James[_2_] James[_2_] is offline

Default Ping, Gordon ( Weterbeke Diesel)

jeff wrote:

Gordon wrote:
James wrote:
Gordon, I just picked up a used W-21 to re-power our 28' Irwin. I
was wondering if there was a Westerbeke group some where. When I
pulled the head (needs a valve job) the valves had what looked
like a Mitsubishi symbol on them. I suspect that it's a
Mitsubishi based block and I was wondering if it was based on one
of their tractor diesels like a K3a. Thanks, Jim

Westerbeke is Perkins in disguise. These engines are used for
generators, tractors and what have you. Be careful when buying
parts as not all are interchangeable! Have your serial number and
model number handy. I don't know of any groups.
Gordon

Westerbeke has used a number of different blocks. My old Nonsuch had
a Westerbeke; the model was a w27a, having 4 cylinders and giving 27
hp. The block was Mitsubishi, and was the the same block used by
Vetus. I'm pretty sure the w21a is the 3 cylinder version.

W-21 is the engine prior to the W-21a and is a 3 cylinder. I contacted
Westerbeke maybe they can tell me. We're located in Idaho and they
don't know crap about marine diesels out here. They do know about
tractors though. Jim