Default LIVE from Morgan City, LA !

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:58:42 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:53:37 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

On Mar 22, 6:24 pm, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:06:42 -0700 (PDT), Joe

wrote:
On Mar 22, 12:05 am, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On Mar 19, 11:30 pm, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

Not to be too noisy but what is the pay scale on a work boat? A
day
rate for days worked? Or hourly? Monthly?

I was hired as an OS at $150/day. From what I understand that is
typical pay for unlicensed people.

ABs get $240-$320 per day

I was told Im off to another boat and will be filling an AB spot
there. I guess they wanted to see if an old guy could cut it. guess
did.

Ill be starting $260/day as AB with this company

Bob

How does that compare with say, an engineer?

Just trying to get an idea of relationship of pay there to pay here.
Of course here there would be no foreign AB's but there might be a
foreign engineer.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)- Hide quoted text -

Hello Bruce,

Here the average pay for a 4000 HP engineer with a couple years
experience is 500 a day.

Joe

Interesting as that is somewhere in the general neighborhood of what
would be paid over here for a "rig mechanic", assuming that he is US
or European but they are getting scarce. Years ago we used to have
supply boats and tugs with US or European officers but now days they
are all Indonesian or Filipino. Wages are obviously somewhat lower.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)- Hide quoted text -

Somewhat lower wages? Once we were working a production field pulling
up dry well heads for Mobil.
Had a boat from Norway working with us, they had a huge stern A frame.
Anyhow things were going good everyone happy till they found out we
made about 400 times the money they made. They had an attitude after
that ;0)

Here in Houston AB's make an average of 175-195 a day. I have a friend
that owns Houston Marine dot com.
My cousin and him served on a CG tender together. He trains 100's
every year.

Bob did better than any other AB I know of.... scoring that 240 a day
gig as an AB.

Joe

For quite a while companies over here used to have different pay
scales for different nationalities. U.S. was highest, Brits and
Australians lower, etc. Apparently some Bean Counter's idea of an
equitable system based on home country salaries.

Unfortunately, the hands talk to each other and sure enough you'd get
a crew down in the jungles somewhere that would get to talking and
some of the hands would discover that they were getting less money for
the same work and want to quit. Of course, it is hard to quit down
there in the jungle when you have to wait for the next crew change
airplane but in a couple of cases people did down tools and lay around
the camp waiting for the plane. which of course ****ed off the rest of
the crew.

One of the startling innovations our company made was to pay everyone
the same......

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

So they all put down the tool and lay around waiting for the plane?

No, but they used to complain a lot. Funny, a guy would come in all
raggedy and dirty and say something like, "I really need a job". We'd
hire him and he couldn't wait to sign his contract - never even read
it. Then, as soon as he had gotten his first pay check he's in the
office bitching about his per diem or something. I used to say, "Hey!
That was all in the contract you signed - you want me to get it out
and we can read it together?"

As someone in the U.S. Embassy, Saigon, was reputed to have said, "If
it wasn't for you guys coming in here bitching this would be a pretty
good job."

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Life is great without customers, at least for a while.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Why live aboard sailors live longer. Ellen MacArthur ASA 5 December 16th 06 01:21 AM
FS: Morgan 28 in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 June 4th 06 04:43 PM
Morgan 51 IO Cap'n Ron Cruising 2 November 28th 05 04:43 PM
morgan 33 oi Gammara2 ASA 7 September 16th 04 01:39 AM
FS: Morgan 28 in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 1 May 9th 04 06:00 AM