Default labels

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Capt. JG" wrote
Suggestions welcome.

You could go the Captain Ron route and use a system of colored ribbons.
"Red running, blue standing." (Or was it the other way around?)

I forgot that part of the movie... loved it though....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bubba" wrote in message ...
A sharpie works very well. It will fade, but you can re-do it, and it'll
fade so when you no longer want it, it's gone. They use this method on the
AC boats early in the campaigns.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
.. .
Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew
if they can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch, but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

Not sure if I want to write on my gelcoat.... I suppose that would work.
Maybe I can find some who can print more legibly than I.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:00:30 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
Capt. JG wrote:
Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew
if they can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch, but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

On my new boat, the jib sheets are the same color - and so is the main
sheet!

D wanted me to replace them all with different colored ones like we had on
the 18 so she could quickly find the right line.

While labels and colors may be helpful at first, I wonder if, in the end,
the
practice is more restrictive than helpful.

I think you're right that in the end labels are more restrictive if one
relies on them... sometimes labels are wrong. :-)

I think colored lines are worth doing... it reinforces the right thing, but
again, they need to be confirmed to actually mean something.

My first serious boat as a teenager was a very beat up Fying Dutchman.
Flying Dutchmans had so many lines, some folks described them as being
spaghetti factories. Since I was a broke teenager, all my lines were
the same color. It was the only color clothesline comes in. We quickly
learned to look where a line was headed to know what it was for.
Labels would have slowed the learning process, and things can happen
fast enough on a boat such as that, that you don't have time for
reading labels anyway.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:17:39 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:29:18 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find
that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if
they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother
P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I label the sharp end and the blunt end. It's enough for me.

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Sorry... no idea what you're talking about.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Methinks he's talking about the bow and stern of the boat itself. ;-)

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen

news
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news:EpSdnSdoleRXlW_UnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

Bingo!

I color-code my lines, sheets are black, halyards are red (roller furler)
and green (mains'l), other lines are usually white with colored runners --
but I always try to stress "look where the line goes" rather than "grab that
black line on the coachroof."

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

His boat is a pink bus?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

news

Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

Fortunately, my boat doesn't have a spaghetti wire of lines. I think it's
helpful, at least initially, for students to not be confused. This is
especially useful when I take charters with inexperienced but willing
people. In any case, I'm looking for a solution if you know of one...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
wrote:

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Sorry... no idea what you're talking about.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Methinks he's talking about the bow and stern of the boat itself. ;-)

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.zazzle.com/klclewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

His boat is a pink bus?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Well, I was referring to the former rather than the latter. I will not
speculate on the micro-bus. lol

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:45:14 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:
Do any of use labels for items like mainsheet, traveller, etc.? I find that
when I'm teaching it's easier for beginning students to get a clew if they
can read what's in front of them. I've been using my old Brother P-touch,
but the labels fade pretty quickly. Suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

On my new boat, the jib sheets are the same color - and so is the main sheet!

D wanted me to replace them all with different colored ones like we had on the
18 so she could quickly find the right line.

While labels and colors may be helpful at first, I wonder if, in the end, the
practice is more restrictive than helpful.

I use different color lines but the colors aren't intended to mean
anything special. There are two red lines and one blue in the cockpit
- P & SB jib sheets and main sheet. Seems to work on my boat but where
a boat has all lines led back to the cockpit I have seen labels at the
cleats or clutches. some boats have those slick black "name tag"
labels. the ones where you engrave the words and they show up in
white.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
wrote:

Sharp end and blunt end of what? lol

We are not talking about parking the pink bus here..

Sorry... no idea what you're talking about.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Methinks he's talking about the bow and stern of the boat itself. ;-)

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.zazzle.com/klclewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

His boat is a pink bus?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Well, I was referring to the former rather than the latter. I will not
speculate on the micro-bus. lol

Umm... yes, I got the first reference... but what if you have a canoe stern?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com