Joe Joe is offline

Default LIVE from Morgan City, LA !

On Mar 3, 10:43 pm, Bob wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:32 pm, Two meter troll wrote:

all right Bob!
have fun and be safe.

State of the Art Review of GOM Mariner Training.

I spent 3 hours in a classroom learning about water safety and the
other 5 hours in a pool doing practical water safety/survival stuff.
During the 8 hour Morgan City training I compared it to the 4 day Life
Boatman and 5 day Basic Safety Training (STCW-95) held at Clatsop
Community College, Astoria, OR. This is what I learned:

1) The Astoria training stressed the absolute importance of Immersion
Suit (IS) proficiency. We spent at least 10 hours demonstrating in-
pool Immersion Suit skills.

2) My GOM Morgan City Immersion Suit training totaled maybe 15 min
with the instructor teaching four unsafe practices. the over all
attitude was, ya these things are important but ya really dont needed
em in the GOM cause none of the boats or rigs have them besides the
SAR protocol plans on a 1.5-3.0 hour rescue response.

I asked what the water temp was in the GOM. Instructor reply was, " 40
F to 80 F." ****, the GOM water temp is colder than it is in the
PNW ! ! ! I wonder why nobody uses (IS) down here when the water temp
gets that low and ya might have to spend 3 plus hours in 40 degree
water?!?!?!?? Oh ya, its the gulf and they dont give a ****.

40 degrees? What in a 2 ft deep cove in the middle of January maybe.

Here Bob http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html current and past
temps. The rigs are closer to the offshore bouys, and the exciting
work is over 200 miles out in 80 degree water.

If it's the Gulf and they dont give a ****, I suggest you run back
home and find a job where they give a ****.
In fact as a professional Mariner you should never leave the dock if
you feel you do not have the proper safety and survival gear on board.
I suggest you drop a dime to the USCG as soon as you get on a boat
without survival suits for all.

3) The highlight was the helicopter ditch simulator. The simulator was
lowered into the pool. It held 4 mariners and 2 instructors. We got to
escape through four different windows. So imagine this. Your buckled
into a seat sitting there in coveralls and shoes. The helo drops into
the water and now the cabin is completely filled with water. Then it
inverts and goes turtle. Now there you are hanging upside down in a
cabin filled with water. Your task is to remove the window, unbuckle,
and swim out. We did that 6 times from different seats. Of course each
seat had a different type widow to remove. This was by far the best
event of the day.

If you worked ever in the gulf you would know there is very little
chance of going in the water on a chopper. Everyone dies when they
crash trying to land on the rigs and fall 100 ft or so. For a while
everyone used the slogan "Fly PHI and Die" after two PHI choppers
tried to land on the same rig, not knowing the other was landing
also..everyone died.

if you are not in a pressurized 76 with two pilots then the best
thing you can do is make sure the pilot is aware of his surroundings.
Sit up front and pay attention.

In summary, I learned several things.

A)When taking survival training find the most badass weather area you
can find and attend only the highest quality instruction available in
that region. The “cold water” survival training in Morgan City was a
dangerous joke.

I hope you informed your instructors and the USCG about the "four
unsafe practices". Only with positive feedback can the instructor
improve what they are teaching. If you truly feel they are teaching
unsafe practices than you owe it to your fellow mariner to speak up.

B) For all the recreational mariners….. get off you sedentary ass and
take in-water training from somebody who offers top notch USCG
courses. And NO I don’t mean USCG Aux Boater Safety courses. You may
have to drop $1000 but it will be well worth your time.

Bob you just need to get offshore, thats where you will learn.
Sheeze you're not even an AB and think you know it all.

I have “Safe Gulf” later. Will advise.

Joe

Bob Arrgg!

"Joe" wrote in message
snip

In fact as a professional Mariner you should never leave the dock if
you feel you do not have the proper safety and survival gear on board.
I suggest you drop a dime to the USCG as soon as you get on a boat
without survival suits for all.

Such sensible things like an easily-fitted emergency tiller, for example?

Such necessary things like a complete set of storm sails, for example?

Such prudent things as an extra high pressure diesel pump?

Such required things as bilge pumps that can handle a couple of one-inch
holes?

Such mandatory things as thick tempered glass in pilothouse windows and a
pilot house structure strong enough to handle a wave or two?

Such seamanlike things as shipping an experienced and hardened crew that
doesn't fake sprained ankles out of fear?

Such manly things as leaving the pooch ashore with the womenfolk?

Enquiring minds wish to know . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 4, 9:56*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Enquiring minds wish to know . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Dear Willbut:
Be kind.

Day one.................... operated chipping hammer and grinder for 9
hours. Painted for 4 hours. Sorry no sweeping floors or scrubning
heads.......... yet

Time for bed
Bob

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:59:18 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

On Mar 4, 9:56Â*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Enquiring minds wish to know . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Dear Willbut:
Be kind.

Day one.................... operated chipping hammer and grinder for 9
hours. Painted for 4 hours. Sorry no sweeping floors or scrubning
heads.......... yet

Joined the Navy, eh?

--Vic
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 6, 9:59*pm, Bob wrote:

Day one.................... operated chipping hammer and grinder for 9
hours. Painted for 4 hours. Sorry no sweeping floors or scrubning
heads.......... yet

Time for bed
Bob

You should have found a new boat Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botoKoYkKZ8&NR=1
No Chipping needed...yet.

Joe

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 6, 10:08*pm, Vic Smith wrote:

Joined the Navy, eh?

--Vic-

Youll love this. Got to put top coat on today. Captains
orders............ if its gray paint it! Hummm well decks are gray...
bulwarks are gray.......... luck its only a 145' boat.

Time for bed.
Bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 6, 10:08*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:59:18 -0800 (PST), Bob

Got on my new boat. Its a 145' dive support boat. After a relaxing
first evening I woke up at 0500 and after a sleepy cup of coffee I
went to the bridge at 0545. The capt says, come here.

The wheel house is dark, its still night on the water. He asks are you
an AB? I say yup. Good. Then he points to some things and says: this
is the big radar its set at 6 miles, this is the small radar its set
at 3 miles, that indicates how many turns the shaft is turning, thats
the AIS and that is us, thats the the rudder indicator. That radio is
on ch 16 and that one is on 13. Im going to get some coffee. If
anything gets close give me a call.

! ! !! ! ! ! !! !!
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 10:08 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:59:18 -0800 (PST), Bob

Got on my new boat. Its a 145' dive support boat. After a relaxing
first evening I woke up at 0500 and after a sleepy cup of coffee I
went to the bridge at 0545. The capt says, come here.

The wheel house is dark, its still night on the water. He asks are you
an AB? I say yup. Good. Then he points to some things and says: this
is the big radar its set at 6 miles, this is the small radar its set
at 3 miles, that indicates how many turns the shaft is turning, thats
the AIS and that is us, thats the the rudder indicator. That radio is
on ch 16 and that one is on 13. Im going to get some coffee. If
anything gets close give me a call.

! ! !! ! ! ! !! !!
Bob

Beats swabbing out the heads any day, Bob. How did you get onto the fast
track for promotion?

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 15, 3:06*am, "Edgar" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Beats swabbing out the heads any day, Bob. *How did you get onto the fast
track for promotion?

DAMN ! Im cleaning toilets today cause the night guy left! Oh well...
did get to do other sailor things though Arg

Lesson learned even a 55 year old can kick but on a workboat. I
recomend it highly if anyone wants a radical diversion to typing and
talking about other people who post on discussion boards.
ARRG!
bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 15, 3:06*am, "Edgar" wrote:

Beats swabbing out the heads any day, Bob. *How did you get onto the fast
track for promotion?

WHat does a loser RBC wanna be yachtie do on a work boat? Oh yes,
today I drove the boat for 4 hours weaving through the rigs. later
spliced more eyes in 3 inch line. ate like a king and later cleaned 3
heads. gota stay humble ya know.

I hear im set to go to a 1600 ton boat in a week or so. Something
about me having an AB rate
Arg!
bob

Why live aboard sailors live longer. Ellen MacArthur ASA 5 December 16th 06 01:21 AM
FS: Morgan 28 in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 June 4th 06 04:43 PM
Morgan 51 IO Cap'n Ron Cruising 2 November 28th 05 04:43 PM
morgan 33 oi Gammara2 ASA 7 September 16th 04 01:39 AM
FS: Morgan 28 in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 1 May 9th 04 06:00 AM