Ron

Default 3GM30F low idle shut down

I recently had a front gasket replaced on my 3GMF30 for it was leaking oil.
From what I understand the injector pump was pulled to replace the gasket.
The engine runs fine but when I throttle back hard the whole way the RPM's
come down to a point where the engine just shuts down. When I try to start
it again it will not start. It doesn't even try to start. It seems like the
fuel is shut off. If I give it some throttle it will start. My idle is set
at 900 RPM's. It was suggested that I make sure the adjustment on the
"Idling Adjuster" is set correctly. With the control lever in neutral the
push-pull cable's clearance is set to 1-3mm.
Could there be an adjustment within the injector pump that is not set
correctly? I had not problems prior to the gasket replacement.
I would appreciate any help as my mechanic seems not to know what the
problem is.

Larry W4CSC

"Ron" wrote in
:

I recently had a front gasket replaced on my 3GMF30 for it was leaking
oil. From what I understand the injector pump was pulled to replace
the gasket. The engine runs fine but when I throttle back hard the
whole way the RPM's come down to a point where the engine just shuts
down. When I try to start it again it will not start. It doesn't even
try to start. It seems like the fuel is shut off. If I give it some
throttle it will start. My idle is set at 900 RPM's. It was suggested
that I make sure the adjustment on the "Idling Adjuster" is set
correctly. With the control lever in neutral the push-pull cable's
clearance is set to 1-3mm. Could there be an adjustment within the
injector pump that is not set correctly? I had not problems prior to
the gasket replacement. I would appreciate any help as my mechanic
seems not to know what the problem is.

Diesel engines will not idle if the compressed air leaking OUT of a
cylinder caused compression pressure to drop below the level the mist of
fuel oil being sprayed IN will explode in. The results is it starts
running rougher the lower in speed you go, until the fire goes out from
lack of compression pressure causing the temperature that flashes the fuel
spray....and she quits.

Needs a compression test when it's HOT and COLD....Got a diesel compression
tester?

Leaking past rings, around faulty head gaskets, cracks in block or
head....Ugly, ain't it?

When the piston is running faster, the leaking isn't fast enough to cause
the pressure to drop so the fire goes out. It'll run fast just fine.

Larry

Rough idle lybarra General 2 June 6th 04 06:22 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Mercruiser won't idle down when warm Jim General 2 August 18th 03 05:42 PM
Johnson 70 outboard. Smoke at idle MrDiesel General 13 July 13th 03 10:03 PM
Idle Mixture on OMC inboard w/ Rochester 2bbl carb noah General 0 July 10th 03 01:32 AM