Robert williams

Default Yanmar 3GM30f manual start ..Help !

Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar 3gm30f
.. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

Marc

I have the manual start option on my 3GM30F. Tried it just for laughs.
No bigger hernia inducing, back breaking, knuckle busting device exits
on this planet. In an ideal world, with the engine completely un
covered , with a place to plant your feet, maybe you can get enough
rotational speed; but not on any boat I know of.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:12:54 -0700, "Robert williams"
wrote:

Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar 3gm30f
. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

Hmseconomy

maybe you can get enough
rotational speed; but not on any boat I know of.

I'm just curious, but did you try this with the decompression levers off ?
Hmseconomy

maybe you can get enough
rotational speed; but not on any boat I know of.

I'm just curious, but did you try to crank your engine with the decompression
levers off?
Marc

Decompression levers were all engaged. tried dropping them
sequentially, and then all at once. tried with the engine cold and
hot. Engine in fine tune, normally starts within 5 secs. of ign on. at
1/8th throttle. 2 other marina mates tried with same lack of results.
If you are interested in a non electric start, try
http://www.springstarter.com/frameset.htm
On 21 Jul 2004 14:32:59 GMT, (Hmseconomy) wrote:

maybe you can get enough
rotational speed; but not on any boat I know of.

I'm just curious, but did you try to crank your engine with the decompression
levers off?

Doug Dotson

The 3GM30F has a special setting for starting. The
throttle should always be placed in the full idle
position to enable the starting configuration. If
you ar placing it at 1/8 throttle, you are making
it harder to start the engine. 5 seconds is pretty
long to start. Mine generally kicked over within
1 second of turning the key.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Marc" wrote in message
Decompression levers were all engaged. tried dropping them
sequentially, and then all at once. tried with the engine cold and
hot. Engine in fine tune, normally starts within 5 secs. of ign on. at
1/8th throttle. 2 other marina mates tried with same lack of results.
If you are interested in a non electric start, try
http://www.springstarter.com/frameset.htm
On 21 Jul 2004 14:32:59 GMT, (Hmseconomy) wrote:

maybe you can get enough
rotational speed; but not on any boat I know of.

I'm just curious, but did you try to crank your engine with the

decompression
levers off?

rhys

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:57:00 GMT, Marc wrote:

Decompression levers were all engaged. tried dropping them
sequentially, and then all at once. tried with the engine cold and
hot. Engine in fine tune, normally starts within 5 secs. of ign on. at
1/8th throttle. 2 other marina mates tried with same lack of results.
If you are interested in a non electric start, try
http://www.springstarter.com/frameset.htm

Amazing...what a great alternative. I can't think of why a long-term
diesel-owning cruiser WOULDN'T have this...it could save your trip...

R.
Doug Dotson

I have pondered installing one of these. They have been
aboud for may years. I doubt if the spring is powerful
enough to spin my 85HP Perkins though.

Doug
s/v Callista

"rhys" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:57:00 GMT, Marc wrote:

Decompression levers were all engaged. tried dropping them
sequentially, and then all at once. tried with the engine cold and
hot. Engine in fine tune, normally starts within 5 secs. of ign on. at
1/8th throttle. 2 other marina mates tried with same lack of results.
If you are interested in a non electric start, try
http://www.springstarter.com/frameset.htm

Amazing...what a great alternative. I can't think of why a long-term
diesel-owning cruiser WOULDN'T have this...it could save your trip...

R.

Evan Gatehouse

"Robert williams" wrote in message
Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar

3gm30f
. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the

factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

It's a pipe dream - I once saw somebody hand start an old Yanmar 1 cylinder
YSM (the ones with the bigger flywheel) and that was an impressive
performance. I've never heard of anybody hand starting a 3 cylinder.

Oh there was a French sailor in the Vendee Globe race - I think he used a
pulley on the mainsail, sheeted the sail in really tight on a reach, and let
it out FAST. The resulting pull on the rope started the engine but most of
us don't have 1600 sq. ft mainsails....

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Yanmar 3GM30F Hand start problems Robert williams Boat Building 3 July 27th 04 04:15 PM
Yanmar question SAIL LOCO Cruising 5 June 24th 04 06:28 PM
3GM30F low idle shut down Ron Cruising 1 May 11th 04 08:32 PM
35HP Mecury O/B wont start. Dan General 2 March 30th 04 02:37 PM
Engine hard to start = need change spark plug? Sled Monkey General 0 July 16th 03 07:41 PM