Default New mainsail question..

I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

External slides or internal slides?

MMC MMC is offline

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

If you haul it to the top and then set the downhaul, does it look ok? More
deck clearance.

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

If you haul it to the top and then set the downhaul, does it look ok? More
deck clearance.

Can you read? He said it lacks a foot from going all the way to the top. It
hangs on something. I'm thinking it's an external track with a screw head
(backed out) that's not allowing the new sliders to pass.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

Are you're saying that the main doesn't go all the way to the top... that's
there some left over at the boom when you raise the sail "all the way" and
it's getting hung up on the way to the top? If so, then clearly something is
interferring with the sliders.

Or, are you saying that everything looks fine from bottom to top, but it's
short by 12"? If so, then the main is the wrong size or the boom has changed
heights. Is the gooseneck fixed?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I carefully measured every side and the new mainsail looks beautiful. I
put new sliders on too. Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't.

Even tho I have a bosuns chair I haven't gone up to investigate.

Any thoughts before I'm forced to go up there?

--
Molesworth

If you haul it to the top and then set the downhaul, does it look ok?
More deck clearance.

Can you read? He said it lacks a foot from going all the way to the top.
It hangs on something. I'm thinking it's an external track with a screw
head (backed out) that's not allowing the new sliders to pass.

Wilbur Hubbard

He says that the old one does go to the top so he must have different slides
on the new one.
I presume they are plastic so a look at the difference between the old
slides and the new and than a bit of work with a file on just the top couple
of slides should fix it.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

[...]

Good suggestion. That might save him that trip up the mast. But, if it's a
screw or screws backed out it might be a good idea to go up the mast and
check all the fasteners lest the track come adrift.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:25:42 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Or, are you saying that everything looks fine from bottom to top, but it's
short by 12"? If so, then the main is the wrong size or the boom has changed
heights. Is the gooseneck fixed?

Or the sailmaker allowed room for the sail to stretch with use. I
would expect that the old sail would have stretched somewhat, so the
new one would be a little smaller.

Is there a black band on mast near the head of the mast? If you race,
the sail must not go beyond that band, or you will be violating your
rating. (If you don't race, this is irrelevant.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

news.com...
wrote:

Or, are you saying that everything looks fine from bottom to top, but it's
short by 12"? If so, then the main is the wrong size or the boom has
changed
heights. Is the gooseneck fixed?

Or the sailmaker allowed room for the sail to stretch with use. I
would expect that the old sail would have stretched somewhat, so the
new one would be a little smaller.

Is there a black band on mast near the head of the mast? If you race,
the sail must not go beyond that band, or you will be violating your
rating. (If you don't race, this is irrelevant.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Good point Peter... not that familiar with sail stretch for new sails, but
I'm wondering if 12" is more than what would be built in..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Or, are you saying that everything looks fine from bottom to top, but it's
short by 12"? If so, then the main is the wrong size or the boom has
changed
heights. Is the gooseneck fixed?

Or the sailmaker allowed room for the sail to stretch with use. I
would expect that the old sail would have stretched somewhat, so the
new one would be a little smaller.

Is there a black band on mast near the head of the mast? If you race,
the sail must not go beyond that band, or you will be violating your
rating. (If you don't race, this is irrelevant.)

It would be nice if people actually took time to read a post with
understanding from time to time before they wasted everybody's time with
some stupid answer that has no bearing on the problem.

What don't you understand about this: "Trouble is, it hangs about 12" from
the top of
the mast. My old one doesn't." He obviously doesn't mean that the sail
hangs as in hanging from the halyard, he means it hangs as in stops going
up, gets stuck, binds, won't go no more, etc.

Considering this fact how does your post do anything but cause more
confusion? Or do you just like to talk for the sake of talking? Believe me,
you aren't the only one as evidenced by most of the other lame replies that
indicate a listening problem.

Wilbur Hubbard

Mainsail, rolling her up question Thomas Wentworth Cruising 6 July 19th 06 02:54 AM
Mainsail question Capt. Rob ASA 13 January 22nd 06 02:10 AM
Mainsail question... Capt. Rob ASA 14 January 20th 06 10:57 PM
Rigging Question #1 Mainsail Bart Senior ASA 10 September 14th 04 04:43 AM