not all are interchangeable!
Have your serial number and model number handy.
I don't know of any groups.
Gordon

Perkins is now owned by CATerpillar.....

Gordon wrote:
James wrote:
Gordon, I just picked up a used W-21 to re-power our 28' Irwin. I was
wondering if there was a Westerbeke group some where. When I pulled the
head (needs a valve job) the valves had what looked like a Mitsubishi
symbol on them. I suspect that it's a Mitsubishi based block and I was
wondering if it was based on one of their tractor diesels like a K3a.
Thanks, Jim

Westerbeke is Perkins in disguise. These engines are used for
generators, tractors and what have you.
Be careful when buying parts as not all are interchangeable!
Have your serial number and model number handy.
I don't know of any groups.
Gordon

Westerbeke has used a number of different blocks. My old Nonsuch had a
Westerbeke; the model was a w27a, having 4 cylinders and giving 27 hp.
The block was Mitsubishi, and was the the same block used by Vetus. I'm
pretty sure the w21a is the 3 cylinder version.

--

Are there any Westerbeke 11A owners out there - where can we get
parts.

jeff wrote:

Gordon wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

W-21 is the engine prior to the W-21a and is a 3 cylinder. I contacted
Westerbeke maybe they can tell me. We're located in Idaho and they
don't know crap about marine diesels out here. They do know about
tractors though. Jim

James wrote:
jeff wrote:
Gordon

Westerbeke has used a number of different blocks. My old Nonsuch had
a Westerbeke; the model was a w27a, having 4 cylinders and giving 27
hp. The block was Mitsubishi, and was the the same block used by
Vetus. I'm pretty sure the w21a is the 3 cylinder version.

W-21 is the engine prior to the W-21a and is a 3 cylinder. I contacted
Westerbeke maybe they can tell me. We're located in Idaho and they
don't know crap about marine diesels out here. They do know about
tractors though. Jim

The 21a is the same block as the 21, they changed the mounts, housing etc.

http://www.westerbeke.com/productBrochures/w21_w21a.pdf

jeff wrote:

James wrote:
jeff wrote:
Gordon
Westerbeke has used a number of different blocks. My old Nonsuch
had a Westerbeke; the model was a w27a, having 4 cylinders and
giving 27 hp. The block was Mitsubishi, and was the the same
block used by Vetus. I'm pretty sure the w21a is the 3 cylinder
version.

W-21 is the engine prior to the W-21a and is a 3 cylinder. I
contacted Westerbeke maybe they can tell me. We're located in Idaho
and they don't know crap about marine diesels out here. They do
know about tractors though. Jim

The 21a is the same block as the 21, they changed the mounts, housing
etc.

http://www.westerbeke.com/productBrochures/w21_w21a.pdf

It's a K3D Mitsubishi also used in the Case/IH 245 and the Toro
Groundsmaster 345/345D. I now have some more options for engine parts.
Jim

On May 11, 7:00*pm, "James" wrote:
jeff wrote:
James wrote:
jeff wrote:
[...]

I wish someone had a list of these engine uses which would help users
find cheaper parts. I admire kubua diesel because they are used in
generators, tractors, light towers, compressors, etc. I have a
Mitsubishi K2AS which is also a Vetus M2.05A. I wonder if the
Farymann 32W is something beyond the Westerbeke 11A? I am amazed that
water pumps are often the same on so many engines no matter how many
cylinders are being cooled.

Looking for a diesel launch or 24ft or smaller cc diesel Ratliff Logging and Management General 3 October 14th 10 04:38 AM
Another diesel OB CalifBill General 81 December 31st 08 06:42 PM
Usenet downloads: The Titanic, Gordon Johnson.jpg 291454 bytes HEMI-Powered@[email protected] Tall Ship Photos 0 March 23rd 08 09:28 PM
Ed Gordon got me thinking. Wilbur Hubbard ASA 8 June 20th 07 10:33 PM
Barry Gordon/wind generators now in alt.sailing Maxprop ASA 0 September 27th 06 03:53 AM