Default labels

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:29:18 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:17:39 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Capt. JG wrote:
Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

On my new boat, the jib sheets are the same color - and so is the main sheet!

D wanted me to replace them all with different colored ones like we had on the
18 so she could quickly find the right line.

While labels and colors may be helpful at first, I wonder if, in the end, the
practice is more restrictive than helpful.

news
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if
they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Sorry... no idea what you're talking about.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote
Suggestions welcome.

You could go the Captain Ron route and use a system of colored ribbons. "Red
running, blue standing." (Or was it the other way around?)

wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if
they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Forgive him. He's always used blotters. Said in one of his alt.drug postings
that needles are for idiots.

--
Gregory Hall

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew
if they can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch, but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

On my new boat, the jib sheets are the same color - and so is the main
sheet!

D wanted me to replace them all with different colored ones like we had on
the 18 so she could quickly find the right line.

While labels and colors may be helpful at first, I wonder if, in the end,
the
practice is more restrictive than helpful.

I think you're right that in the end labels are more restrictive if one
relies on them... sometimes labels are wrong. :-)

I think colored lines are worth doing... it reinforces the right thing, but
again, they need to be confirmed to actually mean something.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com